Finally

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wyoboater

Vessel Name
In Disguise
Vessel Make
1985 Mainship 40 DC
Good morning folk! I've had my 40' Mainship and been a member of this forum for quite awhile....but here's the FINALLY part: I've now retired and can spend time working on the boat. A little history for you, my port Perkins had the audacity to throw a rod through the block last time we took the boat out (about 2 years ago). It took us that long to arrange to pull the engine, repair the block, rebuild the engine etc etc etc. Now all that is completed and we're scheduling the reinstall. Hopefully that will all be completed and sea trialed by July (I've found that any type of marine technicians work on their own schedule..ya just don't push them, lol). Anyway in the next week I'm going to list then prioritize all of my projects. Once that is complete, I'm sure I'll be picking your collective brain power. I've seen a lot of good info on this forum, as well as some "what?" info. Any way, it should be an adventure. Thanks in advance for your help!

Wyoboater,
Fantastic. Glad you are to the 'reassemble in the reverse order', stage. I hope everything goes smoothly and quickly.
I agree with your observation about 'marine technicians'. There are times I have waited almost a year for their arrival. Of course, the problems did not affect the safety nor the ability to leave the dock.

Last edited:
What???

200w.gif

Good luck with the installation. Hope it goes well for you.

Good Luck

Also take some pics of the install to share with us

Thanks for the well wishes....I'll take some pics of the install and now that you mention it, I'll post some pics of the pull out, thanks for the idea...

Port Engine removal pics

Here ya go....hard to tell in the pics but there is 1/2 inch clearance on either side in the doorway. The pic that looks just like a rusted block in the hole the piston rod left...putting it back should be even more fun!

Attachments

• I think it will fit.jpg
    I think it will fit.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 128
  • Engine dangling.jpg
    Engine dangling.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 133
  • Engine hole in left side.jpg
    Engine hole in left side.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 131
  • Engine out 1.jpg
    Engine out 1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 127
  • Engine out 2.jpg
    Engine out 2.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 129
Geez! What project! Wow. Good luck. I am crossing my fingers to never ba a pat of that kind of project!

Thanks for the pics!

It's back in the boat!

Well, here ya go....8 months after the removal, we've put it back! Still have to reassemble all of the peripherals we removed to get it through the door ie: intake manifold, coolers, etc etc....but it's in the boat and bolted down. MAN has this been an ordeal! Don't want to take everyone's time with the entire ordeal, but I will if there is any interest. I do know y'all like pics, so here ya go.

Oh yeah, at least we no longer have a starboard list!

Attachments

• Engine reinstall 1 08-1-2018.jpg
    Engine reinstall 1 08-1-2018.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Engine reinstall 2 08-01-2018.jpg
    Engine reinstall 2 08-01-2018.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Engine reinstall 3 08-01-2018.jpg
    Engine reinstall 3 08-01-2018.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 91
  • Engine reinstall 4 08-01-2018.jpg
    Engine reinstall 4 08-01-2018.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 81
I realize I posted all of this in the wrong category. If one of you fine moderators would care to move the entire thread to the proper maintenance category, I'd appreciate it....

Sorry

The answer is always yes to more pictures.

Moved Kevin. Man what a project! Well done mate!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom