Mast shroud size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave_E

Vessel Name
Agnus Dei
Vessel Make
36' Shin Shing
Hi All,

My new mast and boom are nearing completion. I had the fabricators make me a mast and boom only, I'm doing the rigging. I'm no good at eyeballing wire rope from a distance. Should I go with 1/8 or 3/16" wire rope for my shrouds? This isn't a sailboat mast. Coated or bare?

Dave

Hi All,

My new mast and boom are nearing completion. I had the fabricators make me a mast and boom only, I'm doing the rigging. I'm no good at eyeballing wire rope from a distance. Should I go with 1/8 or 3/16" wire rope for my shrouds? This isn't a sailboat mast. Coated or bare?

Dave

3/16" will be easier to grip if need be, and the cost difference with 1/8", which would also work is minimal. I'd recommend Norseman fittings.

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately, no easy answer to your question. Simply not enough information. The choice of rigging is not just about wire size, or choice of coating on wire, but all about the geometry of the rig, the intended use, terminations, and the loads on the hull and deck imparted by the rig.

I strongly suggest you consult with Brian Toss in Port Townsend (Brion Toss Yacht Riggers – Blending the ageless wisdom of traditional rigging with modern applications and materials.), who can provide you all the services you might require, from simple consultation, through complete rigging services. Money well spent!

Although Brion's a sailboat guy, he's done some great work for us powerboaters as well, and can keep you from making a potentially fatal error on what may seem a simple issue, but isn't.

Regards,

Pete

Getting professional help is a good suggestion. I would avoid coated wire though as it can/will hide corrosion.

Might think dyneema rope or equivalent.....

A lot of sailors are thinking about it too for standing rigging and lifelines.

Might think dyneema rope or equivalent.....

A lot of sailors are thinking about it too for standing rigging and lifelines.
I was thinking the same thing. Lots are moving to it for lifelines. Not sure about standing rigging that is exposed to UV and generally forgotten about.

I still have mine from the wood mast I discarded due to rot. I think they're 1/4"(!!!), probably to look 'yachty'; the mast had no function originally save for anchor light, spreader lights and a flag halyard (a radar was added later).

My new mast is supported by a tabernacle/table and is w/o shrouds. I built it all betting upon the seat of my pants, and lots of years and experience making things.

If you're using the mast and boom for anything but lights and decoration, I concur with the others to have it calculated.

Our mast/boom on Hobo is held up with 316 SS, 1x19, 1/4" wire. We replaced ours about 5 years ago. Our mast and boom is rated for ~750 lbs lifting capacity. The turnbuckles, chain plates and fittings are expensive. If all you are doing is holding up the mast for your electronics and cosmetics, you may be able to find some second hand rigging that has the turnbuckles and swaged fittings already attached. Talk to some of your sailor friends. They maybe able to help.

Edit: I just looked at Defenders web site. $2.06/foot

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=108067

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom