video of Albemarle Loop trip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Did yo figure out the 2.5 depth warning issue?

Did yo figure out the 2.5 depth warning issue?

Seems to mostly be a problem in 10' of water or less. Maybe weeds? Maybe thermocline? Maybe sediment stirred up near the bottom? It's a mystery to me.

Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Very nice. I've been around and through that area several times. I very marginally prefer the Dismal swamp route specifically for the opportunity to stay over at the visitor center, midway, which affords a visit to the state park. Small but interesting, none the less. We've yet to transit the swamp route without a bump or two. Whether it is from errant logs or deadheads is not known and no damage has been done thus far. Seems high water events may wash "stuff" into the fairway OR preceding vessels may stir up "stuff" from the bottom. I look forward to future vid's. Thanks.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. sbg. Very nice. I've been around and through that area several times. I very marginally prefer the Dismal swamp route...
Maybe I'll work up enough nerve to try it out this fall. If all those sailboats can get through, surely I should be able to do it. I worry about one of my twin props getting dinged, but I suppose there is ample opportunity for that elsewhere along the ICW.

SBG, if dinging a prop is your worry, have mama stand at the bow as you very slowly proceed ahead and be prepared for her signal to go into neutral.

High tide is your friend.

Greetings,
Mr. GFC. The Dismal Swamp Canal had essentially 0 water clarity the times I've been through. It is basically a ditch contained by a lock at either end with little to no water movement other than prop wash and what small amount gets released during a lockage. No tide. As I recall, there is one turn throughout it's length and as has been mentioned, is narrow.

I might be described as boring but I've never found it to be so.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom