Water pressure regulator not needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sdowney717

Guru
Vessel Name
Old Glory
Vessel Make
1970 Egg Harbor 37 extended salon model
Simply do not understand why such a thing is a necessary item.
At least in my boat, my plumbing is all copper, even if it was plastic, it would be rated to handle city water pressures.

I was thinking may even remove my regulator someday.
A check valve to prevent backflow I can understand is worthwhile.

And the marinas all have had standard water pressures and used plastic pipe to deliver the water pressure to the slips.

Back in the day long ago, did some marinas have pressures of 200 psi or something??

I measured the PSI at the slipsupply faucet and it is 45psi.

Last edited:
At a steady 45psi, there should be no need to regulate the pressure.

Our marina water pressure varies between 50 and 90 psi and our supply was equipped with a regulator which I removed. High pressure is great when you only use water for washing and tank filling.

Some marinas even recently have had water pressures spike above 100 as reported by customers who had hoses on the docks burst.

I have had hoses burst onboard when I had a mix of hose and copper, but not since switching to pex and hose with stainless covers.

In my marina water pressure can greatly vary. Pressure regulator is there as a security to be sure it does not exceed a limit for something onboard. When I got my boat the whole plumbing was made of potable water hoses, at 40psi using the freshwater pump, everything was fine, first time we were in my marina, the day after our arrival one fitting popped out because of the pressure and my pressure regulator was not working. Now I am all pex but still, I prefer to keep my regulator (I have two in fact, one that you can set max pressure on the hose and one on water inlet on the boat) as a security. Call it a useless peace of mind thing :)

L

Pex, copper pipe, pvc, all are rated to easily handle city water pressures including spikes to 100. Sure a garden quality supply hose may break, so maybe the regulator should be on the hose end attached to the dock and not built into the boat, whole thing is silly. If your water pipes can not handle normal pressures and spikes, then you have issues with things that should not have been installed that way.

Maybe some people shove rubber hoses onto bare pipes with clamps or use rubber heater hoses made for engines.

Lots of hose end regulators on Amazon, good quality and cheap.
https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressu...rd_wg=DIvb3&psc=1&refRID=9C278EV0NEB52K81K8DZ

I dont generally disagree, and I think that the few marinas that have high water pressure that could spike way higher than 100 are few and tank water could be used unless moving there.

And sure improper system materials are always a potential point of failure.

Like many of my out of the box decisions, if you feel you have thought it all though, go for it.

So far no problems with regulator, but it is old, from 1970, and who knows. I am more inclined towards putting it right on the inlet of the hose on the dock, if I had to replace it, to protect the water hose from so far non existent problems to the hose. If cities had major pressure spikes, think of all the affected utility customers, like split open garden hoses, and I just don't hear of it. If your hooking up to private well water, maybe their regulator on the well pump fails, much more likely than the city having such a failure. ASFAIK, city supply pumps may not even be involved, cities use water towers to pressurize the water supply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom