It must have a name...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobc

Vessel Name
Note by Note
Vessel Make
34 DeFever
This summer I realized that I didn't know the nautical name for the conduit/pipe/tube that runs from the lower helm to the flybridge.* You know, the tube that's stuff full of wires and steering cables.** Imagine my surpise when I asked the manager at a reputable boat yard what it's called, and he didn't have a name for it either.

It must have a name.* If it doesn't, what should we call it?

Short of a true nautical term, I call it a wire chase.

The terms used by the shipwrights on the Grand Banks owners forum are "cableway," "cable tube," and "steering tube." The GB owners manual describes the steering system but does not give a name to the tube itself.

Marin wrote:
The terms used by the shipwrights on the Grand Banks owners forum are "cableway," "cable tube," and "steering tube." The GB owners manual describes the steering system but does not give a name to the tube itself.
*"Cableway" isn't too bad, though it seems a bit generic, like "line".** I guess I was hoping for something a bit more salty like "hawse pipe" and "scuppers".*

Got no flybridge, but my guess is that the "cable chase" to the mast is plenty big.

Attachments

• cable chase.jpg
    cable chase.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 66
markpierce wrote:
Got no flybridge, but my guess is that the "cable chase" to the mast is plenty big.
*Mark:* Wait till you have to pull a cable that has a connector on it.* They are never "plenty" big.*
laughing.gif

Larry, unfortunately,*I'd bet you're correct.

Back
Top Bottom