Planning ahead....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

murofrelwart

Vessel Name
Dreams
Vessel Make
Bayliner 3988
We've been busy reading and researching but now it's time for a couple of questions. First let me briefly share our plans - 2020 is retirement year and our first retirement adventure is to purchase an ~40' twin diesel boat and cruise the inside passage of southeast Alaska. We have spent a lot of time all over Alaska, much of it wilderness camping, and thoroughly enjoy all it has to offer, both on the water and on land. Our boating experience is reasonably extensive, but only in boats half this size and only in inland fresh water, the exception is a very limited amount of Great Lakes sailing experience (as crew).

Our questions are about training and insurance. To ease into this adventure we are considering a 3 day training course, for example: Anacortes Yacht Charters
followed at a later time by a one week charter. We would do the training in the fall of 2018 and the charter in 2019. If all goes well and we still have the "bug" then we'd hopefully be ready to go forward with a boat purchase and the adventure in 2020. We're thinking we'd cruise the summer months in Alaska, and find a yard to store the boat on shore during the winter. We would continue to live the rest of the year in our current home in Texas.

Questions:
1. Will our training plan and experience be acceptable for insurance purposes?
2. What are we overlooking?
3. Other than the linked source are there other training/charter operations in the PNW that you can recommend?

In addition to the books we've read and other online sources this forum has been a tremendous source of knowledge, so I'm hoping for some good advice and recommendations. ALL input is welcome - you won't hurt our feelings.

Thanks in advance!

Call Anchor insurance out of Seattle and ask them your insurance question. Insurance companies seem to cover most anything but at what price. I really don’t know how much experience they want to see in the boat you are planning to use.

Add some weather forecast training so you don’t get caught by a storm.

The SE Alaskan shoreline is beautiful, wonderful and adventuresome. Too bad the boating season is short. Enjoy regardless.

Welcome. Your plan sounds great. Sorry that I can’t offer any more information as to charters, insurance, etc...

Back
Top Bottom