Old 05-21-2018, 01:47 PM   #15
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Yes, I think that's the route we're going to take as well. The use of bungees to help hold them up, and being hung from hooks should offer the least complicated way to store and retrieve them. Coil them as per usual, on a hook and then snap the bungee across the lower section. The only downside/question is how many hooks. A rail would allow more, but then we're back to tying them off.

Of course in digging through various hatches I discover one or two are missing their little cam that holds them down to the deck. Looks like I'll have a few pieces to get from Izerwaren. That and the gas lift strut on one has quit.

You will notice that the hooks are rather large. I can loop three coils of 5/8" line on each one. If you look close you will see that there is a stainless eye between the hanging coils and then one on either side. The bungee is trapped in the center eye and stretched from center out over the coil. That way there is never a loss of the bungee. One of them needs to be replaced. It was there when I bought the boat and I think is probably about 7 years old.

FWIW, I have two of those same stainless hooks on the back wall of the saloon mounted one above the other on the port side. It is just on the other side of the ladder to the fly-bridge. I usually have four lines hanging on those two hooks and just leave them there. Those lines are adequate for most of the docking we do when traveling. Our home dock has permanent lines that stay on the dock. It is under cover, easy to grab, they don't go anywhere, and are out of the way. Rain will get them wet, but they dry out. I use the lazarrette hatch to store additional lines that I may need.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote