Trawler B&B

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casey6404

Veteran Member
In doing my research, I'm coming up empty handed and knew someone here may have some answers for me. I'm in the initial stages of finding and purchasing a boat to cruise the Loop in a few years. Trawlers are on my short list. At this point in the process I'd like to find a trawler that I can rent for a weekend to stay aboard while docked. Taking baby steps and I don't want to charter one just yet but wanted the wife and I to experience staying on one for a weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at AirB&B and a few other similar websites but can't seem to find anything. I'm in NC so something within a reasonable drive would be great.

Any suggestions?

I have seen them in the past on both airbnb and vrbo

Sarasota , New Orleans, Charleston

best of luck to you and let us know if you find one

I would only consider a true yacht charter operation unless all you want to do is stay aboard at the dock. AirBnB has a few of the latter and you may or may not be covered by insurance. But most informal boat rentals don't cover you for insurance as it is considered commercial use and that is not allowed under recreational policies.

Southwest Florida Yachts in one of the few in the area that is a real charter operation- Yacht Charters Florida Trawler Charters - Sailboat Powerboat Bareboat, Grand Banks, Krogen, and Mainship Yacht Charters

David

At the eastern end of the Erie barge canal there are fine steel euro style long boats for rent.

They require almost no experience to rent and operate , I am sure one of the companies would rent one NOT to be moved .

These narrow boats are the best start for the bride.

She will enjoy the time aboard , and every boat you look at afterward will seem hugely more spacious, saving you from needing a roomaran.

Poseidon® Barge Rentals - Heavy Construction Land & Sea‎

Adwww.poseidonbarge.com/‎

Heavy Highway Construction, Dredging, Marine & Diving Contractors.
Search Results

Canalboat Rentals | Midlakes Navigation | Skaneateles, NY

https://midlakesnav.com/canalboat-rentals

Canalboat Rentals General Information. ... Don't worry! The boats are simple and the canal system is boater-friendly. ... What's the Erie Canal like? We provide a ...

Erie Canal Houseboat Rentals and Vacation Information

Erie Canal Houseboat Rentals and Vacation Information

Erie Canal Houseboat Rental and Vacation Information for New York - House Boat Vacations Rental - Mid-Lakes Erie Macedon Landing marina.

Welcome to Erie Canal Cruise Lines!

www.canalcruises.com/

Explore the historic. Erie Canal. •. You're the Captain: Self-drive boat rentals. •. Cruise, eat and sleep aboard your own rented canal boat!‎Erie Canal Experience · ‎About Our Boats · ‎Rates & Schedules · ‎Cruise Map Routes

Boat Rentals and Cruises - New York State Canals - Canal Corporation

www.canals.ny.gov › Boating

Erie Canal Cruise Lines P.O. Box 285. Cape Vincent, NY 13618 (800) 962-1771, English-style narrowboats, Seneca Falls, Erie (western & central), Oswego, and ...

Touring the Erie Canal on a Rented Canal Boat - Part 1 of 3 - YouTube

▶ 20:50

Mar 19, 2013 - Uploaded by Terry Wysocki
We rented a 42' Canal Boat with our friends, the Crouse's and cruised the Erie

Most airbnb boats are glammed up floating condo's that barely move. They can be money makers but alot of them i've seen dont move.

Even the ones that do are strictly as a place to spend the night and not "Chartered" which I think might be against the law to charter a boat without a captains license.

I've seen listing for B&B boats. However, the listing usually explicitly says that the boats are not to be taken out.

In some cases you can take the boat out, but that is a whole different arrangement.

Thanks for the replies and info. Right now I just want to find a nice trawler docked and spend a day or two on it with no intentions of taking it out. I'm very comfortable on boats and would love to charter one but the wife has some uneasiness and I figured spending some time on one while docked would help her ease into chartering one the next time. Then ultimately a purchase. She's all for purchasing one and loves the idea of cruising and doing the Loop, I just want to ease her in to the process with baby steps and no pressure. If I push too hard I'll be cruising alone in a 8 foot dinghy eating bologna sandwhiches.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I would make sure that you find a big boat, larger what than you might own someday, for her to try. Look for something in the 50' to 60' range and damn the expense: you want to really sell the experience to her.

Last edited:
Staying at a dock will give you only small part of the experience of doing the loop. It will be more like a condo with the water at your front door.

So start with that and if it goes alright then if you don't have the skills to do it yourself, charter a captained boat for a week. Make sure that you anchor out much of the time. The area where SW Florida Yacht Charters is located is full of pretty, quiet anchorages: Boca Grande, Cayo Costa State Park, etc. But also pick up a mooring at Ft Myers Beach and experience the night life and beach scene if you are into that kind of stuff.

Then take some Power Squadron classes or similar to develop your skills. If I were starting out with no big boat experience I would charter at least 2-3 weeks and try out different types of boats before I jumped into finding a loop boat. You might combine a charter to the PNW with a Trawlerfest. Anacortes Yacht Charters is a big one in that area and the Trawlerfest is usually at Bremerton in May.

David

They have one in Biloxi, Ms, several in Orange Beach, Al, and a few in Panama City, FL. listed on AirBnB. They are all docked and a couple will take you out for an additional fee.

Search the area go to filters and check off boat

Airb&b was tried in our Marina by one owner W/O marina permission. One dockside hell raisin all night Party was all it took to let the cat out of the bag. Funny thing, the slip holders overall and especially the live aboards wereNOT happy. No buy in, no extended responsibility, here today and gone tomorrow leaving a mess perhaps for others. Nope, that was short lived. Done, Done, Done. In reality, a shame really, but as is life it only takes one ass H.

I would contact a regular charter company and tell them what you want to do. I’m sure they would love to charter the boat and not have to worry about it leaving the dock. I think you should also take the opportunity to get a lesson in boat handling.

I'd agree with the premise of just spending a few nights on the boat without moving. Good way to "break the ice". Make a few simple meals, sit out and enjoy the view, talk with others on the dock, etc. I could also argue to try to find a boat close to the one you want and can afford. If you take your lady on a 70 ft yacht with while glove dock hands and then buy a beat up old 25 ft Bayliner, you might loose your loop experience.

Getting out on the water is step two.

Trawler airb&b

In doing my research, I'm coming up empty handed and knew someone here may have some answers for me. I'm in the initial stages of finding and purchasing a boat to cruise the Loop in a few years. Trawlers are on my short list. At this point in the process I'd like to find a trawler that I can rent for a weekend to stay aboard while docked. Taking baby steps and I don't want to charter one just yet but wanted the wife and I to experience staying on one for a weekend.

Anyone have any suggestions? I've looked at AirB&B and a few other similar websites but can't seem to find anything. I'm in NC so something within a reasonable drive would be great.

Any suggestions?
I have an airb&b listing that you may be interested in. It's a waterfront carriage house on the eastern shore of Chesapeake Bay. At my dock is a 34 ft Trawler that you could stay on if you prefer or you could stay in the carriage house. It would be your choice. Use key word Deerpond Carriage House in your search and you will see photo of the trawler in one of the photos.

Back
Top Bottom