Lord Nelson Victory Tug

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jon,

We are getting ready to do a full engine/genset service with oil samples and a in-water survey on the one I have listed in the next week or two. I am 6'3" and have great headroom. I ran 6 pack sunset charters for the owner for a while with it and it performs nicely, docks well with the thruster. 1.5pgh at 7 knots. I also have the contact info for the BMW Marine North America rep. He can give you a wealth of informaiton on the engines, parts are easier to find than you would think. Give me a call at 910-620-1844 if I can give you more information on it.

THanks/Tim

JMYSS wrote:

Jon,

We are getting ready to do a full engine/genset service with oil samples and a in-water survey on the one I have listed in the next week or two. I am 6'3" and have great headroom. I ran 6 pack sunset charters for the owner for a while with it and it performs nicely, docks well with the thruster. 1.5pgh at 7 knots. I also have the contact info for the BMW Marine North America rep. He can give you a wealth of informaiton on the engines, parts are easier to find than you would think. Give me a call at 910-620-1844 if I can give you more information on it.

THanks/Tim
Thanks Tim,
I'll give you a call soon.
Jon

JMYSS wrote:

Jon,

THanks/Tim

Took ya' long enough to reply! Thought you would never see this thread.
lick.gif

Ha, Yeah, it caught me off guard. Thanks for looking out for me with the link to ours!

Side-deck width of 8 inches is too narrow.

So many times I feel it would be best to offset the salon to one side, making the opposite side deck wider.

If there is a design fault with the AT, it is the width of the side deck. This could have been over come by offsetting the salon. Just my opinion.

Yes Mark it is,
I was aboard and there’s a stretch where there’s no lifeline or railing. Normally I’m fine w that but in this case the house was sorta pushing/crowding me off the boat. I didn’t feel secure.
I still really like this boat but would need a steadying sail well aft IMO.

The LNVT has a cool look. I would just say you cannot really compare an LNVT to either a nordic or american tug. The NT and AT are semi-diplacement with hull forms that flatten out towards the stern so they certainly wouldn't roll around the same way a LNVT would.

Before we bought our AT, we went out on a trial run in a Nordic 42; the captain brought it up to about 15 kts and executed a hard turn and that boat stayed about as flat as a pancake; almost no body roll. The AT is very similar and partly for this reason, very few NTs or ATs are sold with stabilizers because they don't really need them.

I agree with the concern about a BMW engine: it might be worth calling around and asking how many marine shops will actually work on a BMW....

The LNVT has a cool look. I would just say you cannot really compare an LNVT to either a nordic or american tug. The NT and AT are semi-diplacement with hull forms that flatten out towards the stern so they certainly wouldn't roll around the same way a LNVT would.

Before we bought our AT, we went out on a trial run in a Nordic 42; the captain brought it up to about 15 kts and executed a hard turn and that boat stayed about as flat as a pancake; almost no body roll. The AT is very similar and partly for this reason, very few NTs or ATs are sold with stabilizers because they don't really need them.

I agree with the concern about a BMW engine: it might be worth calling around and asking how many marine shops will actually work on a BMW....

In the case of the AT34, its draft is about 3.5ft. Almost impossible, if not impossible to put active stabilizers on the boat. Putting a SeaKeeper on the AT would not be worthy of the supposed effects of a SeaKeeper. The hull bottom changes dimensions and the SeaKeeper would take up valuable room in the 'tank room'.

Last edited:
The LN is a pretty boat but I walked away when I saw the engine room access. Young man's boat, but then probably a young man would buy a Sea Ray?

So many times I feel it would be best to offset the salon to one side, making the opposite side deck wider.

If there is a design fault with the AT, it is the width of the side deck. This could have been over come by offsetting the salon. Just my opinion.

Dan, yes its one of those tradeoffs. I am blessed to have been able to go up to the AT size (41') where the side decks are more generous and the handrail extends all the way to the cockpit steps (see pic below). i havent measured the side decks but i'd guess they're about 14" wide.

I've seen that one-side offset salon on Integrity 466 as well as I think KK has one. I know it makes for a very generous salon but it all depends on your priorities: I prefer being able to walk around both sides.

Atug435.jpg

Yea my N46 was ideal when it came to going fore and aft on the outside.

Great looking boat.
Too much exterior teak for me but, that is the beauty of a Lord Nelson. Shrug
No mention of A/C
Wet head.

Still, with all that, I like the boat, a real classic.

Last edited:
Titan was owned by a Canadian author and re-named "Titan" in honour of his then latest book of the same name. He had moorage near mine where he kept her. Green hull at the time.
I always preferred the LNVT over the other "tugs". A more authentic look.

Too authentic IMO.
Mostly don’t like the extreme swoopy decks and all else. Hull isn’t perfect either but there’s only one anything like it. So if you like it it’s a very serious like.

Never seen one w an engine I really like. Perfect for me would be a 65hp Isuzu.

Ask previous owners. Present owners opinions are probably too biased positive.

I like them a lot though and came very close to doing some serious shopping.

I’ve always liked them. There’s enough wood there to keep me happy. I’m always adding more wood to ours, just this week I’m adding some more teak trim to the interior of the pilot house.

I own a 2000 Nordic Tug 32 and find it an excellent boat for our use in the Pacific Northwest. Many go to Alaska from here in Puget Sound, but I would prefer the 37. Yes, they are overpowered for cruising at 7-8 knots but most have good Cummins engines. Avoid those with Volvos. If side deck width is important, the NT is not for you. The stairs up into the pilothouse from the head may not have your required clearance but the salon does.

Prices for Nordic Tugs are much less in Florida and the east coast than in the northwest so some brokers are actually buying them there, trucking them west and selling at a profit.

I have little experience with LN but they are beautiful. I believe you would have more maintenance issues with the LN than a Nordic.

Waterford wrote;
“I believe you would have more maintenance issues with the LN than a Nordic.”

Much more roll and much more fuel efficiency.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom