Changing boat name.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

awpptdt

Vessel Name
Donnchaidh
Vessel Make
Marine Trader 40' sedan
* With all that I am having to do to my boat I was thinking about changing it's name to "ROTTEN" but now that the rot has been eradicated a more appropriate name would be "PATCHES". Isn't there something about bad luck when changing a boats name midstream, hell if it weren't for bad luck I wouldn't have*any luck at all. What does the forum think about a midstream name change?

I changed mine from Grania (somethng of a Celtic sea Goddes) to Gumbo a couple of months after I bought her. Although there are some very elaborate ceremonies, you can find them on the intrernet, I just poured a shot of good rum on the bowsprit and offered a toast to the sea dieties and a small prayer for safety of boat and crew. That was three years ago so far so good!
Steve W.

* That is an excellent plan, but could I just drink the rum?

Our boat had one of those "clever" names playing on the brand name "Grand Banks." In our case the boat was named "Grand Destiny." The owner before had named the boat "Christopher Robin." I don't remember what the earlier names were-- they're listed on the documentation title search. Anyway, we named the boat "La Perouse." We had no ceremony at all. I made new name/nav light boards for the side of the flying bridge and new transom name and hailing port boards, put the lettering on, and installed them. That was it. The naming ceremonies are for the owners. The boat doesn't care.

"That is an excellent plan, but could I just drink the rum?"

Of course you can, if you want to spend the rest of your cruising life wondering when the Sea Gods will get even?

Steve W

Pay no attention to Marin as he likes to taunt the gods of the sea and the winds.*

Here's something we used for the renaming ceremony on FlyWright. It's a combination of a couple of variations we found on the net. It's divided into denaming and naming rituals.* We kind of got carried away with the very last, long sip.* It lasted several hours best I can recall.

Denaming:

In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.

Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus, guardian of the winds and all that blows before them...

We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.

Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known, (insert former boat name here), be struck and removed from your records. Further, we ask that when she is presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded, once again, the same privileges she previously enjoyed.

In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.
In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea.

Christening:

For thousands of years, we have gone to sea. We have crafted vessels to carry us and we have called them by name. These ships will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them "she." To them we toast, and ask to celebrate (insert new name here).

Response: To the Sailors of old.

(Everybody takes a sip.)

The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent. We ask that this ship be given the strength to carry on. The keel is strong and she keeps out the pressures of the sea.

Response: To the Sailors of old...and to the Sea.

(Everybody takes a sip.)

Today we come to name this lady (insert new name here) and send her to sea to be cared for, and to care for the (insert family name here) family. We ask the sailors of old and the mood of the god that is the sea to accept (insert new name here) as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely.

(While christening the bow with champagne or a libation of your choice) I name this ship (insert new name here) and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her.

Response: To the Sailors before us...To the Sea...To (insert new name here)!

Everybody takes a last, long sip.

FlyWright. I just printed all of your script. Good stuff. May the Gods of the Sea take favor on us all.
We're sad to report that Baja Ha-Ha vet Jan Anderson, 59, of the formerly Sausalito-based Island Packet 380 Triple Stars was washed overboard on Friday afternoon about 185 miles northwest of Bermuda while participating in the North American Rally to the Caribbean (NARC). Her husband Rob, also 59, activated the boat's EPIRB and called a mayday to report that Jan had been swept away by a 30-ft wave.

The Coast Guard dispatched an HC-130 Hercules SAR plane to the area, and the 600-ft tanker High Jupiter diverted to aid in the search, as well as to take Rob off Triple Stars. Tragically, the search was suspended on Saturday afternoon with no sign of Jan. Rob is aboard High Jupiter, which is bound for France, and Triple Stars is currently adrift.

-- Edited by PhatDad on Saturday 19th of November 2011 08:59:22 PM

Our Christening was very similar to FlyWright's, but it was more personalized.

CHRISTENING OF RECREATIONAL VESSEL
CARQUINEZ COOT
JUNE 25, 2011
For thousands of years, we have gone to sea.* We have crafted vessels to carry us, and we have called them by name.* They will nurture and care for us through perilous seas, and so we affectionately call them she.* To them we toast and ask to celebrate Carquinez Coot.
Raise glasses and all shout TO THE SAILORS OF OLD, TO CARQUINEZ COOT. *All take a sip of beverage.
The moods of the sea are many, from tranquil to violent.* We ask that this boat be given the strength to carry on.* The keel is strong, and she keeps out the pressure of the sea.
Raise glasses and all shout TO THE SAILORS OF OLD, TO CARQUINEZ COOT.* All take a sip of beverage.
Today we come to name this lady Carquinez Coot, and send her to sea to be cared for, and to guard Mark and Perla.* We ask the sailors of old and the mood of God that is the sea to accept Carquinez Coot as her name, to help her through her passages, and allow her to return with her crew safely.
Raise glasses and all shout TO THE SAILORS OF OLD, TO CARQUINEZ COOT.* All take a long sip of their beverage.
The speaker pours champagne over the bow and places a branch of leaves* on the boats deck.
All shout HURRAH!
Speaker reads red
Everyone shouts blue

-- Edited by markpierce on Saturday 19th of November 2011 10:08:52 PM

Attachments

• prost.jpg
    prost.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 145
There was another part where a virgin was supposed to pee in the bilge, but the only virgin we could find was a 3 year old cockapoo, so we skipped that part. Cries from the crowd, "Sacrifice the Virgin!!!" caused the dog owners and dog to immediately board their dingy and race off. They have not been heard from since then.

Hahaha 'Al' LOL *

There is still one left in Newfoundland CAN a little older than three but she is UGLY lookin*

Elwin*

FlyWright wrote:
Pay no attention to Marin as he likes to taunt the gods of the sea and the winds.*
Gven that everyone we know who has bought a used boat and renamed it did the same as us--- basically nothing other than change the lettering on the boat--- and given the fact that all these boats and their owners are still alive and well many years later leads me to believe that the only reason to have a naming celebraton is to have a party.* Which is a very good reason, don't get me wrong.

The only god (as in sea, wind, etc.) who I truly believe in is Pele, the Hawaiian goddess in charge of fire.* Living in Hawaii for as many years as I did, there were way too many examples of people pissing off Pele, usually by taking her stuff away from where she put it, and ending up freakishly dead to dismiss Pele as a legend.* Even super-cynical Mark Twain was not willing to write off Pele as just another pagan belief.

But Pele doesn't give a rat's ass about boats.* Boats are under the jurisdiction of Lono.* The first time Captain Cook showed up in Hawaii the locals all thought he was Lono, who in their legends sailed the sea in a big canoe with white sails.* The second time Cook showed up the locals knew better and killed him.

If Pele was in charge of boats we damn well would have had a re-naming ceremony and offered Pele one of her favorite beverages-- rum, gin, or whiskey (I always chucked a full bottle into the Halemaumau fire pit on the Big Island whenever I was in the neighborhood--- Halemaumau is where she lived in those days.* She has since moved house to a new crater.)

But Pele is not in charge of boats and Lono is a pussy, so we simply stuck new letters on the boat and called it good.

When I bought SeaHorse ll, I hated her name. (Still do.) Not wanting to anger the Gods, however, I changed the lettering and replaced SeaHorse ll with 24 carat gold leaf. Being an ex Navy guy, I like the colors (blue & gold) much better. The people on my dock do as well and the boat seems much happier!

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Sunday 20th of November 2011 10:06:01 AM

Attachments

• img_2107.jpg
    img_2107.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 186
  • stern.jpg
    stern.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 219
I changed our name first thing.* I hated the name from the PO.* All you need to do is eradicate the name from all the logs (or just get rid of the old logs and start your own), and eradicate the name from any name plates etc.* Once the old name no longer appears on the outside or on the inside or in any of the logs inside the vessel, then you can go ahead and register her under the new name.* No bad luck here!

What? No rituals? No friends? No drinking? No virgins? You guys are missing all the fun!

I might rename my boat just for the fun of it!!

FlyWright, there was drinking and there were friends all right!* And we even poured some rum and champaign into the water to appease the Gods.* We just didn't make a big deal about it.* Just another night if you know what I mean.* Around here, we try to apease the Gods every night.

And Virgins?* Where do you find one of them?*

-- Edited by Egregious on Sunday 20th of November 2011 09:58:31 PM

Talk about bad luck, my brother rebuilt a wooden sailboat many moons ago. During the process he lifted the mast to refinish and repair and found a silver dollar from the 30's. He took it......Maiden voyage the boat almost sunk because the cotton stuffing dried out and when on a sail water was pouring in and there long hair clogged the bilge. Oh yea they changed the name too. To Sea Witch.....Bad luck, Yea

Ceremony for Renaming Your Boat By Capt. Pat

*Everyone knows that renaming your boat will bring nothing but bad luck and make your boating experience something that you will want to forget. But what happens when, after months of searching, you find your dreamboat with a name that you just cannot live with. For example, my first love was a 28-foot Alden with the most beautiful lines Id ever seen. She was named Perfidious. How could anything this graceful be named betrayer of trust? Well, I never bought her, but I often thought that if I had, I would have renamed her Magic, after my wife. Renaming a boat is, of course, not something to be done lightly. Since the beginning of time, sailors have sworn that there are unlucky ships and the unluckiest ships of all are those who have defied the gods and changed their names. So, is there a way to change a name and not incur the wrath of those deities that rule the elements? Yes, Virginia, there is. According to legend, each and every vessel is recorded by name in the Ledger of the Deep and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. It is logical therefore, if we wish to change the name of our boat, the first thing we must do is to purge its name from the Ledger of the Deep and from Poseidons memory. This is an involved process beginning with the removal or obliteration of every trace of the boats current identity. This is essential and must be done thoroughly. I once went through the ceremony after the owner had assured me that every reference to his boats old name had been purged from her. A couple of weeks later, he discovered he had missed a faded name on her floating key chain. I advised him to start over, perhaps with a little extra libation for the ruler of the sea. Unfortunately, he declined. Since then, his boat has been struck by lightning, had its engine ruined by the ingress of the sea, been damaged by collision and finally sunk! It pays to be thorough. In purging your boat, it is acceptable to use White-Out or some similar obliterating fluid to expunge the boats name from log books, engine and maintenance records etc., but it is much easier to simply remove the offending document from the boat and start afresh. Dont forget the life rings and especially the transom and forward name boards. Do not under any circumstances carry aboard any item bearing your boats new name until the purging and renaming ceremonies have been completed! Once you are certain every reference to her old name has been removed from her, all that is left to do is to prepare a metal tag with the old name written on it in water-soluble ink. You will also need a bottle of reasonably good Champagne. Plain old sparkling wine wont cut it. Since this is an auspicious occasion, it is a good time to invite your friends to witness and to party. Begin by invoking the name of the ruler of the deep as follows: Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to expunge for all time from your records and recollection the name (here insert the old name of your vessel) which has ceased to be an entity in your kingdom. As proof thereof, we submit this ingot bearing her name to be corrupted through your powers and forever be purged from the sea. (At this point, the prepared metal tag is dropped from the bow of the boat into the sea.) In grateful acknowledgment of your munificence and dispensation, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (Pour at least half of the bottle of Champagne into the sea from East to West. The remainder may be passed among your guests.) It is usual for the renaming ceremony to be conducted immediately following the purging ceremony, although it may be done at any time after the purging ceremony. For this portion of the proceedings, you will need more Champagne, Much more because you have a few more gods to appease. Begin the renaming by again calling Poseidon as follows: Oh mighty and great ruler of the seas and oceans, to whom all ships and we who venture upon your vast domain are required to pay homage, implore you in your graciousness to take unto your records and recollection this worthy vessel hereafter and for all time known as (Here insert the new name you have chosen), guarding her with your mighty arm and trident and ensuring her of safe and rapid passage throughout her journeys within your realm. In appreciation of your munificence, dispensation and in honor of your greatness, we offer these libations to your majesty and your court. (At this point, one bottle of Champagne, less one glass for the master and one glass for the mate are poured into the sea from West to East.) The next step in the renaming ceremony is to appease the gods of the winds. This will assure you of fair winds and smooth seas. Because the four winds are brothers, it is permissible to invoke them all at the same time, however, during the ceremony; you must address each by name. Begin in this manner: Oh mighty rulers of the winds, through whose power our frail vessels traverse the wild and faceless deep, we implore you to grant this worthy vessel (Insert your boats new name) the benefits and pleasures of your bounty, ensuring us of your gentle ministration according to our needs. (Facing north, pour a generous libation of Champagne into a Champagne flute and fling to the North as you intone:) Great Boreas, exalted ruler of the North Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your frigid breath. (Facing west, pour the same amount of Champagne and fling to the West while intoning:) Great Zephyrus, exalted ruler of the West Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your wild breath. (Facing east, repeat and fling to the East.) Great Eurus, exalted ruler of the East Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your mighty breath. (Facing south, repeat, flinging to the South.) Great Notus, exalted ruler of the South Wind, grant us permission to use your mighty powers in the pursuit of our lawful endeavors, ever sparing us the overwhelming scourge of your scalding breath. Of course, any champagne remaining will be the beginnings of a suitable celebration in honor of the occasion. Once the ceremony has been completed, you may bring aboard any and all items bearing the new name of your vessel. If you must schedule the painting of the new name on the transom before the ceremony, be sure the name is not revealed before the ceremony is finished. It may be covered with bunting or some other suitable material.

<table border="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td align="center">Vigor's Denaming Ceremony</td></tr><tr><td align="center">"In the name of all who have sailed aboard this ship in the past, and in the name of all who may sail aboard her in the future, we invoke the ancient gods of the wind and the sea to favor us with their blessing today.
"Mighty Neptune, king of all that moves in or on the waves; and mighty Aeolus (pronounced EE-oh-lus), guardian of the winds and all that blows before them:
"We offer you our thanks for the protection you have afforded this vessel in the past. We voice our gratitude that she has always found shelter from tempest and storm and enjoyed safe passage to port.
"Now, wherefore, we submit this supplication, that the name whereby this vessel has hitherto been known (_____), be struck and removed from your records.
"Further, we ask that when she is again presented for blessing with another name, she shall be recognized and shall be accorded once again the selfsame privileges she previously enjoyed.
"In return for which, we rededicate this vessel to your domain in full knowledge that she shall be subject as always to the immutable laws of the gods of the wind and the sea.
"In consequence whereof, and in good faith, we seal this pact with a libation offered according to the hallowed ritual of the sea."</td></tr></tbody></table>
<a>CLICK HERE</a> for Printable Page of Vigor's Denaming Ceremony
<table style="width:80%;" border="1" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td align="center"><table style="width:80%;" border="0" cellpadding="5"><tbody><tr><td align="center">Christening Ceremony</td></tr><tr><td align="center">After a boat is denamed, you simply need to rename it using the traditional christening ceremony, preferably with Queen Elizabeth breaking a bottle of champagne on the bow, and saying the words:
"I name this ship ___________ and may she bring fair winds and good fortune to all who sail on her."
</td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr></tbody></table>

Egregious wrote:
*we even poured some rum and champaign into the water to appease the Gods.*
*Do you think the god's would mind if I strained it through my kidneys first?

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom