Home made Anchors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know. *I think I'd rather do my own angioplasty than build my own anchor.

No you wouldn't, believe me, you wouldn't.

Maybe he meant colonoscopy ...

I'd rather build an anchor.

Tidahapah wrote:
That would have to be done with mirrors.

Not at all.* Harbor freight has remote video camera/display units at a reasonable cost.
smile.gif

Ok you got me going this morning.

I nominate this as the funniest thread ever.

And Mr. RickB all these clever wittie remarks is there a new woman in your life or a new boat?

SD

I really dont see the big deal You would be copying a proven design Seems simple enough for me Now that colonoscopy.....you will need your best buddy to give you a hand ....duh

skipperdude wrote:
And Mr. RickB all these clever wittie remarks is there a new woman in your life or a new boat?
H'mmm looks like I missed this thread for a while.

No new woman, the old one is shuttling between L.A. and China for a while so until she comes home I am reduced to finding amusement where I can.

There is a new boat in my life but it is an amazing story I can't tell yet but hope to be able to talk about soon.

It's a new owner's dream turned nightmare.

HI.

I've built a few over the yrs. But mainly stop at adding extra lead in the nose of my plough anchors nowadays.

If you are going to build one.
Over here in Australia. we have a lot of scrap steel yard.
Go there and buy stainless scrap. to the thickness you want.(Pay by weight normally.)
Spend a few hrs hacksawing and shaping.(bending to suit.) or getting plasma cut to shape.
then weld it up with 316 stainless rods.

Cost of scrap stainless is little more than cost of new steel. after including dipping and hot galvanising costs after.
Sand anchors are the easiest. Followed by plough. Providing you have press or former and jack.

A better way to make a stronger. straight fold in S\S sheet of anchor thickness. is to grind along the fold line.1\2 way through or so.
Fold to angle req'd. (easier) Then weld along the line where you ground.

-- Edited by macka17 on Saturday 14th of January 2012 05:05:41 PM

Macka,
Why would you bother to make a fabricated anchor when there are so many good designs out there , (reef anchors/picks i can understand)
It is akin to buying cheap insurance.
A well designed and proven anchor along with adequate proof tested anchor chain is the best insurance you can get in the staying in one place department during a blow stakes.

Why you say Ben?

Some of us are just natural born designers, tinkerers and home builders. Boat design.net is full of them and I'll not argue that there is some degree of risk but w our "pleasure boating" the "pleasure" comes first. Having a good time is the bottom line and a sunk boat may be a high price for experimenter pleasure but the need for gratification from DIY activities runs high for many of us. But before you call us (I'm one of them) foolish or crazy consider the fact that going down to the sea in anything is MUCH more risky than stay'in on shore. Ask the passengers on that cruise ship that just sank. For some of us "fix'in her up" is the greatest pleasure and for others having a new place to invite friends is the biggest pleasure. But for many taking a little of this here and that there to make w there own hands and minds is a pleasure that has no equal. To me going out and buying the best anchor at the top of the Practical Sailor test list is about as gratifying as sweeping the floor. Personally I've not built any anchors (but I may and could) but I sure like analyzing them and learning how they work. The more I learn the more I think anchors can be designed by just about anybody. Many popular anchors are (I think) designed by people w very little qualifications other than their well developed imagination. The designer of an ultralight I built and flew called himself an "imagineer" (on his bus card) and I consider him truly gifted but several fliers died flying his machine (mostly because they pushed the envelop) so when buying products we always have risks. So if minimizing your risk is your goal .....buy wisely and follow the manufacturers recommendations. Otherwise have fun get creative........at your own risk.

Eric

Eric,
I am a Marine Engineer by profession and started off doing my trade as a fitter and turner in a ship yard many years ago.
When I built Tidahapah I built most of the engineering components, shafting , couplings, bearings, fuel, water tanks, rebuilt the main and generator engines before installation, installed all of these in the boat as it was built, so I am no slouch at turning my hand at making something.
After 40+ years at sea and a lot of time working on anchor handling tugs I just feel that there is a lot more expertise at anchor making and design out there and would rather trust these proven designs to hold my lovely than with something I knocked up myself.
I am a pretty good welder but not lloyds approved so if my insurance pick is going to be welded I would rather it be welded by an approved welder and x rayed.
That is just my take on it.
At that I will go back to working on my refrigeration system and my flopper stoppers.
Cheers

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom