View Single Post
Old 05-19-2018, 05:24 AM   #16
Cigatoo
Guru

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic #715
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamup View Post
Thank you all for your responses. To answer a question a few asked- The turbo failed because of corrosion experienced after an exhaust problem late last season that was repaired. (David you nailed it)! I spoke with Turbo Solutions and OMG what great people and very knowledgable. After the input from TF members and speaking with others I decided to go with the OEM turbo from my mechanic. It certainly isn't the cheapest solution, but the savings I'd realize from other options is <1K and I feel better about an OEM vs. reman.
You need to solve the salt water intrusion issue or you will ruin another turbo. Probably needs the exhaust elbow (s) reconfigured. To my knowledge Mainship was known for not having enough height in their exhaust risers. (Yanmar wants 13” of height from waterline to the spill over point in the riser minimum) At minimum I would add a rubber exhaust flap to the exhaust outlet.

My Yanmar turbo was roughly the same price as yours. Yanmar sources their turbos through several OEM’s. A good turbo shop will cross reference and save you 5 or 6 hundred and you will get the correct turbo. Best to do this or stay with Yanmar. Cheap turbos scare me.
Cigatoo is offline   Reply With Quote