looking for a trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulga

Guru
Vessel Name
DD
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Sundeck 40'
I saw some 1980s trawlers have good price, e.g. this one:
1985 - Rosborough-RF-35-Atlantic-Trawler

1988 Marine Trader sundeck

1981 Alvin and 1980 Alvin 36 DC

and the more expensive Grand banks

these poped up from my search page

I'm looking for a trawler under 36' for occasional cruise and live aboard during the sailing season.
the reason is for its fuel economy and 7 knots is fast enough in my need.
budget wise, lower is better. I want to know whether I should want a Grand bank or a Marine Trader for only half the money (if it fulfills my need and is not a bad name), or an Alvin that's priced in the middle?

there is R-27 Ranger Tugs 2017, it's cute but too expensive. which boat would pop into your eyes from the above search page?

Only you can decide if you need/want a Grand Banks quality boat versus a more economical one similar to a Marine Trader or Albin. Nothing wrong with a more economical boat. That is why they make Mercedes and also Fords. First thing I would do is establish your budget and then look within it. Keep in mind that if you have $80K to spend don’t spend all of it on buying the boat. I would keep 20 to 30% in reserve for fixing up the boat and adding equipment that you must have. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for reply.
I currently rent and have some savings. I debate on if I should use the savings as downpay for a home or buy a boat first .

I want to take a boat loan if the interest payment are tax deductible. if so and I later purchase a home, are the interest payments to the mortgage still tax deductible?

many boat loans restrict the boat year be 1989 or newer. does that mean I need to pay in cash for a boat older than 1989?

A lot depends on your financial situation. I would call a marine finance company. I like Cindy at Sterling. You can google them.

is this 1980 Manship 34' trawler worth a look? The 1980 Perkins engine has only 1375 hours over almost 40 years, or 34 hours usage per year, is it a bit low.

this 1988 Marine Trader sundeck has a Ford Lehman 2715E and 3000 hours or 100 hrs per year, more reasonable.

I heard engine rebuilt is costly (40k-50k). I would want an economical and reliable built boat, and low maintenance cost in the future.

The MT will have a lot more room in it. The MT has a bit oversize genset IMO. The Mainship looks nice but I have a real issue of using a gas generator on a diesel boat and a portable genset at that. Real danger of carbon monoxide poisoning with a non marine generator. If I were in the market, I would look hard at the MT. You might PM Donna, I believe she has that model of MT and ask her about it.

Greetings,
Mr. Paul. Welcome aboard. Mr. C's advice is sound (post#4). Get ALL your financial "ducks in a row" before you make a decision to buy a toy. You seem to hail from NYC which means not only slip rental in the summer but winterization and storage charges in the off season. Only you can decide what you want to do with your $$ but do you really want to put $$ into something you will only use a part of the year?

IF you decide to go ahead and buy a boat, research, research, research. Walk the docks, go to boat shows, perhaps rent for a week or two. Eventually YOU will decide what boat to get (or rather, the boat will pick you). Nigh on impossible to advise on the "best" boat over the pseudo anonymous internet...

Also read this thread all the way through...

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/boat-search-101-a-14905.html

I'm not aware there are any boat shows nearby. i've been to several marinas but didn't see lots of ppl. mostly I explored boats online.

winter storage seems to be cheaper than seasonal rates. in a year the slip cost would be over 6,000. these plus utility, insurance (loan or dockage likely requires it), maintenance, etc. would be a hefty add-on amount to my apartment rent. if possible I would give up the apartment to live aboard full time (of course this would be difficult due to the space issue on the boat).

I saw some 1980s trawlers have good price, e.g. this one:
1985 - Rosborough-RF-35-Atlantic-Trawler

1988 Marine Trader sundeck

1981 Alvin and 1980 Alvin 36 DC

and the more expensive Grand banks

these poped up from my search page

I'm looking for a trawler under 36' for occasional cruise and live aboard during the sailing season.
the reason is for its fuel economy and 7 knots is fast enough in my need.
budget wise, lower is better. I want to know whether I should want a Grand bank or a Marine Trader for only half the money (if it fulfills my need and is not a bad name), or an Alvin that's priced in the middle?

there is R-27 Ranger Tugs 2017, it's cute but too expensive. which boat would pop into your eyes from the above search page?

WOW! Lots a' nice boats on that page.

If you see a Tollycraft... take a look.

Welcome aboard TF! :thumb: -Art

is this 1980 Manship 34' trawler worth a look? The 1980 Perkins engine has only 1375 hours over almost 40 years, or 34 hours usage per year, is it a bit low.

this 1988 Marine Trader sundeck has a Ford Lehman 2715E and 3000 hours or 100 hrs per year, more reasonable.

I heard engine rebuilt is costly (40k-50k). I would want an economical and reliable built boat, and low maintenance cost in the future.
I think the Marine trader sundeck is a great deal at asking 40K try lower and see what happens- 3000 hours is nothing for these engines-- plus it has a bow thruster!

On any 36 ft boat 6K will be a far less expensive cruise speed than 7K.

Welcome some good boats to look at we have a couple in the forum with the MT and it seems very well priced

I called the broker, but actually the 1988 MT sundeck was already sold months ago..
the other options are 1978 Albin Trawler and 1988 Nova Heritage East 36

1988 is ten-year newer, the inside layout is also decent. but I don't like its twin diesel, thinking that would double the maintenance cost. I noticed Grand banks trawlers all have twin diesels. is Nova also a high brand as Grand banks?

1978 Albin is very old but the advantage is it received lots of upgrades. I just don't know if I could get a loan and insurance for a 1978 boat (40 years old). and if the marina dockage is going to accept it or not.

Last edited:
"and if the marina dockage is going to accept it or not."

In some locations slip space for a wooden vessel is harder to come by .

Many boat yards will require a deposit before hauling a wooden boat , some will not haul a woodie.

A '78 Albin should have a fiberglass hull, usually no problems to dock or have hauled.

is Nova also a high brand as Grand banks?

Not really but it is a decent Taiwanese Tub. Grand Banks are kind of a cult boat and they have reputation for good quality. Doesn't mean the Nova isn't as good, specially, if well maintained. You might want to read an old Passmaker article titled Taiwan's Venerable Trawlers. http://onboardislandtime.com/venerable_taiwanese_trawlers.pdf

With all the 30-40 year old Taiwanese boats, you need to be leery of rusted fuel tanks, soft decks, leaky windows, and antiquated electrical wiring.

I'm not aware there are any boat shows nearby. i've been to several marinas but didn't see lots of ppl. mostly I explored boats online.

winter storage seems to be cheaper than seasonal rates. in a year the slip cost would be over 6,000. these plus utility, insurance (loan or dockage likely requires it), maintenance, etc. would be a hefty add-on amount to my apartment rent. if possible I would give up the apartment to live aboard full time (of course this would be difficult due to the space issue on the boat).

I do not know exactly where you are but we live in NY as well, a few thoughts.
- many (most) marinas do not allow livaboards here
- winter living aboard in this area is very challenging even for larger boats
- some marinas do not have split summer winter contracts/fees but most do
- prices vary wildly from mid Hudson river to NYC and out the LI sound
- winter dockage fees are about 1/3rd summer dockage fees, I am not sure how you would avoid either

- most area marinas forbid or greatly restrict owner maintenance, best to budget that as well

live aboards are allowed in 79th boat basin and some marinas that I confirmed. otherwise it's on a case by case basis.

Trawler Choice

For a liveaboard, a sundeck model will give you the most room for its size.
I have a PT35 Sundeck located in Easthampton, Long Island, New York
which I use mostly to liveaboard during the summers. She has a single 225HP diesel which allows speeds higher then normal trawlers but is still extremly
economical to use. With air conditioning, heat, full size fridge, two heads, two staterooms, generator, gas stove etc. she makes a great liveaboard or cruiser.
Contact me if you are interested in coming aboard. As I now live in Florida,
she may become available for sale.

private message sent to paulga

For a liveaboard, a sundeck model will give you the most room for its size.
I have a PT35 Sundeck located in Easthampton, Long Island, New York
which I use mostly to liveaboard during the summers. She has a single 225HP diesel which allows speeds higher then normal trawlers but is still extremly
economical to use. With air conditioning, heat, full size fridge, two heads, two staterooms, generator, gas stove etc. she makes a great liveaboard or cruiser.
Contact me if you are interested in coming aboard. As I now live in Florida,
she may become available for sale.

I surely do agree with Ben...

Regarding: Sun deck is a greatly roomy and relaxing out door fun place to enjoy days/evenings at anchor. Nice during slow cruises in calm waters too.

Must say that I also much prefer a flying bridge for even more room aboard and for most of the time piloting too. Good sized swim platform off the transom is also high up on my list. Wife likes galley in the salon and we both love large salon windows. Those items as well as other "things" make boating a real pleasure. Thus the name age old colloquial-marine term "Pleasure Boating".

Item I'd also like to mention: Twin engines are very nice to have for many reasons. For pleasure boating I believe in planing hulls; semi planing is fine too. I don't particularly like displacement hulls for several reasons regarding general "Pleasure Boating". Displacement hull design is very good for very long range at slow speed with active stabilizers whenever sizable seas come into play. Planing hull with hard chines and enough engine HP to enable available speed capabilities can make a boat work well in many sea conditions. In other words: For long range cruising get a displacement hull boat. For general, relaxing pleasure boating get a planing hull boat.

Now back to the item about single or twins. Each to their own on this. Seeing as planing hull is my preferred choice for a pleasure boat the engine or engines need to have considerable HP capabilities to reach speeds whenever I desire or require.

Here are reasons I "really" like twins:
1. Maneuverability at slow speeds in forward or reverse
2. Capability to walk the boat sideways via correct rudder-angles / throttle placement sand opposing transmission directions
3. Extra reliability - I like redundancy on boats - twin screws / pilot stations / heads / sleeping quarters / props / rudders / compasses... etc
4. Capability to shut one engine down and cruise slowly on the other with minimal fuel usage.
5. Last but not least; for when desired: Sheer power to have the "Pleasure Boat" plane over/through the water at a fast enough clip so that destinations can be reached without taking too much time.

Here's the one thing that [in my opinion] twins do have against them - an increase [basically a doubling] of general maintenance costs and efforts... which for me is surely OK when taking into account the five reasons mentioned above as to why I "really" like twins!

Happy Boat-Choice Daze! - Art :speed boat:
PS: The "[basically a doubling] of general maintenance costs and efforts" [for twins compared to a single engine] is meaning the actual parts/product used on the engines. Time and effort for getting tools ready and then putting them away is the same for twins as for singles. Toting new parts aboard and used parts/oils off is double effort for twins.

Last edited:
most of the trawlers that come out of search are displacement hull, limited to slower speed.
It's nice to to imagine moving the boat sideways. is it impossible with a single engine?

not all twins will move sideways without just the right conditions, hull shape, location and size of rudders/props, etc...

a single pretty much needs thrusters unless it has a modified rudder (shape or max swing) and a dang competent skipoer.

after almost 15,000 miles of ACIW in a single and probably another 40,000 in twins......

if I had to do it over again, I might go twins as they might offer the flexibility to where I spend getting the boat fixed. Especially if it might be weeks or more.....this is because I am a liveaboard and would need to stay onboard or nearby to do most of the work.

most of the trawlers that come out of search are displacement hull, limited to slower speed.
It's nice to to imagine moving the boat sideways. is it impossible with a single engine?

Paul - Please understand...

The recreational-boating/style-of-boat moniker "Trawler" a few decades ago originated as a promotional enhancement - - > for another way to make it sound sexy while selling more boats!

There seems to be no firm definition as to what a "Trawler" actually is. That fact has been well hashed over on several TF threads. I don't use that term for my current nor any other of my or my family's previous boats.

The term "Trawler" seems to extend as a usable moniker to nearly any boat whose owner likes the word Trawler...

:dance:

I was referring to the boat type used in my search
tumblr_p9q3a1TagX1wdluzmo1_1280.png

I was referring to the boat type used in my search

I understand. Please don't take offence.

Didn't particularly mean to pinpoint that post only at you, even though I used your name. Just explaining what I know so all could think on reasoning that propels the model-name "Trawler". :thumb:

Last edited:
to say offense, it's not even in the least
as a beginner, I have a lot more to know

to say offense, it's not even in the least
as a beginner, I have a lot more to know

Got cha! :thumb:

Lots will come forward for you from TF members!! :D

Back
Top Bottom