Helm Modernization Progress

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
FORTITUDE
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen 54-8
Today I installed an in hull transducer which allowed me to decommission the last of the early 90’s electronics on Fortitude (an old Raytheon depth sounder that would occasionally freeze or randomly alarm).

Now everything routes to a single Garmin GPSMAP 942 xs. So far so good.

My plan is to add another 942 xs and mount both of them above the gauges and Morse controls (see pics).

To do that I’ll need to relocate the compass forward along with two defroster vents.

I’ll also add another transducer and two Garmin AIS capable radios. The plan is to build up enough redundancy for a cruise to Alaska in a year or two.

Any thoughts or advice on my plan?

IMG_1201.jpg
Mock up on starboard side

IMG_1205.jpg
Mock up on port side

IMG_1204.jpg
Clearances that need to change

IMG_1195.jpg
In hull transducer installed just forward of the old transducer

Can you run the two depth transducers simultaneously without frequency interference?

Maybe the new ones can but old ones interfered with one another and rendered both depth sounders/fishfinders useless during simultaneous operations.

Goose question. I think so based on a few posts and articles I’ve read about it but it’s worth an email to Garmin.

The original system had two, one for the Raytheon and another for a Striker style fish finder.

I have a Raymarine Axiom Pro. We use a transom mounted transducer for side vision sonar for fishing. If you use thru hull transducers, you need two mounted on opposite sides of the hull to send the sonar out because of the slope of the dead rise or curvature of the hull on a trawler.
I’m not sure what would happen if you mounted two transducers on the same side of the hull and attempted to use two separate MFDs?
We are using one display that is sending signals out laterally whether from one or two transducers.

If in the water, you can test whether there is ducer interference. I have 3 all on on side .... distance between and/or ducer type do not interfere with one snother.

Can you run the two depth transducers simultaneously without frequency interference?

Maybe the new ones can but old ones interfered with one another and rendered both depth sounders/fishfinders useless during simultaneous operations.

We run two, both happen to be Furunos with probbaly Airmar transducers, one (FF DST) on 50/200 Hz and one (DST) on 235 Hz.

Airstream, if you want to eventually route engine data to an MFD, you could look at digital gauge replacements while you're at it; at least some of those (CruzPro, that I know of) support that kind of routing.

-Chris

While your compass is a beauty, it is VERY large and may limit your helm re-design options. Would you consider swapping it out for a smaller model?

Does the Plotter affect your compass when plotter is turned on, I had a 20 Degree error on my last boat, and it wasn't as close as your set up.

Does the Plotter affect your compass when plotter is turned on, I had a 20 Degree error on my last boat, and it wasn't as close as your set up.

I need to test it, right now the chartplotter is mounted outboard of the center instrument panel.

Another option would be to move the morse controls outboard, the gauges up and flush mount two Garmins.

Trying to walk a line between what I would ideally want and what's practical for the boat.

Is your helm modernization process using NMEA 2000 certified equipment with the NMEA 2000 backbone? My understanding is the NMEA 2K is the latest and greatest of marine communications networking developed to make using different manufacturer's products easier to network.

Is your helm modernization process using NMEA 2000 certified equipment with the NMEA 2000 backbone? My understanding is the NMEA 2K is the latest and greatest of marine communications networking developed to make using different manufacturer's products easier to network.

Yes, bringing everything up to modern standards. Primarily using Garmin gear.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom