Couple More Items

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ctjstr

Vessel Name
"Convergence"
Vessel Make
Camano Troll
I've got a couple issues I'd appreciate some thoughts on.

First of all....DON"T LAUGH BUT.....where is the horn located? Back when I bought the boat, survey confirmed the horn didn't work. I have power through the switch but then..nothing. So, I went looking for the horn so I could check power on that end. I'm embarrassed to confess that I can't find the horn. No idea how many years they were located in the same place, but mine is a 97. Thanks for any help.

The other issue is certainly not unique to these boats. When its raining and we're in and out of the boat, the windshield gets pretty fogged up. On past boats, I've typically installed fans aimed towards the windshield. Since this time I'm starting from point zero, wonder if others have good suggestions.

I think this came up before, but I couldn't find it. I'm pretty bad at the search process.

thanks
toni

Toni, your horn will likely be on the outside of the boat somewhere. Either in front and above the pilothouse windows or on one side of the pilothouse. Mine are on the pilothouse roof. It (they) should be very obvious - which leads me to wonder if they had been removed. Look for a couple of screw holes in those locations with an exit hole for the wiring.

Last edited:
I was looking at pictures on yacht world and do not see the horn but it may be under the brow

sorry but on phone with no pics...what type of boat?

some newer ones have a horn behind a small grill on one side of the bow just under the gunnel.

I'll check today, but I believe the horn is above the front windows (outside) under the brow.

RE the fogging issue, yes this can be an issue. Especially when it is raining, the humid air from outside along with your damp clothes makes this a potential issue in the enclosed environment that is a boat. I have two fans and run them when the windows get fogged up, but on especially wet days even this has a hard time keeping up. The key is ventilation, and playing with different configurations of cracking windows open has led me to something that works: I run the starboard fan blowing toward the front windows and angled to the port side so that breeze wraps around the front windows. I then open the port side window and the fan on the port side blows OUT the window. This seems to work well and keeps the windows clear.

If you don't want to install the fans, try opening both side windows to let there be cross ventilation.

Hope that helps!

Just a guess but if you don’t see where the horn is this is maybe the cause why it is not working... it may be missing :)

L

Put a little (quarter sized spot) Dawn dish detergent on a clean cloth and wipe down the inside of the windshield, then use another clean cloth to remove any residue left from the first application. This will work on windshields, dive masks, and mirrors as well. Won't last forever but is common and cheap.

Rain-x has an anti-fog product but it seems to streak worse than Dawn.

Put a little (quarter sized spot) Dawn dish detergent on a clean cloth and wipe down the inside of the windshield, then use another clean cloth to remove any residue left from the first application. This will work on windshields, dive masks, and mirrors as well. Won't last forever but is common and cheap.

Rain-x has an anti-fog product but it seems to streak worse than Dawn.

We have so many uses for dawn

thanks all for the suggestions. Jason pointed me in the right direction, confirmed by several here. Its tucked up under the "brow" below radar mount. Now that I have it in my sights, I'll see if it has power and hopefully solve the problem.

AS for the window fogging..here's at least what I'm going to start with. I have a small 12v fan which I will hook up. I also ordered a 12v fan that blows warm air. I'll mess with a combination and see how it goes. The warm air fan was less than 20 bucks, so can't go too far wrong.

Thanks for letting us know the final resolution.

On my AT, windows fog? I turn on the defroster.
To be honest, I think it takes a suction from the ER and blows it across the windshield.
Works fine. SMILE

I have 3 12vt fans in the saloon area. 2 are sort of in the wind path from the AC/heat outlets. They help stir up the air..... run them 24 hrs a day. They stop, remove, replace, throw the old ones away. I have one spare on board. Until otherwise proven, they are expendable
I also have 2 in the berth area to stir up the air.
The noise, I consider 'white noise' and helps mask the ringing in my ears.

On my AT, windows fog? I turn on the defroster.
To be honest, I think it takes a suction from the ER and blows it across the windshield.
Works fine. SMILE

I have 3 12vt fans in the saloon area. 2 are sort of in the wind path from the AC/heat outlets. They help stir up the air..... run them 24 hrs a day. They stop, remove, replace, throw the old ones away. I have one spare on board. Until otherwise proven, they are expendable
I also have 2 in the berth area to stir up the air.
The noise, I consider 'white noise' and helps mask the ringing in my ears.
What make / model 12 volt fans are you using?

I have thought about adding a roof vent just aft of the forward windows. That location would vent under the flybridge controls and if properly capped would only let water in in such conditions that water ingress would be the least of your problems. MY RV was so much nicer inside when the roof vent was open.

My concern... Messing up the headliner.

Miltonp have you seen a fletnor roof vent? They include the the outside vent and an inside seal to block off the vent when not in use. Has trim rings around the duct opening to dress the hole in the ceiling.

Guessing you are referring to the Flettner wind powered vents. They seem to have a strong following but they don't look good for a protected 'wind-free' location like under the flybridge instrument panel. Something to keep in mind though.

You're right, if you are talking about under / inside the fly bridge instrument panel. Anywhere else, with outside breezes, should help draw out stale air and keep water / spray outside.

Flettner 2000™ Ventilator - Flettner

these guys are on just about every delivery van in England. Don't see them much in the U.S. but there is at least once company that sells them here...
https://www.inlad.com/roof-vents-by-flettner

You're right, if you are talking about under / inside the fly bridge instrument panel. Anywhere else, with outside breezes, should help draw out stale air and keep water / spray outside.

Flettner 2000™ Ventilator - Flettner

these guys are on just about every delivery van in England. Don't see them much in the U.S. but there is at least once company that sells them here...
https://www.inlad.com/roof-vents-by-flettner

Stub: Do you have one? Looks like a neat product.

I don't own one but was quite curious when seeing them everywhere in England, saw a delivery / service truck and inspected the vent. The driver said he wouldn't want to be without it... This was when everyone was apologizing for the heat wave, since the temps were in the 80's (F), which isn't a problem for me since I live in FL.

They turn silently, and the cap has cups to make it spin, which pulls air out from under the cap. This keeps water from being driven under the lip of the spinning cap. They recommend adding an air intake somewhere on the vehicle to let the cap draw fresh air through.

Back
Top Bottom