Mainship Gelcoat color "Cream?"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dougcole

Guru
Vessel Name
Morgan
Vessel Make
'05 Mainship 40T
Hi All,

I need to repair a few small screw holes in my gelcoat. Our boat, a 2005 mainship 400, is the cream color, not the white. I think, though I'm not sure, that the same color was used for the topsides of the blue hulls from our time period.

Does anyone know the color name that mainship used? Is it antique white? Like this:

PATCH PASTE KIT

Thanks,
Doug

After 13 years you gel coat wont look anything like whats in the new pot.

Understood. But it's a good starting spot and this area may not be very far off as it is on the FB and has always been undercover with very little sun exposure. Heck, it's never been waxed or buffed and it's still super shiny.

I used the antique white Mainship color listed on the spectrum site. My gelcoat has been maintained properly and match was pretty much perfect. I have a 2006 400 T

If you need to mix colors to get closer one trick that I've found helps is to get a few of the old fashioned overhead transparencies (mylar?) and mix on that right on the gelcoat you are trying to match.
Much easier to see if it matches or not.
If you need to exclude air a small piece of mylar hinged w masking tape also works well...
Apply gelcoat level off and press the mylar film into the wet patch and tape down. It releases when dry and leaves a smoooth finish.

If you need to mix colors to get closer one trick that I've found helps is to get a few of the old fashioned overhead transparencies (mylar?) and mix on that right on the gelcoat you are trying to match.
Much easier to see if it matches or not.
If you need to exclude air a small piece of mylar hinged w masking tape also works well...
Apply gelcoat level off and press the mylar film into the wet patch and tape down. It releases when dry and leaves a smoooth finish.

Great tip!

That is a great tip, Don. Where can I get mylar film?

That is a great tip, Don. Where can I get mylar film?

I have some old transparencies I saved but they are quite old school

haven't bought any lately -

Google - Amazon looks like they are now used to cut stencils
You might try a hobby store??

Does anyone have a good URL to that PATCH PASTE link? I need to get some Mainship cream/beige/antique white gelcoat repair for our 2001 Pilot 30 Rum Runner.

I checked with the gelcoat supplier, and the 2005 Mainship color was antique white.

Back
Top Bottom