diver dave
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Stolen C&P

Brass is susceptible to stress corrosion cracking,[26] especially from ammonia or substances containing or releasing ammonia. The problem is sometimes known as season cracking after it was first discovered in brass cartridges used for rifle
Stolen C&P

ammunition during the 1920s in the British Indian Army. The problem was caused by high residual stresses from cold forming of the cases during manufacture, together with chemical attack from traces of ammonia in the atmosphere. The cartridges were stored in stables and the ammonia concentration rose during the hot summer months, thus initiating brittle cracks. The problem was resolved by annealing the cases, and storing the cartridges elsewhere.
My dad did a lot of handloading. He would anneal the used brass by putting them in an oven on a cookie sheet vertically and at some point in time tipping them over into an oil ( I think). But yes, clearly cartridge brass will cold work harden, become "brittle", and crack when restressed.
I don't know if I would take this directly into a "don't reuse flare fittings", due to a likely much lower stress. dunno for sure.
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote