How do you entertain yourself underway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delfin

Grand Vizier
The Admiral and I tend to be podcast junkies and like to use the time underway for hours listening and hopefully learning. I'm curious what other Forumites do while cruising along, keeping watch or just gazing out the window.

One of our favorites are the podcasts published by John Batchelor out of New York. He has really good book interviews, discussions of politics, geo-politics, as well as science, all between 7 and 20 minutes long so easily digestible. If there is something happening in the world, you will find an adult and interesting discussion about it by experts. He updates the list daily, and Lord knows how he manages to keep up with this, but it is one of our favorites, located here:

The John Batchelor Show

For an example of his stuff is this analysis from Richard Epstein, a professor who teaches at U of Chicago and NYU on the withdrawal from the Iran deal:

https://audioboom.com/posts/6859364-trump-does-right-and-jettisons-the-failed-jcpoa-richardaepstein

So, are there other sources of information and learning others use? If so, perhaps share.

I just like to pilot the boat. We don't have autopilot, and I prefer reading paper charts. "entertainment" is boat watching. Wife reads or gazes at scenery.

I have used audio tapes at night - this is all open water and I usually can't see a thing but I am on constant watch looking at the radar, AIS, out the windshield and side doors (the top halfs of which are open).

During the day in open water I am willing to read.

Our open water travels were such that we usually saw at most one other boat in an hour.

In the ICW it was totally different. Constant lookout for boat, day markers and shallow water.

We’ll read on passages. We have a pretty extensive Kindle library. I like the Paperwhite model and the ability to adjust the brightness. I also use a kitchen timer so I don’t get too engrossed day or night.

When underway, whoever has the helm is absorbed in piloting the boat, looking around, observing the water and nature, open water or in shore. Maybe some music in the background, satellite radio is great for that. Off helm, me: napping, ER checks, looking around, observing the water and nature, keeping a lookout, miscellaneous such as reading about where we are or where we are going. ; Ann: mostly reading or enjoying the ride, keeping a lookout in busy areas, cooking something delicious.

In open water, there is plenty of relaxing time as we often don't see another boat all day. We do a lot of reading, both fiction & non-fiction. I enjoy fishing and often have a tuna lure trolling behind the boat. My wife often listens to learn-a-new-language tapes, and practices on me. Sometimes we play cards or backgammon.

We listen to music or talk.

Politics is the last thing I want to hear while on the boat.

Daytime: Looking out the window.

Night Crossings: Looking out the window while listening to the comedy channels on Siruis XM.

Greetings,
Mr. 007. Just out of curiosity, how does politics enter into the entertainment scene other than the obvious answer?

Greetings,
Mr. 007. Just out of curiosity, how does politics enter into the entertainment scene other than the obvious answer?

RT,

With all due respect, did you miss what the OP is listening to? I would call any mention of our president and the Iran deal political.

RT,

With all due respect, did you miss what the OP is listening to? I would call any mention of our president and the Iran deal political.

Perhaps a poor choice of content example for those uninterested in nuclear proliferation or current events. Today, there are also podcasts on his site on the history of the sea and civilization, why NASA doesn't use disposable boosters, Teddy Roosevelt's early days as police commissioner of NY City, etc. But the question was what do you do on long cruises to entertain yourself. Thanks for your answer.

Last edited:
In open water, there is plenty of relaxing time as we often don't see another boat all day. We do a lot of reading, both fiction & non-fiction. I enjoy fishing and often have a tuna lure trolling behind the boat. My wife often listens to learn-a-new-language tapes, and practices on me. Sometimes we play cards or backgammon.

The learn a language course is a splendid idea.

When at the helm, concentrate on the water ahead, the instruments, and conversation or music to entertain.

When not at the helm, television, music, internet, reading, and lot's of conversation, plus fun activities together.

Greetings,
Mr. 007. Ah...Nope. OP is on my ignore list but I agree with your view that politics is the last thing I want to hear about while aboard.

While cruising on our river we watch the scenery, birds and other boats, talk and have a glass of wine (when on the right side of the province border), this is what makes our pleasure to cruise. Rarely listening to music while cruising, the silence of the engine running is our music :)

L

For me, Piloting, studying the instruments, watching the scenery and listening to music via XMradio.

For my wife, reading and napping. ;^)

Generally listen to music. Have a Nook reader when in open water. also have SSB and play around with that to see who is on and where they are. I never broadcast on the SSB (not yet anyway)

When at the helm, concentrate on the water ahead, the instruments, and conversation or music to entertain.

When not at the helm, television, music, internet, reading, and lot's of conversation, plus fun activities together.
\\\

Far too much information thanks:eek:

Greetings,
Mr. 007. Ah...Nope. OP is on my ignore list but I agree with your view that politics is the last thing I want to hear about while aboard.
+1

Leaving Mangrove and heading towards the gulf stream last week.

Attachments

• IMG_20180505_115238 (960x540).jpg
    IMG_20180505_115238 (960x540).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 87
Satellite radio for me. If my crew is awake (not often when in transit) then the conversation is good.

Our "passages" are usually runs to the dive/fishing spots off georgia's coast so when we're running is either really early or after a long day on the water and one or two people are sleeping while one or two people hand-steer (no auto pilot). Rarely more than 4 people onboard really. ... Conversation, looking for boats/nature, and a couple rods out the back make up the bulk of the entertainment otherwise. These are only ~5 hours each way, max.

Avoiding floating trees and flotsam as well as kayaks, sailboats, and such, as well as freighters and tugs with barges, and observing birds, seals and dolphins, and staying within channels. Keeps me busy on the boat underway. At dock/anchor, spend the time snoozing, eating/drinking, reading or conversing with anyone onboard. Some like to absorb cosmic rays, but I try to keep that under 20 minutes.

Attachments

• raccoon strait south.jpg
    raccoon strait south.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
My trips are usually 3+ days, running 24x7 with 6 other fisherman. And at night, there are always two people at the helm. During the day, we are always trolling, if not stopped on fish. Trolling has an element of excitement, since you never know when a knock down will occur. And if it has been a while since a knockdown, it is always good to reel in the lines (usually 4 - 6) and make sure they are not fouled, and perhaps switch lures, or at least adjust their positioning. Or, one can go into the tower (eyeballs are about 35' above water level, so the view is amazing -- that is high enough to discern the curvature of the earth). Using the stabilized binos to look for paddies, etc., and redirect the boat's course to intercept, is always interesting and challenging. Plus the tower has its own sound zone, so it is easy to rock out to favorite tunes.

While at the helm, I keep myself interested by playing around with instruments. Scanning sonar is always fun, as is SSB/Ham. And there is plenty of time to send/receive sail mail or Ham mail, though the process can be a little frustrating.

We tend to eat well -- nice cuts of meat barbequed or rotisseried. And there is a Beni Hana table.

In general, I read alot, but on the boat I fall asleep quickly if I try to read. But a nap is always good.

Depending on the crew, we usually have an ongoing poker game, so whenever there is a critical mass that will chew up a few hours (especially at night, since we can't really fish then).

And, there is usually something that needs fixing. That can be fun and gives a sense of accomplishment while underway.

All in all, never a dull moment.

On passage I have phone in pocket and headphones on listening to music.
It also has a countdown timer set for 15 minutes to wake me if nodding off.
Check gauges, look around, back to music.
Every hour walk around for visual check and look in ER.

3 hours later hand over.

Grateful Dead channel on Sirius XM or internet radio by day: a 3 1/2 hour complete concert makes a nice compliment to a day's cruise or boat work. Whatever is good on Hulu, Acorn, Netflix, Prime, etc. or what our DVR recorded in the past week or so, by night.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom