View Single Post
Old 05-31-2018, 11:06 AM   #15
TomandJeri

City: Lake Ontario
Vessel Model: Trawler Shopping 35-40'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Actually 4 wire 240 vac circuits are preferred now.
4-wire feeder to a 120/240V subpanel, yes. And a boat's electrical distribution panel is essentially a subpanel, as the neutral and equipment ground is connected at the source, not in the boat, assuming no isolation transformer. But only 3 conductors are required for a 240V only branch circuit and load, two of which are current-carrying, like a typical domestic tank water heater or air conditioning condenser (outdoor) unit, plus an equipment ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
If you look at the electrical connection photo the OP posted you can see it is a 4 wire setup. I suspect the former owner replaced the compressor and took the 120 off one of the hot legs plus the neutral.
That's what I was going off of, but I don't see a neutral connection, only L1, L2, and G for both mains power and the pump. You certainly could take the 120V that way, though the current would double for the same size compressor, and power relays would have to be checked for rating. If I missed it, then I stand corrected, and ignore everything I said before.
TomandJeri is offline   Reply With Quote