Cars we should have kept

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
For a film project I'm currently directing we worked yesterday with a wonderful prop.* It is a 1966 Pontiac GTO that has won virtually every car show competition it has been entered in.* For example, the frame is powder coated gloss black.* The engine is the optional*TriPower V-8, it has a manual transmission with a Hurst shifter, the whole bit.

According to the owner--- who's in the car restoration business--- this car would fetch upwards of $50,000 today.* Working with it reminded me of some of the stuff we all have as kids or in college that we sell because we want something newer or we need the money, and then decades later come to regret.

Two of the biggies for me are from my freshman year in college.* I had an Austin Healey 3000 MKII for part of the year.* At the time, it was just an used*British sports car that wasn't worth all that much.* It was in great shape and ran wonderfully.* I sold it when I decided to leave Colorado State University and go back to Hawaii.* Big mistake.

The other thing was an M1 Garand National Match rifle.* I bought it in mint condition*for $65 in a gun store in Ft. Collins.* For anyone who doesn't know, the National Match version of the M1 Garand was identical to the WWII infantry rifle only it had much tighter tolerances in many of the the machined parts and much better sights.* It was made specifically for accuracy and was created for, among other things, 1000 yard open sight competitions in the military.* They are relatively rare and while I have not looked up prices today, they are worth a hell of a lot more than what I paid for mine.* This, too, I sold when I left Colorado to go back to Hawaii.* I sold it back to the same store I bought it from for...... $65.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

The photo is a frame lifted from one of the film scenes.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 02:11:24 AM

Attachments

• gto scenes.17.jpg
    gto scenes.17.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 112
Wow, yes, that's a nice car...I keep hoping my old trusty 21 yr old Celica GT4 Turbo 4WD will one day become a classic, to justify all I've spent on it, but I like things that are oldies but goodies....
Hey Marin, that gun...or I should say, rifle, sorry, was it anything like the good old 303 the Brits and their allies used in WW2...?
We were still using those in the 60s when I was in our high-school shooting team. Back then there was no concern over little things like hearing loss. I remember coming home from the range after a practice session and everyone sounded like they were talking to me through a blanket. Even as a 14 yr old I thought "this can't be good", and started taking cotton wool to plug up a bit with. I'm sure some of my high frequency hearing loss was caused back then, but boy, it was fun.

-- Edited by Peter B on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 06:59:45 AM

Marin,
Know what you mean.
Sold my MG Tf when I first went to sea. I fully rebuilt it whilst I was doing my apprenticeship as a fitter and turner.
Use to hill climb it and use it as a daily drive. Engine change on a Friday night to go racing , home on Sunday arvo
to put my street engine back in for going to work.

My other was a wooden presentation box 9 mm German navy Luger with detachable butt and 3 barrels. Hand guns were illigal in Aus with out a Lic (still are) and I had to move it on at a silly price.
"Such is life"

My First car/love at 16 in 1961 was an Arnolt MG convertible (MG TD chassis and engine with custom Bertone coachwork) bought for $250. Only about 35 ever made. Eventually it got a cracked head and my father would not pay the $150 +/- to get it fixed so it got sold. Reasonably valuable today and I could replace the head myself now very easily and inexpensively.

Then in law school I bought a mid 60's Jaguar 3.8S sedan (manual with overdrive). Moved to Maine and the Jag was terrible in the snow so sold it and bought a Toyota FJ Landcruiser. I still lust after a mid 60's 3.8S but its constant upkeep needs drained my resources then and it's even more expensive to maintain these beasts now. They say one should have two jags of the same model: One to drive and one to be at the mechanic's. Too true.

When I was young I could only afford one car at a time and it had to serve as* primary transportation. Now I have the space and time to have a couple of car toys but can't afford to buy now the ones that I liked then (including, Marin, a Healey 3000). Nice cars are wasted on the young.

Attached pictures are of similar cars to the ones that I had that I found online for sale/sold.

Attachments

• mgarnolt.jpg
    mgarnolt.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 95
  • mgarnolt2.jpg
    mgarnolt2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 100
  • mgarnolt3.jpg
    mgarnolt3.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 99
  • jag3.8s.jpg
    jag3.8s.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 105
  • jag3.8s2.jpg
    jag3.8s2.jpg
    169.9 KB · Views: 107
  • jag3.8s3.jpg
    jag3.8s3.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 99
1950 Jaguar Mark V Drop Head with 3 position top.

1953 Jaguar XK 120 MC

Also not pictured a 1972 Mercedes-Benz 450 SEL that was a great,beautiful, fast car.

Both cars too expensive to maintain for a young family's everyday transportation.* I drove the M-B on the road in my business.* In restored condition*both Jags*could both easily bring around 100 grand today.* Oh well, they were fun while I had them.

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 10:21:20 AM

Attachments

• jaguar_xk_120_coupe_1948real.jpg
    jaguar_xk_120_coupe_1948real.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 261
  • don's mkv jag 2.jpg
    don's mkv jag 2.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 105
Moonstruck wrote:*Oh well, they were fun while I had them.
*A good epitaph! Could apply to boats, youthful years, and probably a few other things.

This was mine. 67 Plymouth Baracuda.

Man the fun I had in that car.

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 11:15:53 AM

Attachments

• 1967-plymouth-001.jpg
    1967-plymouth-001.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 115
Peter B wrote:
Hey Marin, that gun...or I should say, rifle, sorry, was it anything like the good old 303 the Brits and their allies used in WW2...?
*No, it was more advanced.* The US forces did not start the war with this rifle but it came into use soon after and eventually*became the standard issue weapon.

Like the Springfield bolt action rifle that preceded it, the M1 is.30 caliber (civilian name for the caliber is.30-06, 1906 being the year the cartridge was introduced).* The M1 is a gas-operated, semi-automatic rifle with an 8-round clip magazine that inserts from the top when the bolt is open.* The clip proved a bit problematic at times, not because it didn't work--- it worked very well--- but because after the last round was fired the bolt locked open and the clip, which was just a U-shaped piece of stamped metal, was ejected out the top of the rifle by a powerful spring.* It was powerful enough to thow the empty clip clear of the rifle and the rifleman, but because it was a single piece of stamped steel it made a very distinctive 'ring" when it came out of the rifle and hit the ground, particularly if it was rock or concrete.* The Germans and Japanese soon learned to recognize this sound, so when they heard it they knew they had a few seconds while the American pulled a new, pre-loaded clip out of his pouch and shoved it down into the rifle, which would automatically close the bolt and feed the first round into the chamber.

The legal number of rounds that could be carried in a rifle for hunting puroses in Colorado was five, so I modified a standard clip with a block of wood in the bottom which limited the clip*capacity to four (you could also load a round into the chamber independently of the clip).* The block also prevented the clip from being ejected after the last round was fired.

The clip "ring" aside, the M1 is a near-indestructible rifle that is almost jam-proof.* I first became aware of them when I was in 10th grade in Hawaii and, like all boys in the public and private schools over there at that time, was in Army ROTC (it was required, no excuses).* An M1 with the firing pin removed was assigned to each boy during 10th and 11th grades and*he was responsible for keeping it clean and so on.* We had drill every Wednesday after school for an hour and used the rifle for marching, running through the manual of arms, etc.

I really like the M1 so when I had the opportunity to buy one when I went to college I did.* My major mistake was to sell it. My National Match M1 looked identical to the photo below except*the open sights were difrferent and*much more refined.

More than you wanted to know, but there you have it.

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 03:07:23 PM

Attachments

• m1rifle.jpg
    m1rifle.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 98
Marin wrote:it worked very well--- but because after the last round was fired the bolt locked open and the clip, which was just a U-shaped piece of stamped metal, was ejected out the top of the rifle by a powerful spring.* It was powerful enough to thow the empty clip clear of the rifle and the rifleman, but because it was a single piece of stamped steel it made a very distinctive 'ring" when it came out of the rifle and hit the ground, particularly if it was rock or concrete.* The Germans and Japanese soon learned to recognize this sound, so when they heard it they knew they had a few seconds while the American pulled a new, pre-loaded clip out of his pouch and shoved it down into the rifle, which would automatically close the bolt and feed the first round into the chamber.
*The M-1 Garand was my rifle when in the army.* Because I had one in ROTC and on active duty, I could field strip and clean it blindfolded.* Reloading was very quick because, as you said, upon firing the last round the clip was expelled and the bolt stayed open.* Loading with a fully loaded clip from the top was fast.* Just be sure*to get the thumb out of the way before the bolt slammed shut.* I saw many a blood blister on a thumb.

It was a great reliable weapon.* It was heavy to carry all day, and*it had no full automatic mode.* It did beat by a long shot carrying a BAR.*

As a crewmember of a VTR, I was issued a .45 cal. "grease gun." Turned out to be a good deal; never had to go to the range, easy to clean, no-manual-of-arms, and if I dropped it in the Rhine, it would cost nine bucks to replace it. The ideal weapon for an unmotivated draftee.
biggrin.gif

When I was in high school in ROTC Viet Nam was going full bore. In addtion to our assigned M1s, which along with the Colt 1911 pistol*we had to learn to take apart and put back together blindfolded (we were tested on this and had a time limit to beat), we also were introduced to the M14 which was then the standard rifle in the Army. Very similar in operation to the M1 but it used a detachable, bottom load magazine and the upper hand guard was made of plastic in an attempt to reduce weight. The Army master sergeants who taught our ROTC classes didn't like it.

The M16 was just starting to make an appearance--- they weren't even called M16s then but were called AR15s. Our instructor brought one to class once so we could see it and get an introductory course on it. I remember that compared to the M1 and M14 it looked like a space ray gun. We also learned how to operate, dissassemble, and reassemble the M60 machine gun, something all high school students should know how to do.

It was a very different era plus Hawaii was a very military state being as how the military at that time was the number one source of income for the state. Tourism was a distant number three, behind the military and agriculture (sugar and pineapple).

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 08:35:44 PM

Yes, I see it is a much more sophisticated rifle than the old 303, which was simple bolt action, 10 round mag, and really simple. They served the boys well in the conflict however, being very accurate and reliable. The 303 refers to the bore dimension, being virtually the same as the M1 30 it appears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield

A good rifle squad with M-1s*covering a field of fire could do the work of one 30 cal. machine gun in a small area.* I never qualified with a machine gun.* With the average front line life of a machine gunner, I didn't want to get close to one.* We had a couple mounted on Jeeps and 3/4 ton trucks, but that was a suicide seat.* I think they were mostly noise makers for maneuvers.

We were later issued M-14s, and no one liked them.* We could never achieve the accuracy of the M-1.* They also were more sensitive to dirt in the field.* A jammed weapon can be a death sentence.

I wish I had my M1 Carbine, bought from the NRA in 1963 for $15. It was still in Cosmoline when I got it and was made by Underwood if I remember correctly. They were also selling Garands for maybe $25.

Peter B wrote:
The 303 refers to the bore dimension, being virtually the same as the M1 30 it appears.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee-Enfield
*Almost but not exact.* The .303 has a bullet diameter of 0.311 or 7.9 mm.* The .30-06 has a bullet diameter of 0.308 or 7.62 mm.* The casings of both rounds are very different.* The .303 is a rimmed case where the .30-06 has an rimmless case with an extractor groove.

Looks like this thread got hi-jacked. I was gonna comment on my 1967 Camaro SS convertible, bought new 2 days after discharge from the Navy.

350, Hurst 4 speed.* A real hog to drive -- no power steering, brakes -- also a manual top.* Parking, with those fat red-stripe wide oval Firestones, manual steering.. definitely not a chick car.*

Had to sell the car in '69 when I got married -- wife claimed she'd never learn to drive a stick.* Plus I don't think the SWMBO wanted me riding around in it any more.*
no.gif
disbelief.gif

Wish I still had even a photo of the car, but this one's an almost exact match, tho mine was blue.** Oh well, I don't have the car any more, but still have the wife.
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• 67camaroconvertible.jpg
    67camaroconvertible.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 98
well...my Tyrol Blue/Parchment 1967 GTO, 4 spd, tri-power, front disc brakes, ported heads, cam,..comes to mind. Now its on the New England show circuit.

For DD duty, I had an AUdi A6 4.2L (V8)...I was annoyed at having a sedan when I sold it...in retrospect it was a great balance of power and excellent fit/finish.* I had an '04 GTO as well, some of the suspension parts were under-spec'd and the styling wasn't too compelling, but it was also fun to drive and easy to tinker with.

My Porsche 928s, so far I've kept two and sold one...

Attachments

• 928av2.jpg
    928av2.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 259
  • frontlightsup.jpg
    frontlightsup.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 92
  • silver_gto_falken_koblenz_wheels.jpg
    silver_gto_falken_koblenz_wheels.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 97
Mine was a 1968 Dodge Charger with black vinyl top and red body, no pictures but a real beauty.
I've still got my first gun, an H&R .22 revolver, plus others, never got rid of one.
Steve W

Don't have a photo but it was neat experience today..... On the way up to the boat in Bellingham on I-5 we came up on an absolutely immaculate Rolls Royce. Similar in style to the web photo below (1959 RR Silver Cloud) it was two-tone like this but tan and burgandy. Right hand drive. What was cool was the couple driving it appeared to be in their eighties. Nice to see these machines still being cared for and used, and particularly nice to see older folks enjoying them.

Attachments

• rolls-royce_silver_cloud_1959.jpg
    rolls-royce_silver_cloud_1959.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 76
SMTCapeCod wrote:

My Porsche 928s, so far I've kept two and sold one...
I had one but was using it as an every day driver.* The problem was that it was a $1,500 repair bill going someplace to happen.* If you go to the 928 parts book, arranged by price,*the least expensive part is a "wiper blade insert" at $15.00, the next part price is $1,500.00.* Everything was pricey for that car.* So it went away.

At the time they were built the dyed in the wool Porsche folks didn't like them.* Mainly due to the water cooled, front*engine.* A*REAL Porsche had to be air cooled, rear engined.* But the factory drivers and engineers thought it was one of the best production Porsche ever.* Possible only bested by a 914 -6 at that time.

Things have changed some what*now that they are all water cooled.*

Interesting side story is that the first 928 Serial # 928-001, so to speak,*chassis was built, then the body put onto that chassis was an Audi two door coupe that was stretched a bit after the B post.* The reason for this was the car could be tested*on the track in Weissach and then on the Autobahn with out anybody being the wiser.* I saw pictures of that car and it looked like a miss shaped Audi Coupe.* You looked at it and knew something was wrong but could not put your finger on it.* Of course at 100 kph on the road it looked like any other Audi.

-- Edited by JD on Monday 21st of November 2011 10:14:58 AM

JD,

I used to look longingly at ads for the 928 thinking it must be a great car but never took the bait.

Marin,*

The Silver Cloud may be my favorite car. Thanks for posting it. It has an F head engine. Overhead intake valves and side exhaust valves. Never even sat in one much less driven one. Never driven a Jag sedan either. Maybe I would'nt even like the Cloud after driving one but my chances of driving one are zip so???

Since we're posting cars here's one I DID keep. Could'nt sell it before we left for Alaska so I decided to take it w me. I'd like to sell it but not up here. The 455 Buick power is amazing and I love driving it in other ways too. Except for the wheels, mufflers, and radial tires it's 100% original. I do'nt think it sold like the others because of it's color ...bronze (brown).

Attachments

• sth71057.jpg
    sth71057.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 71
nomadwilly wrote:Marin,*
The Silver Cloud may be my favorite car. Thanks for posting it. It has an F head engine. Overhead intake valves and side exhaust valves. Never even sat in one much less driven one. Never driven a Jag sedan either. Maybe I would'nt even like the Cloud after driving one but my chances of driving one are zip so???

Eric,

Rolls Royce's*have a*far better ride*in the back seat than they*do in the front.* They are not one of my favorites from a drivers point of view.

As a driver I like the Jag sedans far better.

JD wrote:
Rolls Royce's*have a*far better ride*in the back seat than they*do in the front.* They are not one of my favorites from a drivers point of view.
*Years ago for reasons far to convoluted to go into here I attended a Rolls Royce driving school.* This was back when manual transmissions were still common even on RRs.* One of the things they spent a lot of time teaching us to do was feather the brake as the car came to a stop to completely eliminate any "settle back" when the car stopped.* The objective is to bring the car to a complete stop without the occupants realizing it had stopped (other than seeing it out the window) or feeling any inertial force at all when the car comes to a stop.* It is harder to master than you might think.*

When I drive a manual car today--- not too many of them around but my BMW, Land Rover, and pickup are manual--- I still do this automatically.* I don't believe it can be done with an automatic transmission.* I've tried using every technique I could think of and there is no way to avoid a jolt even it it's just*a slight one.

Unfortunately lost the pictures in a fire.

1956 Willys pick up
1959 Chevy pick up
1965 Ford mustang stock
2 1968 Ford Bronco's one stock one over the top

Many others I was glad to part with.

Almost chucked this whole boating idea last Wednesday when I looked at an original 1964 AC Shelby in great condition sitting in a friends shop in Gilroy.
When my friend fired it up my wife drug me away kicking and screaming
biggrin.gif

Very yes! I've prided myself to be able to stop the "settle back". I usually stop so one can feel it but I come fairly close without thinking. I can't believe how many bus drivers actually do an exaggerated "settle back" and it's ridiculous to be so unskilled as a professional driver of people carrying vehicles. The way some of the drivers stop the buses in Ketchikan it's difficult to sit on the side seats. It's nice to know there are other drivers that are aware. Another nice thing to do for your passengers is to come out of a corner without an abrupt stop to the turn. Very few people return the wheel to the straight ahead position without a tad bit of an abrupt stop to the turn. Try to bring the turn to a very smooth completion and see the difference. Slow down the rotation of the wheel at a very nonlinear rate so the passengers ca'nt feel the completion of the turn. I like to do it. It's a bit like when you hit a golf ball perfectly.*

nomadwilly wrote:
*I like to do it. It's a bit like when you hit a golf ball perfectly.*
*That hasn't happened yet for me.

Speaking of Porsches, the modest city of Larisa, the capitol of Thessally (it's in Greece, for those of you in Rio Linda) with a population of 250,000 inhabitants, has more Porsche Cayennes than New York or London, due to E.U. agricultural subsidies and the Greek proclivity for not paying taxes.
no.gif

These were sent to my by the owner of the BMW shop I use. They are supposedly actual billboard that were put up around Detroit. I don't know if this is true but even if it isn't there are some good statements here.

Attachments

• gm1.jpg
    gm1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 76
  • gm2.jpg
    gm2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 73
  • gm3.jpg
    gm3.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 76
  • gm4.jpg
    gm4.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 70
  • gm5.jpg
    gm5.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 70
  • gm6.jpg
    gm6.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 75
  • gm7.jpg
    gm7.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 75
  • gm8.jpg
    gm8.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 78
  • gm9.jpg
    gm9.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 72
  • gm10.jpg
    gm10.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 78
  • gm11.jpg
    gm11.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 79
  • gm12.jpg
    gm12.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 70
  • gm14.jpg
    gm14.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 77
  • gm15.jpg
    gm15.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 75
  • gm16.jpg
    gm16.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 70
Detroit Iron

Noth'in like it

Every time I drive the old Buick the past comes roaring back.

Big *strong *smooth and graceful...

if driven by a gentleman

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom