Hendo's Randall 35 Cray Boat complete rebuild, Perth, Western Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carried along with the 12v electrics, running wires for bits of pieces. I wired up the BEP VSR Cluster, the windlass power feed and the two Stereo amps

IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg
IMG_1789.jpg

Y'know, it occurs to me, following all this, no wonder new boats are so expensive. There's way more goes into them than you'd think..!:eek:

Y'know, it occurs to me, following all this, no wonder new boats are so expensive. There's way more goes into them than you'd think..!:eek:

You are very correct! Matt's unbelievable effort and expertise has been and is truly continuing to be an eye-opener for us all... on several counts.

Go Matt, GO!

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: <- - That's us all cheering for You! - - > :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Hi all.
Can you help please. I am after 3 12v wiper motors for my boat and there are so many on the market and I’m all confused now. Can any of you guys recommend a quality brand I should use at all please?
Thanks heaps.

Hi all.
Can you help please. I am after 3 12v wiper motors for my boat and there are so many on the market and I’m all confused now. Can any of you guys recommend a quality brand I should use at all please?
Thanks heaps.

WOW, Matt - I never realized the huge selection of marine wiper motors! Didn't ever look till now. Wiper motors have not broken down on my boats. Wish I could be more help. Hope some here have better input that this page I provide... bet you've seen this all before! - Cheers, Art :dance:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...k1j0i13k1j0i22i30k1j0i8i13i30k1.0.35W7bN6vPm8

WOW, Matt - I never realized the huge selection of marine wiper motors! Didn't ever look till now. Wiper motors have not broken down on my boats. Wish I could be more help. Hope some here have better input that this page I provide... bet you've seen this all before! - Cheers, Art :dance:

https://www.google.com/search?sourc...k1j0i13k1j0i22i30k1j0i8i13i30k1.0.35W7bN6vPm8

Ok so you’re keen on Bosch?! ... cool I’ll look into that. I was looking at Roca but only because i saw them on someone’s boat once lol. I’m after longevity :)

Ok so you’re keen on Bosch?! ... cool I’ll look into that. I was looking at Roca but only because i saw them on someone’s boat once lol. I’m after longevity :)

LOL - Only reason I seem keen on Bosch is because that's what dad was keen on [in the 1960's]... and, so, thinking of your post... that is the name I used to bring up a wiper motor page. I've never had a problem with wiper motors so this is the first time I ever looked em up. :thumb:

Come to think of it... dad was prone to wiper motor problems. He also had wiper motors go out in more than one of his cars; another problem I never recall having! Poor dad - the "Wiper God" had his number!! :facepalm: :rofl:

Wiper systems always seem to die from lack of use. It usually corroded connections or hard dried out grease in the motor gearhead.

Extraordinary effort, Matt. I'm on the other coast, and will be starting a modest (by SOLSTICE standards) customisation of Coral Queen in November 2018. I spent the last four days reading up to p. 140 here, and making many, many notes. Much of your experiences here will come in very handy. My only comment is that I would have launched her for a test (find waterline; check stability; work out ballast) before fitting out the cosmetic parts of the interior, but I also know you're quite a way from the water and only want to launch once! Massive support beaming your way from Greenwell Point.

Ok sooooo it turns out amplifiers and headunits don’t like laying on or near power sources. Found this out when I went to turn the lights on in the engine room and nearly blew up the speakers with this high pitched crack and frequency noise coming out of the speakers. As a result this afternoon I removed the amps and wiring from the electrical box under the seat and relocated them to behind the helm. Great result. Tiny little crack when the lights come on but no frequency noise. Might have to look in getting something to deal with that crack noise. I’m sure there’s a resistor or something I can put in the system to sort that. Apart from that all goo. Still a bit messy but a Couple of hours well spent.
IMG_2037.jpg
IMG_2038.jpg

Last edited:
Extraordinary effort, Matt. I'm on the other coast, and will be starting a modest (by SOLSTICE standards) customisation of Coral Queen in November 2018. I spent the last four days reading up to p. 140 here, and making many, many notes. Much of your experiences here will come in very handy. My only comment is that I would have launched her for a test (find waterline; check stability; work out ballast) before fitting out the cosmetic parts of the interior, but I also know you're quite a way from the water and only want to launch once! Massive support beaming your way from Greenwell Point.

Hi mate. Welcome and thanks for your comments. Can’t wait to see your thread on your Coral Queen.

This arvo I added 6 more switches to the helm. 4 will be used initially and 2 will be blank spares to be used if required. Then I cleaned up the wiring install from yesterday.

IMG_2039.jpg
IMG_2043.jpg

Good access and layout. Per your continued amazing results!

I’ve started to wrap up the wiring loom from the circuit breakers up to the helm. I’ve finished that side of the loom but still have work on the other side. I’ve still got noise in the speakers so that saga continues. Now it’s coming from the sounder/gps. I Might have to remove the 4ch amp and run the speakers direct off the head unit which may eliminate the noise. Will see what happens in the coming days once I run a couple more tests.

IMG_2082.jpg

Last edited:
May the tunes ring clear! - LOL

I think the car-stereo guys use a large capacitor in the power circuit to eliminate that "snap" noise - call a local installer and ask them?

Power caps can help take the strain off the power system but won't take away from the noise unless they are of the noise suppression verity. The wires to the speakers are picking up radiation from a power source that is unshielded or lacks noise suppression. It could be comeing from inside an electronic device. You'll need to run the speaker wiring out and as far away from anything powered by DC or AC as possible and it's power and ground wires. That may involve relocating the amp and stereo. If the amp has RCA inputs and the stereo has RCA outputs, use those to connect them. RCA cables are usually shielded. Running regular speaker wire from the stereo to the amp will cause noise and signal interference. If your amp and radio are marine grade as well as speakers, they should all be shielded to some extent. So it comes down to getting the wiring between everything away from the noisemakers. You can run the system and start shutting off breakers or pulling fuses until the noise clears up, and then try to move that electronic device away or reroute its wiring.

I use to be a car stereo installer in my teen years. I've done hundreds of installs but a boat becomes a noise monster that I haven't dealt with. All I can do is fall back on my glory days and the training I recieved. I hope this helps a little.

Power caps can help take the strain off the power system but won't take away from the noise unless they are of the noise suppression verity. The wires to the speakers are picking up radiation from a power source that is unshielded or lacks noise suppression. It could be comeing from inside an electronic device. You'll need to run the speaker wiring out and as far away from anything powered by DC or AC as possible and it's power and ground wires. That may involve relocating the amp and stereo. If the amp has RCA inputs and the stereo has RCA outputs, use those to connect them. RCA cables are usually shielded. Running regular speaker wire from the stereo to the amp will cause noise and signal interference. If your amp and radio are marine grade as well as speakers, they should all be shielded to some extent. So it comes down to getting the wiring between everything away from the noisemakers. You can run the system and start shutting off breakers or pulling fuses until the noise clears up, and then try to move that electronic device away or reroute its wiring.

I use to be a car stereo installer in my teen years. I've done hundreds of installs but a boat becomes a noise monster that I haven't dealt with. All I can do is fall back on my glory days and the training I recieved. I hope this helps a little.

Thanks mate. I am running 2 amps. A monoblock for the subwoofer and a bridged 4ch amp for the speakers. All connected to the headunit via RCA’s. And a remote drive wire. I’ve done a few elimination tests and the noise is coming in via the rca leads. I am getting some of the below today from a local electronics company to see if it helps. I am pretty limited with moving things so if this fails I’ll try removing the 4ch amp and see what happens.

IMG_2087.JPG
IMG_2089.JPG
IMG_2088.JPG

Thanks mate. I am running 2 amps. A monoblock for the subwoofer and a bridged 4ch amp for the speakers. All connected to the headunit via RCA’s. And a remote drive wire. I’ve done a few elimination tests and the noise is coming in via the rca leads. I am getting some of the below today from a local electronics company to see if it helps. I am pretty limited with moving things so if this fails I’ll try removing the 4ch amp and see what happens.

View attachment 77437
View attachment 77438
View attachment 77439

You're on top of it. :thumb:

Well I was able to sort the issue with the boats stereo out. It’s 99% gone. I know it’s still just there but only just and only because I’m listening for it. Once it’s in the water you won’t hear anything but music [emoji445]... This $10 part has saved me a massive amount of time and relocation issues. I even bought a suppressor for my alternator to shut it up before it gets any ideas. I’ve never been so happy to hear no noise come out of my stereo speakers hahahahaha
Tomorrow I’m back to sanding but this time I’m in the engine room sanding the first coat of enamel back ready to apply some more coats to finish off.

I even bought a suppressor for my alternator to shut it up before it gets any ideas.

Alternator abuse!! - LOL

Good luck painting in the engine compartment. :thumb:

Good to hear you have it sorted to your liking. Good luck down in the ER.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom