View Single Post
Old 05-26-2018, 08:08 AM   #17
Maerin
Guru

City: East Coast
Vessel Name: M/V Maerin (Sold)
Vessel Model: Solo 4303
Fast horse at 50 yards..... But the crinkling is the result of too much material, too thick. Yes, it's curing top down.

I'll add +++ to the foam brush. I'd used the expensive Epifanes varnish brushes for a long time, but have switched 100% to foam brush for varnish. All foam brushes are not created equal, the ones you'll get at the home centers look the same but are not. JENN is the brand to use, it'll be stamped on the handle.

I'm also in the thinning camp. Even though Epifanes recommends straight from the can for final coats, I always thin. If you're starting on bare wood, thin at least 50% or more for 1st coat. 50/30/20/10. The graininess will fill in if you wetsand between coats. I remove the sanding residue with Dawn & water, wipe dry and then even things with a scotchbrite pad. I prefer a wipedown with denatured alcohol over acetone, acetone doesn't always play nice with the varnish. And.. a tack rag just ahead of the varnish. More coats = that mirror deep finish. No shortcuts to a high gloss.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3432.jpg  

https://maerin.net
Maerin is offline   Reply With Quote