Lazzaro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Donna

Guru
Vessel Name
Southerly
Vessel Make
1986 Marine Trader 36' Sundeck
Does anyone know anything about these beauties? I may have lost my mind, but I’m taking a look at one.

Do you mean Lazzara? if so I do a bit about them

Do you mean Lazzara? if so I do a bit about them

Yes, sorry talking on an iPhone. What do you think about them in general? The one I’m looking at is larger than I would like, but it has intrigued me.

In general they were pretty good boats. A picky guy I know (and fellow Hatteras owner) captains one and really likes it. I've been on a few. The styling never did much for me, but the guts looked pretty good. YachtForums.com would be a good place to ask and research past posts on them.

Ask about Lazarras at the Hatteras Owners forum.... that Hatteras owning Lazzara captain may be a poster there. Even if he isn't there is a wealth of big boat knowledge there and I do know that Lazarras are held in high esteem by many of the forum members.

Last edited:
Yes, sorry talking on an iPhone. What do you think about them in general? The one I’m looking at is larger than I would like, but it has intrigued me.

I think they are great looking. The one I know very well is called liquid asset. Our dock neighbor bought it his first venture into larger boats and maybe this one is just a lemon but he has had so many problems with it

transmissions replaced

engine rebuild

chasing leaks

gel coat cracking

It is actually on the market now

Tampa built boat, the Lazzara family has a long legacy of boatbuilding. Columbia sailboats and then founders of the Gulfstar family of yachts before starting Lazzara.
For the most part well engineered and built boats. I have visited the factory (now the Bertram factory) many times. Lazarra's were built in a unique segmented mold that allowed flexibility in size from the same set of modular mold segments.
If I was shopping for that size fiberglass boat I would definitely consider them on the short list. With the exception of Delta and Westport there are no large fiberglass boat builders in the US anymore.

:socool:

Tampa built boat, the Lazzara family has a long legacy of boatbuilding. Columbia sailboats and then founders of the Gulfstar family of yachts before starting Lazzara.
For the most part well engineered and built boats. I have visited the factory (now the Bertram factory) many times. Lazarra's were built in a unique segmented mold that allowed flexibility in size from the same set of modular mold segments.
If I was shopping for that size fiberglass boat I would definitely consider them on the short list. With the exception of Delta and Westport there are no large fiberglass boat builders in the US anymore.

And I believe Northern Marine is baaaack as well.

Yes and the family paid attention to detail I am not sure if the 2 I am very familier with are just lemons or they had bad years of bad ownership, prior to the previous owners but they are great looking boats.

By the way you can take a tour of the new Bertram ship yard by appointment

Hatteras makes both a 90 footer and a 100 footer. Of course, Westport moves up from there. You can add Trinity to the list of American big yacht builders too. I'm pretty sure Christensen is back in the game too.

And Woodland Hills is right, the Hatt owning captain of a Lazzara is a frequent poster there on the HOF (where I post as GJH) as well as Yachtforums including a long thread now on the refit of his 53MY.

A lot does depend on the year and the boat with Lazzara. They've gone through many iterations over the years with changes in design, ownership (infighting among relatives), and construction. Generally, they've been performance oriented. Occasionally they've had issues like cavitation or trim tabs needing changes or somewhat annoying but minor things and many of these have resulted from them taking a hull of one length and deciding to make a larger boat from that hull. If you ask about a specific model and year or specific boat on YF, you're likely to find someone very familiar, often even a captain who has run it. So, in general a good boat, but if you want to know further than that you need to get more specific.

1999 75ft. As many of you know I am relocating because of my job. This would become my primary residence on the gulf coast. Southerly stays on the east coast, but my brick and mortar home would go. Since this would be a major purchase and lifestyle change, I’m looking into it very carefully.

I'm pretty certain neither of these builders has a vessel under construction at this time. I know Christensen has an entity as I have recently seen correspondence with them about one of their last builds. Trinity was not a fiberglass boat builder.

You can add Trinity to the list of American big yacht builders too. I'm pretty sure Christensen is back in the game too.

I'm pretty certain neither of these builders has a vessel under construction at this time. I know Christensen has an entity as I have recently seen correspondence with them about one of their last builds. Trinity was not a fiberglass boat builder.

Sorry, I didn't know fiberglass was one of the criteria.

Christensen says they have boats under construction, maybe one of our Portlanders could go across the river and have a look...

We parked next to a 70 foot marlow this winter. The washing and waxing alone would keep you busy. The marlow owners pay a yard 5k to wash and wax, and detail their boat. Engine replacement ran over $100,000. I love the boat, but decided my 46 footer is work enough.

I would only own such a large boat if I could afford to pay someone to do all the work. I am not afraid of the work, but it is a serious amount of boat.

Christensen says they have boats under construction, maybe one of our Portlanders could go across the river and have a look...

Well, Trinity is not building recreational boats.

Christensen construction has generally continued off and on but has also been for the owner of Christensen or those close to him. I'm not aware of orders from the general public since the bankruptcy.

We parked next to a 70 foot marlow this winter. The washing and waxing alone would keep you busy. The marlow owners pay a yard 5k to wash and wax, and detail their boat. Engine replacement ran over $100,000. I love the boat, but decided my 46 footer is work enough.

I would only own such a large boat if I could afford to pay someone to do all the work. I am not afraid of the work, but it is a serious amount of boat.

One of our best friends owns a marlow ( billionaire boys club) way out of our legue

They certainly would have you believe otherwise. Or are we defining "recreational" differently?
Ditto Christensen.
Coincidentally, one of our kids lives in Portland and the other New Orleans. Perhaps I should send them out on a reconnaissance mission?
And we all forgot about Burger.

They certainly would have you believe otherwise. Or are we defining "recreational" differently?
Ditto Christensen.
Coincidentally, one of our kids lives in Portland and the other New Orleans. Perhaps I should send them out on a reconnaissance mission?
And we all forgot about Burger.

To my knowledge Trinity hasn't built a yacht in several years. They're now completely commercial. They were sold to a commercial builder. Trinity did have one straggler yacht on their yard for a couple of years. One of their final yachts was actually finished by Rybovich. Much like a couple by failing PNW builders that ended up at Delta. In talking large fiberglass boats, Delta shouldn't be overlooked, but the last new build I know of them delivering was Onika in 2014. Since it's been rebuild and refit and finishing boats others started.

Well, Burger survived on commercial during their downturn and now is building some recreational. They've built one 112' yachtfisher type and now building some 48' cruisers. Still waiting for orders for yachts. Some of what they built in the interim were tour boats for Lake Michigan. Burger's workmanship is great.

And, yes, the original quote by keysdisease was "with the exception of Delta and Westport there are no large fiberglass boat builders in the US anymore."

The question too is what does it take to be considered a large boat. There are many builders on the east coast building sportfishing boats in the 70-100' range. Some of them are excellent.

Back
Top Bottom