Early 38' Californian LRC Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Edelweiss

Guru
Vessel Make
1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
This is a 1976 38' foot Californian trawler.*

Pic 1: Note the teak trim on the corners where the horizontal cabin top and vertical sides join.* That trim isn't just for looks, it actually covers a seam.* This was the last year I believe for this type of construction.* The next year 38' LRC's, like the other model Californians, sported a one piece cabin without the seams and trim.
Pic 2: Also missing are the interior mahogany covered bulk heads and cabinet doors that are standard on later models.
*Pic 3: *For me this is the big shocker; What a surprise, this is a single engine boat -6.354T Perkins diesel. *Contrary to what I was lead to believe, apparently not all Californian LRC's had twin engines.

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 09:54:23 PM

Attachments

• 1976_38_lrc_3.jpg
    1976_38_lrc_3.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 272
  • 1976_38_lrc_7.jpg
    1976_38_lrc_7.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 249
  • 1976_38_lrc_5.jpg
    1976_38_lrc_5.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 311
How does the first two pics compare to your 1976 37 LRC?

I've never seen a single Californian LRC either. Where did you find this? It would sure be interesting to see the hull, keel and shaft on this boat.

FlyWright wrote:
How does the first two pics compare to your 1976 37 LRC?

I've never seen a single Californian LRC either. Where did you find this? It would sure be interesting to see the hull, keel and shaft on this boat.
Hey Al

I'm still out of town and don't have access to my boat pic's, but the two pics below are of a 1978 38' Cali which is identical to mine except I have carpet instead of wood floors and my skiff isn't on top of the stern cabin. *In the lower left side of the aft pic you can just make out one edge of the deck hatch they added to the 38's. *That is the only outward difference between the 37' and the 38'.*

I found the single screw 38' 1976 Cali online for sale and they didn't have a picture of the bottom listed. *I was mostly interested in the teak covered seams and didn't even notice it was a single. *I was showing the pic's to someone else at work when I saw the single controls and gauges at the helm. *Boy was I surprised!!

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Tuesday 13th of September 2011 11:49:46 PM

Attachments

• 78_38_lrc11.jpg
    78_38_lrc11.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 490
  • 78_38_lrc5.jpg
    78_38_lrc5.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 841
I'm assuming you are talking about the first post in this thread.* Yes, it is a single engine '76* 38' Californian tri-cabin.* The first one I have ever seen with a single Perkins Diesel. (Not to say that there may not be more out there.)

Larry B*

anyone have info on what it's like to do the decks on a cal 38? Cabin framework has rot too. Big job I'm curious what the top $$ would REASONABLY be to do this. I've got friends who are boatwrights. I'm inexpensive labour. Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!

I assume you are talking about repainting the decks? It's an on going challenge if you use paint. Every 5 or 6 years you get to redo them. I'm looking at some of the new deck coating products that are similar to the liners they are using in the beds of pickup trucks. The down side is all the paint has to come off before you can coat them.

The cabin rot is usually limited to around the wood frame windows which tend to leak. Removing the old wood from behind the fiberglass is messy but not rocket science. Just a lot of peeling and scraping. The most difficult is finding the correct mahogany faced plywood to replace it. It was a challenge 25 years ago to find, when I ordered a sheet and I haven't seen any since then. Plan on replacing the leaky windows with aluminum frame windows. I did both of my 9 foot aft cabin windows for less than $1000

You've love the boat though

Larry B

No we were needing to re- lay the decks as there was rot. i walked off that deal as the seller was a bit of a bug about the deal. I looked at an excellent monk platform for finishing yesterday. needed the flying bridge rebuilt but other than that it was small stuff. Any way thanks for your input everyone and keep it coming!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom