Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is my first post so thought I'd make it interesting (not sure my Tolly 34 qualifies though it is nice). This boat has been moored on the Multnomah Channel off the Columbia River for the last year or so. Looks like it's had a hard life. Not captured is the fact it seems to have a very narrow beam so I'm wondering if it used to be a patrol boat.

4878-albums715-picture4329.jpg

I've been looking into this boat for more details on the hull. I think you may be in the PNW area. If so, this could be the boat.

Not much info on her though.
POLAR STAR (IMO 7612008, Trawler) - Ship Details and Current Position | Vessel Tracking

Marine Power & Equipment

Yes, but she says Seattle for her port. That said, the record posted says she was renamed and if that boat was built in 1974, those were some hard hard years of being run hard and put away wet.

I do like it though.

My imagination has so many ideas running through it for that boat. Unfortunately, my pocketbook says nope. Not even if it were offered for free. The fuel bill on that old girl is probably outrageous. It is a pretty nice hull though. I bet she slips through the water without much disturbance.

Do not offer $5 unless you really want it.

Why dont folks sell their boats while it still has significant value.

Good for you.

May 16th 2006 for me. The devil's nectar no longer controls my life. Lucky for me, I've been able to keep it together and not fall off the wagon.

Hey! It's a meet & greet :thumb:

July 4, 2010 :dance:

One equalled many, so had to stop. Fixed costs of boat are pretty much what I used to spend on booze and cigarettes :D

My imagination has so many ideas running through it for that boat. Unfortunately, my pocketbook says nope. Not even if it were offered for free. The fuel bill on that old girl is probably outrageous. It is a pretty nice hull though. I bet she slips through the water without much disturbance.

Oh yeah, extend the house aft, add a deck upper deck. Dreamy and lots and lot and lots of dollars.

ben2go, The Multnomah Channel off the Columbia River is in Oregon.

That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure. Thanks for filling me in. :thumb:

Yes, but she says Seattle for her port. That said, the record posted says she was renamed and if that boat was built in 1974, those were some hard hard years of being run hard and put away wet.

I do like it though.

Oh, I do agree with you. Hard worked, real hard and never put away.

I like those lines as well.

Do not offer $5 unless you really want it.

Why dont folks sell their boats while it still has significant value.

I may really want it, but at $5, I still couldn't afford it.

I'll never understand why people hold on to things like that. I have done it myself with somethings of lesser value like autos and motorcycles. :facepalm:

Hey! It's a meet & greet :thumb:

July 4, 2010 :dance:

One equalled many, so had to stop. Fixed costs of boat are pretty much what I used to spend on booze and cigarettes :D

:thumb:
Replace two addictions with one way better addiction, BOATS! :rofl:

Oh yeah, extend the house aft, add a deck upper deck. Dreamy and lots and lot and lots of dollars.

I see that you understand my vision. :D

The only good thing about it is I can do most all of the work myself. I just have to consult a Naval Architect first and my doctors. :ermm:

I do like it though.

We know it's a dry stack.
Unless you are up to a little breaking and entering, we may never know anything about the Polar Star.

Not terribly interesting, but I did laugh when this guy paddled by.

Attachments

• Paddleboard.jpg
    Paddleboard.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 114
We know it's a dry stack.

Unless you are up to a little breaking and entering, we may never know anything about the Polar Star.

Something tells me you would be hard pressed to get into legal trouble, as I really doubt anyone would admit to being the owner for fear of being found out. You might get clocked by some hermit though.

I see the Midnight Lace is up in Washington, I wonder what it is like running the boat at 19kts through a light chop on a misty day from the front cockpit? By the looks of the electronics suite it is more than a simple auxiliary helm for harbors and mooring, so perhaps the owner knows something we don't. I think it would be great for the Bahamas and other similar places, but you have to like the lack of privacy in the master since it looks like it is also a hallway.

It is an iconic design ..... but I'm not sure it is a good fit for the PNW. A Bimini would ruin the lines but would be a must in Seattle I'd think. If you ever see green water over the bow, it will fill the bow cockpit and find a way into your master stateroom. I guess that is when the life raft comes in handy.

Greetings,
That Midnight Lace-WOW, just WOW! I can't imagine what the feeling would be at 20 knots in the bow with 50' of boat behind you. I wonder if it comes with seat belts?

I did a bit of boat designing in my teens; with dad on his draft/sketch table. He designed semi displacement raised deck models. I often designed boats with [what was then] futuristic looks, e.g. sweeping lines... similar to Pretty Lady. But, surely without the forward pilot station. Personally, I believe that feature is a death trap for more than one reason.

Also, I was interested in the 52'ers dry weight of 19K + lbs. Our 34' Tolly is 17K dry.

No inside helm?
I would forgo the fwd station for an inside station.

IMO, only those with ego problems refer their boat as a yacht. Granted there is a time and a place to call it a 'ship' too. LOL

Daddy used to say "Ah, 'tis the yachting life" which basically meant a dirty job in the bilge, involving oil, rust, impossible to reach fittings or something onerous. Or odoriferous. That's the 'yachting life' at least according to my Daddy.

Ours was not a yacht.

Daddy's boat:
OnSistersCreek.jpg

In 1973 I was 36 and swore off forever---and did it ciggies too!

Good for YOU!

I overpowered two packs a day 18 days after I quit everything else on November 25th 1995... about mid way through my 43rd yr.. Figured if I was going to clean up I'd better do it completely.

Haven't had a drink, puff, toke nor anything else since. Would not be here these days if I had not cleaned up 100%. Had quite the party life up to that time. Still enjoy a good party today - but I do things in a much, much different way!

Writing, regarding my oncoming future/personal disasters, was on the wall, back then; I finally read the whole paragraph that convinced me to dramatically change my ways.

Cleaned up completely on my own volition... but not on my own.

:whistling:

and the cooler is filled with beer and sandwiches.

I wonder what anchor he uses. :rofl:

Daddy used to say "Ah, 'tis the yachting life" which basically meant a dirty job in the bilge, involving oil, rust, impossible to reach fittings or something onerous. Or odoriferous. That's the 'yachting life' at least according to my Daddy.

Ours was not a yacht.

Daddy's boat:
OnSistersCreek.jpg

That is a nice boat. I like the clean simple look it has.

Ours was not a yacht.

Daddy's boat:

OnSistersCreek.jpg

WOW, Janice - You would not believe how similar that "raised deck" boat of your dad's is to the last cruiser boat my dad owned. She was in rough shape when we ushered her into the family; had really good bones though. Within a couple years dad and I had her in great shape and repowered with a single 180 hp. Perkins [replaced a tired Nordberg Knight gasser]. Did years of northern east coast off shore and inner water way cruising on that baby! :thumb: :D

Interesting bow. OAL and WLL must be close to the same.

OnSistersCreek.jpg

WOW, Janice - You would not believe how similar that "raised deck" boat of your dad's is to the last cruiser boat my dad owned. She was in rough shape when we ushered her into the family; had really good bones though. Within a couple years dad and I had her in great shape and repowered with a single 180 hp. Perkins [replaced a tired Nordberg Knight gasser]. Did years of northern east coast off shore and inner water way cruising on that baby! :thumb: :D

Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see her. These older boats were slender girls... not the wide ones of today. Boats have evolved. Though I prefer the look of the narrow beamed vessels I will admit the wider ones have loads more living space.

I truly loved my home. She evolved over the years. When I was first riding my tricycle it was around the engine box. When taken to shore I did not realize that the trike could go in a straight line.

A bit of history about her can be found on this page:
janice142 article The Fishing Boat

Interesting bow. OAL and WLL must be close to the same.

Yes. When the folks went to register her there was an increased fee if she was 40' long. As her plans and original build was 40' exactly, Daddy made her shorter. He heated the bow and got her glowing red. (She's steel.) Then tossed water at her until she shrank. She is exactly 39' 11 3/4" long.

And thus has all the rules that apply to the under 40' boat.

My Daddy was a Character with a capital "C"
Here's another photo of his pride and joy:
BootKeyHarbor.jpg

Do you have any pictures? I'd love to see her. These older boats were slender girls... not the wide ones of today.

Just a couple photos showing close up of folks in transom. Good photos of the boat are probably deep in barn-storage at my brother's house in Maine. Love your pictures and your dad's boat! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom