Aluminum trawler thoughts and opinions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Badger

We have been working on the design and construction of a steel trawler/tug..

But I have always thought we might be able to find a used boat that would fit most of our needs...

I don't know long it has been for sale, but a friend emailed us link. It has a lot of unique things (manual windlass, Gardner 2cyl engine, controllable pitch prop)

But it is fitted very simply, how we would like most of the systems, except for no shower and no bow thruster.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=1646&url=

I just saw it tonight and have 1,000 questions for the broker, but it does look like it meets a lot of our wants

Conrad wrote:

A few comments have already been made on this forum!

http://www.trawlerforum.com/t46281842/cool-boat/

Whoops missed that... They already reduced the price $60k.

I find it odd that the boat looks pretty stout and they chose what appears to be lightweight doors. I can't tell the quality f the windows from the photos. Odd that they would build that way and no shower? 416 gallons of fuel is less than I expected as well. The Gardner engine and the controllable pitch prop are interesting choices as well for a boat built in the states.

I just thought it was ironic that you were interested in a boat that had just been discussed out of the blue. (I doubt that most folks read every thread here...although I may be commiting heresy by saying that.)

I saw the vessel last week in Alameda. I thought it was*interesting enough to take a picture of it and post it (COOL BOAT) just as a passing thought. I thought the high bow was impressive, it just shouts "offshore". It looked like a pretty sturdy boat.*** KJ

download.spark

Don't get me wrong. I am an absolute Gardner nut but I think that the 2LW is a bit on the wee side for this boat as it is no sailing boat just a sail assisted under powered motor cruiser.
Now a 4 LW might have been a different kettle of fish.
No shower for me that would be an absolute No No unless there is some place to fit it. We are cruising not "Camping Out"

I though the 2lw was a misprint at first..
The listing was missing a few details. I am not of fan of where then house batteries are (right next to the engine). The lack of a shower. 2 heads, no shower? No alloy listed, and the displacement seems light for a 46' trawler, even in aluminum.

Here in Alaska most all people looking to buy a boat would'nt even look at a boat that was'nt aluminum. I think most all of them look somewhere between uninspiring to awful and more are closer to awful. The one you're looking at is fairly bad looking and most any FG boat would be better looking. However the maintenance issue cannot be over looked and they are by far the most user friendly type of boat so if avoiding soft rotten decks, blisters and the other problems associated w FG boats is extremely important aluminum is where it's at. But definitely would'nt want to survey for myself. Despite all the above I lusted over an aluminum boat last winter.*

nomadwilly wrote:
However the maintenance issue cannot be over looked and they are by far the most user friendly type of boat so if avoiding soft rotten decks, blisters and the other problems associated w FG boats is extremely important aluminum is where it's at.
* My God! Again, I agree with Eric!

I think I have more miles in one of these than I do my own boat. I love them!

Attachments

• al 1.jpg
    al 1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 133
  • al 2.jpg
    al 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 135
Nice to be on the same page Walt but look how ugly they are. Those slab sided things should'nt be yachts. Even nice paint wo'nt hide the lines that look like they were created by a welder and not a marine architect. However I may build a new boat in the future and aluminum is on the table. The marine architect has already been chosen *...Atkin.

nomadwilly wrote:
*Those slab sided things should'nt be yachts. Even nice paint wo'nt hide the lines that look like they were created by a welder and not a marine architect.
Ah, but that look is popular among those who are looking for something a little different than the neighbors.

The German builder Lurssen provides some interesting designs.

M/Y Ronin, Skat and Rising Sun. And one by Derecktor, my first jetboat command, Silent Wings

Attachments

• ronin 281004 003.jpg
    ronin 281004 003.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 136
  • lurssen-skat.jpg
    lurssen-skat.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 138
  • rising-sun.jpg
    rising-sun.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 138
  • wings.jpg
    wings.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 110
one thing about aluminum...you better understand and be vigilant for stray current corrosion...can wreck an aluminum boat in days...

It's not pretty, but not butt ugly either, yet it has a certain agricultural purposeful look about it, as if saying, "No I'm not pretty but I'll do the job well". However, the motor does seem under-sized for what is not really a true motor-sailer, and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted. Also there is the issue of the slam bang at anchor, the galvanic corrosion issue and no shower. None of which are insurmountable, and maybe the current engine could be converted to a wing engine and its big brother installed as the main? Ballast is cheap, and everything else do-able. It looks nicely kitted out inside, tho you'd need to be pretty nimble going up and down that companionway, and I'd prefer an island bed, and for ocean traveling athwart ships is best in my view. However, the Dashews swear by alloy, and it does have a maintenance upside if you don't mind a rugged 'unpainted' look. Not being painted does lessen the hidden corrosion potential I believe.

Peter B wrote:and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted.
*Geez, if you guys can whip up an inclining experiment just by looking at a boat you have a solid future in naval architecture.

And why does everyone think that adding ballast makes a boat ride better? Just the opposite is commonly the case.

Quite true Rick ballast can be good or bad but I mostly agree w Peter but disagreeing w Peter I say it's looks pretty bad. AND I may be looking at a boat on TF that's actually underpowered. Shocked I am. But I'd sea trial it before writing it off. It's only 4000lbs more than my Willy and the hull may be more optimized for efficiency so it's possible the Gardner is sufficient power. A 40' Willard weighing much more and w a shorter WLL only requires about 25hp to make 7 knots. If I owned it I think I'd keep it away from the yacht club though. Of one thing I'm sure is that they will look a long time to find someone that thinks that's enough power. I'll predict the price will come way down before they do too.

It's all already down 60k... We would want a screaming deal to buy an unknown, "unique" boat. We would have convert the second head to a shower, add a bow thruster etc.

Charles,

The proportions are bad on the fwd ends of this boat. That could be a plus for the original owner as he probably sacrificed visual appeal for head room. And then there are marine architects that are good engineers and just do'nt have much visual arts knowledge. This boat however, looks very well made and I especially like the aft cockpit. But the lack of visual art skills of the "designer" will insure this boat will be hard to sell. And if it were mine I'd paint it but most all of my Alaskan friends would say that would ruin the boat because of the paint maintenance and some would even try and tell me the bare aluminum looks better. Nuts to me. Why are'nt Nordhavn's, Flemming's, DeFever's, Krogen's and Nordic Tug's made out of aluminum? Clearly a superior material. Probably because unless great amounts of money were spent on their construction they would look like aluminum boats.

Charles,*

I left my wallet at home today. Actually I do that most all the time here in Alaska. Sometimes I stop to get something and have to go home and get the wallet. Always leave the keys in the car in Thorne Bay though.*

Ease of maintenance is the key draw for us. The lack of amenities is too, more systems to keep up to date. We don't have a microwave at home...

In our "budget" is a custom steel boat by a local builder, 8 year old Krogem 42's and Nordic Tug 37's. Different boats for sure. The Krogen is the production FG,boat in our size budget as well. A really nice Krogen 39' would be great!

Charles - Not electrolysis or galvanic corrosion...stray current corrosion...my first experience with it was back in 83' when they totalled a week old million dollar sailboat from a loose 12 volt wire...trashed the hull in less than a week.

There are sensors for this...and I would own an aluminum boat in a second...as long as the alloy was right...it had proper care throughout it's life and had one of those current sensors on the hull.

-- Edited by psneeld on Sunday 27th of November 2011 05:48:25 PM

nomadwilly wrote:
Charles,*

I left my wallet at home today. Actually I do that most all the time here in Alaska. Sometimes I stop to get something and have to go home and get the wallet. Always leave the keys in the car in Thorne Bay though.*
*Then....sadly...one day you'll be walking home Eric.... why tempt fate, eh..?

RickB wrote:Peter B wrote:and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted.
*Geez, if you guys can whip up an inclining experiment just by looking at a boat you have a solid future in naval architecture.

And why does everyone think that adding ballast makes a boat ride better? Just the opposite is commonly the case.

*Ok fair comment I guess Rick, I'm no naval architect for sure, but just on the surface of it, don't you think a 46' boat, which weighs little more than my 34', with such high topsides windage, and rigged for sail might not be a bit tender..not to mention bouncy in a seaway...hypothetically at least..?

I was hoping that there was 20 gallons of diesel in the tanks and no water for its riding high stance. Add 2400lbs of diesel and maybe it sits lower?

Peter B wrote:RickB wrote:Peter B wrote:and it does ride rather high, so you wonder about being under ballasted.

*Ok fair comment I guess Rick, I'm no naval architect for sure, but just on the surface of it, don't you think a 46' boat, which weighs little more than my 34', with such high topsides windage, and rigged for sail might not be a bit tender..not to mention bouncy in a seaway...hypothetically at least..?

*Unless you know the center of gravity, metacentric height and center of buoyancy...it's only a wild guess...even just knowing where* the engine(s)* and*tankage are and the*beam vesus depth*would give a hint but only a hint of how she rides.

And tender...not necessarily bad..tender with a slow roll to a moderate number of degrees may be a more comfortable ride than a stiff snap roll.

As the owner of a 42' Single diesel aluminum trawler, I love them! We are in the process of complete refit, but I think the hull will outlast most of us. As mentioned earlier, no blisters, no rotten decks, no cracked gelcoat, etc. etc. Just keep up with the zincs and electrical and we are good to go. With the lighter hull a single 120 Perkins is more then enough power, and if we wan mods, just break out the welder! Definitely a good choice.*

Tim,

Is your boat a custom build? What kind of boat do you have? I see your bottom has some rocker aft *...I really like to see that. You're boat probably goes 10 knots like most trawlers go 8.

What would cause underwater aluminum hull to turn black? No electrolysis, has been tested for that. Brackish water.

Back
Top Bottom