snaps, zippers, Velcro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gordon B

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
41' Defever
Hi to all,
I'm not a big fan of zippers and less so of snaps. Has anyone ever used Velcro for a fly-bridge enclosure?
What would be the good and bad points.
Thanks

I have not had good luck with Velcro in a UV environment. Bungee straps might be an option. Not sure of your application.

G B
I have used Velcro on boat canvas but only to kerp flaps closed and prevent wind driven rain leakage.
Ihave found that even in short NE seasons the vrlcro only lasts a couple of yrs.
I do not promote using it but will do it where prior psnels had it and customers want it.
I have had many requests to repair pickup tonneau covers where the velcro has failed.
I would strongly suggest rethinking ypur position but you are the customer and get to make the decision.

Are you thinking velcro on fiberglass & windscreen to eliminate snaps and top & sides to eliminate zips?

What are your objections to zippers... the most common closure.

I have not had good luck with Velcro in a UV environment. Bungee straps might be an option. Not sure of your application.

3M Dual Lock claims to be UV resistant.

In wind and driving rain, I don't believe Velcro would hold. Snaps and zippers have better holding power.

I have seen it used but never with good results

I have used dual lock and it's great. Don't know if there's a version of it that can be sown to fabric. As others have said, Velcro doesn't hold up very long when exposed to UV. Perhaps if it was covered with some kind of flap?

Ken

Love velcro in the proper application. Using it in place of snaps or zippers isn’t the proper application. It will not hold on its own in a strong wind. +1 on the UV deterioration.

I have used dual lock and it's great. Don't know if there's a version of it that can be sown to fabric. As others have said, Velcro doesn't hold up very long when exposed to UV. Perhaps if it was covered with some kind of flap?

Ken

I once fastened it to heavy fabric with ss pop rivits and backing washers.

Thanks for all the info. I had thought of replacing zippers on the fly-bridge canvas when they failed.
Although I wasn't ready to do anything yet I am glad I asked.
Thanks again
Gordo

I use twist locks on high stress points and at some corners to hold the panel in place and then use regular snaps in between. I don’t use twist locks where they will stick out and get caught on you when passing by.

How do you get zippers back together when they are just a little bit short from elements? Glass will not meet and leaks are result. It is making me crazy!

If you truly can’t get them to come close enough to zip, then you may be able to move the zippers closer to the edge of the panel. Downside is that the zipper will be more exposed to UV. But it may make them work until it is time to replace the enclosure.

Velcro is almost as bad as silicone.

I have used the EZ-Xtend zippers and they work well. They add about an inch so the gap needs to be severe or you will have loose canvas.

Back
Top Bottom