Removing Teak Decks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BajaTrawler

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Pacific
Vessel Make
DeFever 38
Greetings fellow trawler owners. I have been a guest for a while, and have enjoyed reading about your love affairs with your vessels. There is an abundance of good information on this forum.

Recently, I removed the teak deck from the flybridge of our 38' DeFever 'Pacific' at her marina in San Carlos, Mexico. The project took about a month, and was pretty arduous, but rewarding. I thought I might share my experience with any of you thinking of a similar project. Pictures with captions of this job can be seen here: http://cruisingonpacific.shutterfly.com. Hope you enjoy them.

Excellent post, thank you.

Thanks for posting this.* The step by step photos were great.* I've wondered about doing this to somne of the boats I have looked at in the past.* Love the Defever.

Keith Olive

Starting the same project today...first have to build a cover for the winter...

Great information!* We're only about a year from doing the same project on our sundeck.* Love the teak, but don't want to risk the water damage. (must bookmark this for later use!)

superdiver wrote:
VERY nice job and great documentation!********************************************
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * ** * * * * * * * * **

What he said...^

So when you tore it off, did you find any evidence of water intrusion?

dvd

dvd,

We got lucky; all the holes were dry. The lack of rainfall in that part of Mexico this past summer may have helped. But I did find several screw holes that were drilled all the way through the core and inner laminate. Inattention*I guess. Those I filled with thickened epoxy. *

Back
Top Bottom