Marine/Radiotelephone Operator in British Columbia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IRENE

Guru
Vessel Name
Irene
Vessel Make
Nordhavn 40II
Good Day,

We cruise extensively in BC waters, and we do not maintain a telephone capability there.

Can anyone advise if there exists the capability to make a landline phone call from the boat via VHF these days, please?

Thanks!

I don't know about Canada but in the US we did have the ability to call a "Marine Operator" via VHF radio and have them patch into a landline. It was expensive but very good quality. Check if the area you will be cruising has a Marine Operator and which channel they monitor. Make the calls collect or you will be announcing your credit card numbers to the listening audience.

I made what had to be the most expensive phone call ever. I was coming down the coast of New Jersey and called the Atlantic City Marine Operator to make a collect call to my wife on her cell phone back in the days of roaming charges. The few minutes it took to arrange a meeting place in Cape May cost over $50.00! Piece of mind, priceless.

What about a Satellite phone or a product like the Delorme Inreach? With the price of Sat Phones and such so cheap now it wouldn't take much use to justify it - not to mention the hassle and potentially dubious reliability of a VFH radiotelephone operator. The other advantage being you can toss it in the dink/liferaft in the even of an emergency or take it on land with you.

Holy thread resurrection!

Same question if anyone knows, please?

US marine telephone is no more that I know of.

I believe the system, really now that tech has blossomed the channels being the prize, were bought by Sea Tow...thats why you can get automated radio checks on 26/27 which I believe were the old radio telephone channels.

But thats not to say other countries or even local organizations dont provide the service.

Good Day,

We cruise extensively in BC waters, and we do not maintain a telephone capability there.

Can anyone advise if there exists the capability to make a landline phone call from the boat via VHF these days, please?

Thanks!

An old link:
Pat's Boating in Canada: Making a Marine Telephone Call

You may check with CCG:
http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/Marine-Communications/MCTS-Reports
But be aware that the conversations from a VHF can be heard by anyone listening to the channel you're on.

Last edited:
Thank you Le Mer. We do have phone service in BC now, but much of our planned travel is not serviced by our provider so I wanted options. Much appreciated.

Thank you Le Mer. We do have phone service in BC now, but much of our planned travel is not serviced by our provider so I wanted options. Much appreciated.

You are welcome Jeff. Perhaps that old link is no longer relevant then just in case I advice you to check with Canadian Cost Guard - they are in charge of MCTS’s procedures (Marine Communication & Traffic Service) - especially since the House Of Commons undertook new recommendations 2 years ago. Have a great journey !

Back
Top Bottom