Californian 42 - What to look for when buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yeff

Title asks it all.

I'm basically at the starting line of buying a 1976 Californian 42 and need to know what to look for in the way of gotchas and weaknesses and thought I'd ask for ya'll's opinions.

Here are some stats:

-Current owner has been with the boat for 18-19 years. It's lived those years as a pleasure cruiser, not a live aboard. West coast, salt water.

-Has 2 Perkins, non-turbo diesels, with about 1000 hours per (very low - not necessarily a good thing). From what I know, there are no logs or maintenance records. (these are one of my main concerns)

-Onan 7.5kW, hours unknown

-One rot spot by rear slider

-Hasn't been hauled and painted in 5 years but has monthly cleaning (I figure it's going to need to be hauled, inspected and painted.)

-Overall, a clean looking boat with some minor cosmetics to be taken care of.

I can post pictures tomorrow after I look around to give a better idea of what I'm into, but I'm thinking the tag of around 60K is a bit high, especially with those Perkins.

I'll report back tomorrow with what I find. Any and all advice is very much appreciated!

Here are some shots of the boat from earlier today. The rot at the rear sliding window is enough that I'd have to take care of it soon. Bottom paint is shot (5 years old). Onan wouldn't start. Arrived and the owner had already cranked up the engines so "there were no glitches," - I wanted to see any glitches, but they started up fine for warm.

Again, any advice or expertise is very much appreciated...

Attachments

• IMG_6751.jpg
    IMG_6751.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_6731.jpg
    IMG_6731.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 122
  • IMG_6729.jpg
    IMG_6729.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_6722.jpg
    IMG_6722.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_3250.jpg
    IMG_3250.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_6716.jpg
    IMG_6716.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 116
I'm not sure what pic #3 is but, to be honest, it looks a little rough to me. Could just be cosmetic. How handy are you? Original fuel and water tanks?

Do you have a pre-purchase survey planned? A good surveyor knows what to look at.

Some comments (no wise an here so bare with me):
Looks like you will have some varnish job to do outside.
What is the 2x4 i the ER ? Is it supporting the deck above?
Is the rag meaning the injection pump is leaking?
Looking at the engine rust and crystalized salt on the pipes and starter I would carefully check the entire boat. One good advise I got here is that looking at the ER you can tell how the boat was maintained, and looking at this salt and rust I would check the whole boat for potential surprise.

Just thoughts that could be totally off track.

L

FlyWright: I was assuming they were fuel filters, because the Baldwin oil filters are on the engine blocks. I'm handy enough, but my main concern is having parts on one or both the Perkins break that I can't replace. Another concern would be a crank or block going on the clockwise rotation engine (as it's non-standard) and I'm assuming will be tough to replace as well.

I will definitely have a survey done, but I'm curious whether this boat is worth it to begin with? 150/hr is steep for someone to go through the boat and tell me at the end to disembark because she's about to capsize...

Lou tribal: I really appreciate that. And those were my thoughts exactly. As FlyWright said, it looked "a little rough." Do I even need a surveyor to tell me it's rough or do I just pass and save my pennies for the next...?

Usually if you see this much deferred maintenance there is quite a bit more that you don’t see. Not saying to walk away, but go in with your eyes wide open. Are you handy around boats or just have a lot of money to spend on maintenance? I really like working on boats so I might consider the boat, but most people are not willing to take on some of the deferred maintenance that I consider. How much boat buying experience do you have? If you don’t have much buying experience then maybe ask a friend that does to look the boat over before you commit to an offer and survey.

What does a round-trip airline ticket cost from Au Gres, Michigan to Monterey, California? Because I may need that friend here soon!

I like the honesty, sir. While I'm not a complete dolt with maintenance issues, I am more inexperienced than I'd prefer to be, especially making a large purchase. I need to defer to another...

One of the problems with long-term ownership is that most owners have lost interest in the boat the last 5 years before they attempt to sell it. The amount of corrosion on 1000 hr engines would be a show stopper for me. Where did all that salt water come from that corroded the engines? Those filters in the picture are a mess. Guess they have not been changed for a long long time.

I can only imagine what the bottom and running gear looks like. In my opinion you'd be better off going for a higher hour boat that has been consistently used over the years.

Last edited:
I have walked away from several boats that had fewer issues than this.
Unless you really need a project, and can get the price down quite a bit further, walking away would be cheaper in the long run.
Clearly, the fuel filters have gone 20 years or more between changes. Likewise the general cleanup in the ER is about the same frequency.
No excuse is possible for the inattention to an obvious water leak causing the rot pictured.
5 years since the zincs were inspected? I would expect the thru hulls props and maybe the shafts all to be in need of replacement.
At the end of it all, if you get this turd polished up to the max, you will still have a turd.

Only my own opinion. Someone with skills and time may have a different opinion that convinces you.

gsholz, koliver: I'm in agreement with you gents. Although the owner on this boat has been such for almost 20 years, it seems she has been consistently neglected the better half of the back half. The engines worry me to most, right now. Lord only knows what I'd find at haul-out time. Talking to some experts about these Perkins, it appears the next owner has good odds of having to do major repairs, if not replace the engines entirely, and soon.

It would appear I must walk. Now to tell the owner.

Anyone know of a 34, 38, or 42 Californian for sale? I really like their layouts.. :)

Walk away

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom