View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 02:59 PM   #8
caltexflanc
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYTraveler View Post
When I spec'd my boat for construction, I gave consideration to a 24v system since the size of the boat, especially with the tower, lots of long runs were inevitable. The builder talked me out of it since the boat is intended to travel to distant places where 24v parts are harder to come by. So, I went with 12v without regrets.
That's interesting. I'd think the same would apply to Nordhavn and Fleming boats, yet they are 24 volt OEM these days, with 12v available through converters for 12v equipment. Just to name two "designed for distant places..."

Most larger boats these days are 24v. By the way you can get 24v chargers that accept 120 as well as 240. I think you will also find that 240 is very common as well. I had a boat that had 240 and 120 and that wasn't complex to manage; the builder laid out the panels quite nicely. 240 was so much nicer for AC, pumps, and of course the all electric kitchen! And I like the idea of fewer amperes running around.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote