View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 05:25 PM   #8
Peter B
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
RE: Where's Carey?

Great pic Marin. Actually, talking davits...I used to have two nice alloy davits quite like Carey's, and carried my ducky there, but it did bug me how it trapped water from rain and also swung about quite a bit on the move in spite of tethering it as firmly as I could. Anyway, one day while away on holiday I was contacted and advised my dinghy had had to be retrieved as a davit had broken, (mysteriously), and the thing was dangling. I decided to go Weaver Snap davits after that, and carry her on the transom on the duckboard, and never regretted that move, but often wondered how that breakage had come about. No-one owned up. Then about a year later I found out how... A rather tragic old geezer several berths along, who seldom went out, but often came down alone and just stayed on board a night ot two, had to go out - the boat had to be antifouled. He had a son and two grandsons with him, but they were not much help either, and I stood open-mouthed as I witness his way of getting out of the berth. I kid you not, his method was to charge back and forth in the fairway between the marina arms, reversing or charging forward again only when he hit a boat one side or the other, and could go no futher. All this time the son and his kids were screaming at him to slow down, and he was working the levers and wheel on the flybridhge in a frenzy. I couldn't help him either, but did feel sorry for him in a way...but I also wished I'd had my video camera on hand, it would have been a blast on U-tube..! He was banned from the marina after that. All a bit sad really, but I then knew what had happened to that very stout davit, and was just glad that is all the damage he did on that occasion. Does sort of underline recent comments on the manoeuvring issue recently, about going just fast enough to have steerage, but slow enough to avoid damage in a misadventure...?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote