Music favs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And, this one from a man that played a large part in the Rock and Roll revolution.

I think we've had this one before in some iteration. Nonetheless, here is my favorite number from ZZ Top.

I don't think we've had one from the WHO. Good band.

Dudley Moore

I intended this as a precursor to a "Derek & Clive" youtube clip, but checking, they are really foul, would disturb the Mods and besmirch the thread,so I won`t. But don`t let that stop you googling them yourself. Derek and Clive are the blue version of Dud and Pete,Pete being English comedian and alcoholic Peter Cook, who teamed with Dudley Moore in comedy.

John Lee Hooker is the blues as far as I'm concerned. Thanks for posting, RT. I had never heard the Doors with John Lee. Also, a great looking '57 Chevy convertible in my favorite color for that car.

"This is the strangest life I've ever known", Jim Morrison.

Also, Bruce, I didn't know that Dudley Moore was a jazz pianist.

Last edited:
Bruce, I didn't know that Dudley Moore was a jazz pianist.
Don, he was a man of broad skills, actor, comedian both funny and smutty funny,and a good though perhaps "tinkly" jazz pianist.
He died relatively young of a Parkinsons like illness. His comedy partner Peter Cooke I think died of an alcohol related illness. They were very funny together, both as Dud and Pete and as Derek and Clive.

Here's a group that we seem to have missed, The Staple Singers. Here they are at their induction inot the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame with Respect Yourself and I'll Take You There.

Heard this one on 70s Satellite Radio this evening.

The Diva, Miss Diana Ross, and The Supremes. What a string of hits they had!

You have been busy Don. The Staple Singers were new to me,but I knew of Mavis Staples,some presenters on a local FM station play her. A quick search yes,she was in the family band, the talented Staple Singers.

This came to mind, "I`m in Dreamsville" music by Henry Mancini from Peter Gunn TV series,lyrics added, sung by Sue Raney who I don`t know but is an impressive singer. The tune is what I call an "earwig", it can stay in mind for days.

Bruce, Sue Raney comes from a time when we had real singers. We sometimes called them crooners. Our good singers such as julio iglesias are aging out. Michael Buble comes to mind as a successor to the genre.

How about a little Happy tune?

This is a little left field.Left Bank really. It`s Saint Germain,a Paris based avant garde jazz band, playing with John Lee Hooker on this track, makes it more interesting and gives the band some approval. If you`ve never heard Saint Germain before you might not like their individual style, but give it a try, apparently John Lee Hooker approves.

We seem to have missed anything from Cher. No matter how you feel about her as a person, I think you would have to admit that she has been an amazingly enduring talent. She has one of the strongest voices in the popular music field. Here is Cher and Believe.

Here's one from the 80s, Kool and the Gang and Get Down On It.

Last edited:
Thank you Sir

You mentioned in a PM that charles trenet wrote La Mer. I had not given any thought to who wrote it, but he is the one I have always associated with the song. So, here he is performing his own composition. Thanks for the education.

You mentioned in a PM that charles trenet wrote La Mer. I had not given any thought to who wrote it, but he is the one I have always associated with the song. So, here he is performing his own composition. Thanks for the education.

You are welcome. If you’re a fan of the late Bobby Darin, you’ve no doubt heard his version of «Beyond the Sea» the best known by many released in 1959. Indeed the original version belongs to Charles Trenet.

I'm not about to disclose here the full content of my PM but few know that Charles Trenet wrote poem «La Mer» at the age of 16 in 1929, long before the melody of what was to become the song. In 1943 he composed the tune on a train ride between Montpellier and Perpignan. Since then more than 400 different versions of «La Mer» and «Beyong The Sea» have been recorded by a variety of great artists including Beatle John Lennon who - according to my family - recorded a French version of «La Mer» in summer 1980 at Cannon Hill in Cold Spring Harbor (NY).

Thanks for the original «La Mer» sung by Charles celebrating on 18 May 1993 his eightieth birthday on stage at the Opera Bastille in Paris.

Now, you would have to mention one of my favorites, Bobby Darin. He will always be associated with Mack the Knife. Bobby was the original Mr. Cool.

Here he is with Beyond the Sea. A live and lite version.

How about this early performance from 1959?

Last edited:
Now, you would have to mention one of my favorites, Bobby Darin. He will always be associated with Mack the Knife. Bobby was the original Mr. Cool.

Here he is with Beyond the Sea. A live and lite version.

How about this early performance from 1959?

Thank You Sir for these Very Best Of Bobby Darin. A great tribute to an oustanding multi-talented artist who unfortunately left us much too young.

Let's bring back one of the most successful recording groups of all time, Fleetwood Mac. This one is rare in that it features Lindsey Buckingham on vocal and the entire USC Marching Band. Lindsey is an amazing guitarist which is not show cased in the number.

. . . . and one as some many do featuring the raspy voice of Stevie Nicks on vocal.

For a change of pace here is something from the Moody Blues, Nights in White Satin.

Table of content

I created a table of content of that Thread processed in a Excel spreadsheet for consultation and research before posting in order to avoid possible duplication.
Find Text - artist, music - with Excel SEARCH Function. Currently sorted in ascending order of Post #, with Excel SORT Function you can rearrange the artist or song tittle's column in alphabetical order.

For those interested https://1drv.ms/x/s!AuAAWx2ZdQfLaw40QV5YkxiqrrA

Thanks so much, La Mer. That compilation took a lot of work.

Just stumbled across this from a 15 years old Steve Winwood.

Leonard Cohen recites “Sound Of Silence”

Leonard’s unique voice reading “Sound Of Silence” in tribute to Paul Simon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom