Grass up our @$$.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Deano

Vessel Name
Becca
Vessel Make
Gulfstar 44
IMG_3984.jpg

Any suggestions how to keep our strainers from clogging while we’re away. Every SE wind which is common here does this. We work out of town a lot and hate coming home to a moldy mess. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Hmmm, a 120 vt dehumidifier with a hose into the bilge?
The bilge pump should take care of liquid humidity?

I do that. It takes care of the master but not much else. I was hoping for an answer at the scupper end.

I would turn off the A/Cs and go to a dehumidifier with the drain directed to a sink that drains overboard. I never liked running the A/C when the boat is unattended.

I do that. It takes care of the master but not much else. I was hoping for an answer at the scupper end.

Guess you need another?
You are leaving all the doors open?

Maybe add some fans to move the air or add some solar powered vents.

Thinking outside the box here: that looks like it's floating so what about some tubing/pipe to pick up water from well below the grass?

Or a garbage disposal on the intake!!

I also use a dehumidifier. It sets on the galley counter and drains into the sink. Went for a larger model with the old style compressor and a humidistat. The unit runs till it reaches my selected humidity level (50%), and then shuts off including the fan. Every 15 minutes the fan cycles to check humidity and run as necessary. This unit is capable of sucking 20 pints per day out of the air. Much more impressed with this unit than the membrane style. Keeps the whole boat nice and dry.

Ted

I use the wedge shaped external strainers to keep weeds out. If you get the extra large ones it should provide enough openings to keep water circulating in the A/C.

We have used sections of 6 inch PVC pipe to keep weeds off of boat ramps and out of slips. You fill them about 1/4 of the way with water and cap them off. Place several sections in the water around the slip. From the picture it looks like these weeds are floating so it should work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom