View Single Post
Old 05-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #1
wkearney99
Guru

City: Bethesda, MD
Vessel Name: Solstice
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 47 Eastbay FB
Aft sliding door track parts?

My Eastbay 47FB has a sliding door at the aft end of the cabin. There's what looks like a plastic U-shaped track at the bottom of it. It's pretty beat up, with pieces missing along the upright sides. I'm looking for the correct part information to replace it.

That and I'm going to replace the top rollers as they also seem a little lumpy. 12 years of use would likely cause that. A bit of cleaning and some fresh parts and I should be back in business.

The door is a beast to remove. Remove the two guide plates at the bottom left & right (those ride in the plastic track mentioned above). Then remove the 3 screws on the inside holding the door to the track trolleys. The door will then be able to be pulled outward at the bottom and then out from under the top guide valance.

My complaint leading to this effort is the latch isn't catching well enough to the striker plate in the jamb. The mortise lock has a hook shape to the end of it that catches on that plate. I'm guessing from time & wear the connection isn't as good as it used to be.

One problem was the door could be lifted off the latch such that, even when locked, it could be opened. The rollers at the top are worn, possibly enough to allow more vertical motion than originally designed. One work-around for this was to drive a screw into the top channel such that the track trolley is prevented from rising when the door is fully closed. The head of the screw is just tall enough to block the trolley from rising without impeding it's normal opening/closing motion.

I've attached a picture of the threshold track (it's about 12mm wide), the lock hook and Grand Bank's PDF on adjusting the door.

My question here is who's the supplier of the plastic track in the threshold?
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 47FB-02 AFT SALOON SLIDING DOOR.PDF (298.2 KB, 31 views)