AC Issue??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petehoovey

Vessel Name
SueLane
Vessel Make
1985 Mainship 40 DC
Our Mainship 40 has two relatively new AC units installed under cabinets in the main parler and under the forward berth (not in bilge is the point). After Running both AC units for a couple days in relatively humid conditions, the carpet on a couple small floor hatches in the aft cabin became wet. It started just around the edges until the whole 12 x 12 hatches are soaked. There is no leak from overhead and the surrounding carpet is dry.
My thought is that the carpet wrapped hatches are so tight that the moisture trying to come up from the bilge (as humidity will always try to equalize between the conditioned air above and the more humid air in the bilge) is getting trapped at the hatch edges.
Anyone else ever have this happen or have other thoughts?
Thanks a Kyle

Pete your guess is probably correct. Are your units self contained or split units?

Thanks for reply. Not sure i know the difference?

Where is the condensate drain on the air handler and is it clogged?

To where do the condensate trays drain?
Ideally, they drain directly overboard via a hose and hull fitting.
One of my condensate drain hoses became plugged with stuff, the pans overflowed and the engine room overhead became wet and dripped into the engine room
Cure: removed the hose, blew it out, put it back together, everything was 'happy' again.

Last edited:
In that we are only 3 weeks into this boat, I haven't gotten to verify where the condensation is going yet. My guess is that they are draining into the bilge and I intend to drain them into a shower sump basket. But this water is certainly not coming from condensation - not in same location as either condenser. Am thinking that a floor vent might help to equalize the humidity in the bilge? thanks for all suggestions

In that we are only 3 weeks into this boat, I haven't gotten to verify where the condensation is going yet. My guess is that they are draining into the bilge and I intend to drain them into a shower sump basket. But this water is certainly not coming from condensation - not in same location as either condenser. Am thinking that a floor vent might help to equalize the humidity in the bilge? thanks for all suggestions

Gotta figure out why the bilges are so humid. Once you solve that, maybe the humidity will decrease significantly.
How much water is in that bilge?
A year from now, you will still be discovering things.

Last edited:
sounds like the ac condensate didnt drain into the bilge or hose as it was supposed to and is travelling to your wet spot.

check that, humidity in the bilge isnt coming up and soaking rugs.

possibly there is a low spot in your ducting that could be collecting and dripping condensate....but pretty rare.

Last edited:
Follow the drain line, probably in bilge. Check around units drain pan,overflowing? Wet ? Clogged drain line my guess.

I doubt that it is humidity in the bilge that is causing your problem. Most like condensate draining onto the deck as suggested by several here.

I would suspect something wrong with condensate drain lines... plugged, split, etc... before thinking about humidity.

-Chris

Sorry for taking everyone down the wrong path, and probably was over thinking the issue. I have tracked the wet flooring to over-filling the fresh water tanks. The tanks are the aft cabin bed base and there must be a leak in the vent line.
Thanks so much for all the feedback.

Sorry for taking everyone down the wrong path, and probably was over thinking the issue. I have tracked the wet flooring to over-filling the fresh water tanks. The tanks are the aft cabin bed base and there must be a leak in the vent line.
Thanks so much for all the feedback.

Presto! Another problem solved, almost.

The vent could be plugged. Remove the vent hose from the tanks and try to blow though the hose to see if is plugged.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom