Boat Documentation Process?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottH

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Airagone Strider
Vessel Make
Cal 39
Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of buying a Jefferson 42. It's a private sale and no broker is involved. ( Hopefully it'll pass the survey on Tuesday!). It's currently registered in Massachusetts. We want to get it documented with the Coast Guard.

Can anyone give me a phone number or a web address to get that done without going through one of those private documentation services? Seems like they are all more expensive than they ought to be.

Any tips on going through the process?

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks

I have done it by myself before and also have used a doc service on several boats. You will need accurate measurements of the boat. Go to the NVDS web site and download the forms. Try to make sure you get it right the first time as it will probably take forever to get it processed and returned to you. If there is a lein involved the bank will probably make you use a doc service.

Hi Everyone,

We are in the process of buying a Jefferson 42. It's a private sale and no broker is involved. ( Hopefully it'll pass the survey on Tuesday!). It's currently registered in Massachusetts. We want to get it documented with the Coast Guard.

Can anyone give me a phone number or a web address to get that done without going through one of those private documentation services? Seems like they are all more expensive than they ought to be.

Any tips on going through the process?

I'll appreciate your help.

Thanks

Hey Scott
Hope everything goes well on the Jeff. We like ours.
While it is easy to doc a boat with CG make sure without a broker or closing agent to make sure the boat has a clean BOS or title so no issues down the road as of Liens etc etc. But I am sure you are on top of things
Keep us posted and send pics asap. Always love to look at other Jeffersons

Welcome

You’ll probably still want to state register the boat. You’ll have to anyway if you keep in MA or FL and it will allow you to use the boat immediately. The wait time for the USCG vessel doc from what others have posted on the forum can take a few months.

I can recommend Peggy Vann at Vann Maritime, she handled our documentation change of ownership, Florida registration, tender title transfer and other matters recently. While I know for certain that I could have done all of this myself, she made it fast and easy with no errors or corrections needed and all with me being out of state and with ownership of an LLC changing hands as well. Her fee was entirely reasonable, not only for the work she did for us, but for the peace of mind knowing that nothing was overlooked.

Congratulations. We love our Jefferson. Send pictures.

And doing the documentation yourself is relatively easy.

You’ll probably still want to state register the boat. You’ll have to anyway if you keep in MA or FL and it will allow you to use the boat immediately. The wait time for the USCG vessel doc from what others have posted on the forum can take a few months.

You don’t need to “register” the boat if it is being documented. You will probably have to do the state paperwork and pay the sales tax, if any is applicable. In Michigan the process is very similat to registering, but you do not display the registration numbers. When documenting the boat, if you do it yourself, make sure you make copies of the doc paperwork and carry it on board. When we used a doc service, they provided paperwork showing the boat was in the process of being documented. It took about 4 months, 2.5 years ago, for our documentation to come through. Don’t know what the turnaround time is now.

Most states do require documented boats to be registered. The process is the same, you just don't put numbers on the bow. State registration sticker, yes, numbers, no.
I'm in VA where registration is optional. I've never registered my documented boat.

You don’t need to “register” the boat if it is being documented. You will probably have to do the state paperwork and pay the sales tax, if any is applicable. In Michigan the process is very similat to registering, but you do not display the registration numbers.

Just a matter of semantics and differences in state laws. Almost every state requires that you register it in some way. Primarily that is to ensure the state can collect their taxes. In WA, you don't have to put registration numbers on your boat, but you do have to display a current registration sticker.

Just a matter of semantics and differences in state laws. Almost every state requires that you register it in some way. Primarily that is to ensure the state can collect their taxes. In WA, you don't have to put registration numbers on your boat, but you do have to display a current registration sticker.

Not just WA, you cannot put any state numbers on a documented boat in any state per Coast Guard regulations.

Not just WA, you cannot put any state numbers on a documented boat in any state per Coast Guard regulations.

But you will need to display the boat's name and "home port" on the exterior and permanently install documentation number in the interior per USCG requirements/specifications.

Easy to document a boat in your name if it was previously documented.
If it was not, then you need the builder’s certificate. In my case it was not longer available. Boat was built in 2001 and the factory out of business. Searched the State archives, nothing, previous owner looked all over, nothing.
There was a way doing something and paying $500 to get it done without the builder’s certificate, but only for private use. (I was planing to run charters)
Found some kind of a loop hole about doing a simplified measurement of the boat and if it came to less than 5 tons net using the USCG online calculator, I could still run charters without documenting the boat..It worked.

If the boat was previously documented, do it yourself and down load the paperwork needed from the USCG website.
Did it last year on a previous boat and paid about $124 total.

I can recommend Peggy Vann at Vann Maritime, she handled our documentation change of ownership, Florida registration, tender title transfer and other matters recently. While I know for certain that I could have done all of this myself, she made it fast and easy with no errors or corrections needed and all with me being out of state and with ownership of an LLC changing hands as well. Her fee was entirely reasonable, not only for the work she did for us, but for the peace of mind knowing that nothing was overlooked.

Another vote for Peggy. She handled our paperwork a couple of years ago and it was seamless.

Scott: There is a reason why the private documentation companies upcharge so much. It's because they know that most customers don't want to deal with the hassle of doing it themselves.

If you decide to go the private route in Mass: Then call Maria at Vessel Documentation Service at 508.746.5905. She was great and very knowledgeable.

136 Jordan Road
Plymouth, Ma

WEBSITE

I bought my boat in late July and I got my temp USCG documentation reg in about 2 weeks or so after we had a signed/accepted offer (so essentially at the closing of the sale the boat was documented). The temp. reg. is valid proof of documentation and will need to be on the boat until you receive your permanent docs. I got my official docs about 4 or 5 months later.

ANOTHER THING: In Mass. a USCG documented vessel does not need to be registered with the state. Period. End of discussion. I can't and won't speak about other states. Are you gonna be in FL or Mass?

Good luck Scott. And I hope you put that $125 or so that save by not using a vessel doc service towards something good! But remember that we will all inevitably have to B.O.A T at some point!

Last edited:
Renewing USCG documentation directly is as easy as paying a bill online or sending a check, and certainly no more difficult than arranging for a third party to do the task.

Renewing USCG documentation directly is as easy as paying a bill online or sending a check, and certainly no more difficult than arranging for a third party to do the task.

BUT......he's not renewing. He transferring, which is totally different. Lol

BUT......he's not renewing. He transferring, which is totally different. Lol

Yes, and next year he will need to renew.

PS: I did the initial documentation myself for my boat Filling the application form was easy once the boat's critical data was obtained. (Got it from the builder.) I wouldn't expect a documentation service company to have that data.

Last edited:
Yes, and next year he will need to renew.

PS: I did the initial documentation myself for my boat Filling the application form was easy once the boat's critical data was obtained. (Got it from the builder.) I wouldn't expect a documentation service company to have that data.

But the good ones know what they need and how to get it. You keep offering all these scenarios and saying he doesn't need a documentation service company when none of the scenarios you've outlined are like his. Complicated is when a boat changes hands. Most complicated is when one changes hands and has never been documented. That's when one may well need assistance.

Now, of course, the OP made it clear he considers them more expensive than they should be although he has no idea what they do, but has said he doesn't want to use one. That leaves him most likely to go to the website, to submit it, to get it back, to try again and to go back and forth for a long time.

If it falls through PM me. I know of a very well maintained 42 right here in JAX that is not on the market right now but the owner is leaning towards selling it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom