Aft cabin Door Re-build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aft Deck Capt

Vessel Name
Long Shot
Vessel Make
1978 Californian 42' LRC
Well....here goes another project. I hope to have this back on the boat by the time the weather breaks for other dockside work.
I can't leave well enough alone and have decided to fab a sealed port light for the top door panel. Recently I came across round aluminum castings that can be machined into an exterior bezel and round, tempered, prismatic glass. I'm going to re-purpose some of the original teak fb rail for the interior bezel.
Here is the starting point. I'll post progress pics.
Q: Any other LRC owners in the same boat so to speak? I'll have a good shop drawing when done.

Attachments

• Aft Cabin Door.jpg
    Aft Cabin Door.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 113
Port Light Bezels

Here are the inner and outer bezels.

The aluminum frames that I found all had one hole drilled larger than the others for some reason. All that was needed was to chamfer the edges and sand to a matte finish. I'll either shoot it with some automotive urethane clear or send it out to be powder coated.

The joints in the teak are epoxied with jatoba splines for some contrast. It turns a rich burgundy color when exposed to the sun.

Now all I need is a new door to install these on!

Attachments

• Bezel-1.jpg
    Bezel-1.jpg
    181 KB · Views: 92
  • Bezel-2.jpg
    Bezel-2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Bezel-3.jpg
    Bezel-3.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 93
That is spectacular! I would like to do exactly this for a fixed light I'd like to place in my aft cabin bulkhead. Surplus portlights are so damned expensive...you've inspired me!

Thanks Anson. I receive a lot of inspiration from this forum as well.
The chamfering was done on a router table. Are you a wood worker also? I have $0 into the aluminum frames (8.25" OD) and tempered, prismatic glass and have several "extras". PM me if you're interested in fabricating your own and I'll send you a frame and lens n/c.

Greetings,
Mr. ADC. VERY nice work! For several years now, I've wanted to install a fixed port light (I've also heard them referred to as a DEADLIGHT) in our ER door. It would allow a quick look-see before entering underway in the event of an ER emergency. You've inspired ME as well. Thank you (sorta...Yet another item on the "to do" list).

200w.gif

Well done! (Shouldn't you have used an odd number of segments so as to cause eye-rolling and wonderment in those who can count and divide the number into 360?)

Why bother with the aluminum? Just do the Teak again and it'll look lovely on the Teak door panel.

Just for fun, here are pics of companionway slides that I made for our last sailboat. Teak exterior 5/16" thick veneer, louvers and breadboarding, Makore interior 5/16" thick veneer, bronze screen. And a core laminate of 1/8" epoxy-glass for stability. (The original slides were Teak plywood with Makore veneer inside; one was missing and the other had the veneer sanded through.)

Attachments

• IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 78
Thanks Anson. I receive a lot of inspiration from this forum as well.
The chamfering was done on a router table. Are you a wood worker also? I have $0 into the aluminum frames (8.25" OD) and tempered, prismatic glass and have several "extras". PM me if you're interested in fabricating your own and I'll send you a frame and lens n/c.

Man, I'd take you up on that in a heartbeat, but the proper proportion on this one will require a 10-12 inch diameter. It will be in the starboard cabin side in a big, flat, empty space between the pilothouse window and the aft cabin window. It looks very unbalanced and naked now, whereas the port side has the window to the head there and looks properly proportioned.

I think I'll still use your idea for the interior wood bezel, though. It's really beautiful. It's going to look fantastic in that door.

Very nice work Capt

Thanks for the encouragement all!

RT, a window in the ER door is a fine idea. Great! Now I have another item on the to do list!

DH, what a beautiful set of doors! You really set the bar high! I opted for the aluminum on the outside because of it's lower profile.

Anson, the offer is good as long as I have the parts. Surely you could find an interior door/panel to put one in!:)

Marty, I've always admired those round windows on your helm doors, love that look.

Between work and a top to bottom bathroom remodel, time to work on the boat has been hampered. It'll be a couple of weeks before any progress is made on the new door - stay tuned.

Complete!

Finally finished the door and got it re-mounted!

The frame is Afromosia with BS1088 marine plywood panels. Like the cabin doors the panels were stained then sealed with 2 coats of laminating epoxy. The corner joints and panels to frame grooves are joined/sealed with structural epoxy.... Water, you shall not pass!

The cope & stick corner joints are beefed up with some loose tenons and more epoxy.

The exterior side of the frame received 2 coats of laminating epoxy prior to 6 sprayed coats of Pettit Captains gloss varnish. The interior has 6 sprayed coats of McCloskey's satin varnish.

We really like the additional light that comes into the aft cabin.

Attachments

• ACD EXT.jpg
    ACD EXT.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 65
  • ACD INT.jpg
    ACD INT.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 66
  • ACD Tennon.jpg
    ACD Tennon.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 78
It looks great Eric

Very nice work . Those loose tenons are a nice touch, gives the cope and stick joint the extra strength it needs .

You make me feel inadequate. Looks too good.

Eric,

I don't know how I missed this thread, but I'm glad I found it. The door is absolutely gorgeous and I am sooooo jealous of your woodworking ability.

I'll be watching for you on the docks so I can get a tour of your boat.

Well done!

Last edited by a moderator:
I appreciate the complements guys. This was definitely one of those "Dang! I hope I don't have to do that again anytime soon" projects.
It's good to have it done, but now thanks to RT, the ER door beckons for it's own fixed lite!

Mike, it's so good to finally get under cover. LS is a far cry from Beachcomber but I look forward to giving you the tour. Safe travels back home.

Very nice work! I'm building a new aft cabin door for my 38' Californian.
Questions:
- Did you reuse the original Door Latch set?
- If you installed a new one, what make/model did you use?

Thanks...

Really, truly gorgeous. Very well done, sir!

Very nice work! I'm building a new aft cabin door for my 38' Californian.
Questions:
- Did you reuse the original Door Latch set?
- If you installed a new one, what make/model did you use?

Thanks...

Thank you. Yes, I reused the original latch set. I took it all apart, polished/cleaned with Flitz and lightly greased the contact parts. I'm thinking of swapping the knob with the one on the aft head door. It's seldom visible as the door is typically latched opened it's chrome is in much better shape.

Good luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom