She says "size doesn't matter"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

otis maximus

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Otis Maximus
Vessel Make
Seasport Navigator
The wife's telling me size doesn't matter, I guess that's why we're still married. Get your minds out of the gutter I'm talking about boats! The plan is to eventually do Americas Great Loop. Not all at once, we have grandchildren (beautiful grandchildren) so probably in increments.

I'm looking at a 28' Pelagic cruiser this weekend in Comox, Vancouver BC, looks like it's in better than good shape with 1000 hours on an Isuzu diesel, 1.5 gallons at 7 knots. can sleep four, fly bridge, head, shower yada yada yada.

We've had other boats 27' gaff sailboat, 35' yawl built in 1911, 1962 Islander 32 and currently moved up to power and have a (gas sucking)27' Sea Sport Navigator with fly bridge, twin 4.3s etc... I love the boat and the maneuverability.

The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantages cruising in a 28 footer?

Depends on the accommodations. Can you describe the boat in detail? Aren't many Pelagics day-fishing boats? Did you edit your original post?

Depends on the accommodations. Can you describe the boat in detail? Aren't many Pelagics day-fishing boats? Did you edit your original post?

You can see the boat on Comox BC Canada. Looks like a small trawler. Aft cabin has twin bed port side, storage locker, head with shower on the other. Forward into small galley with stove, sink and ice box to port, settee to starboard. V berth up front. Fly bridge up top small aft cockpit. Yeah never heard of Pelagic till now.

Size has absolutely nothing to do with it, except you’ll have to be forward thinking about weather and be willing to explore ashore (when the wind is up) a bit more than owners of larger boats.

Some people get confused about what they need and what they think they can’t live without...

Last edited:
Otis, I'd be more comfortable in a mid-30-foot boat, but it is up to you what fits your needs. Small has many advantages, particularly if one isn't operating extensively in large open waters. Except for my tall mast, I would consider my boat to be nearly ideal for the loop except for lacking air conditioning and heat (builder options declined because of benign climate here).

Last edited:
Size has absolutely nothing to do with it, except you’ll have to be forward thinking about weather and be willing to explore ashore (when the wind is up) a bit more than owners of larger boats.

Some people get confused about what they need and what they think they can’t live without...

I'd think exploring ashore would be the most rewarding part of the adventure.

The wife's telling me size doesn't matter, I guess that's why we're still married. Get your minds out of the gutter I'm talking about boats! The plan is to eventually do Americas Great Loop. Not all at once, we have grandchildren (beautiful grandchildren) so probably in increments.

I'm looking at a 28' Pelagic cruiser this weekend in Comox, Vancouver BC, looks like it's in better than good shape with 1000 hours on an Isuzu diesel, 1.5 gallons at 7 knots. can sleep four, fly bridge, head, shower yada yada yada.

We've had other boats 27' gaff sailboat, 35' yawl built in 1911, 1962 Islander 32 and currently moved up to power and have a (gas sucking)27' Sea Sport Navigator with fly bridge, twin 4.3s etc... I love the boat and the maneuverability.

The question I have is what are the advantages and disadvantages cruising in a 28 footer?

Some may tell you size doesn't matter, and that may be true for them. Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy.

I looped last year and will tell you there is a bell curve for Loop boats. Saw a small number under 30'. Saw a small number over 50'. The majority fell in the 35 to 45' size.

Met a very nice couple doing it in a Ranger Tug. The boat is well designed with optimal use of space. The couple was also well organized. Saw another couple doing it in a Sea Dory. It reminded me of camping while hiking.

The Loop is a long trip, even if you break it up into segments. There is a big difference for most people in what you will tolerate on vacation for a couple of weeks versus several months or more. My advice to you would be to borrow a 15' travel trailer, park it in the backyard for a couple months and try living in it full time. If you plan to have friends or family join you on the Loop, have them spend a long weekend with you in the travel trailer.

As to advantages and disadvantages. A small boat should cost less to buy and loop with. However, you may find yourself spending more money on overnights in marinas due to less storage, water capacity and holding tank capacity. You will loose more travel days due to weather. What you can bring with you will be less, and may require hard choices. Bicycles, kayaks, and a dinghy may not all fit on a 28' boat, maybe none will. Does the boat have a generator, or does heat and air conditioning require being tied to a dock?

Lots to think about and choices to make.

Ted

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks and keep it coming these are exactly the things I need to be thinking about. I don't want to get caught up in the "tiny homes" fad, but I do find myself thinking less is more. I'm starting to purge all the sh!t that I've collected through the years. I live in a two story house but never go up stairs. Have four vehicles but only drive one it goes on and on.

I did live on my Sea Sport last year in eastern Washington. Survived the winter of 2016 when the boat was frozen in and the temps were in the teens for a month or two and then the summer when it was above 100. So I have some idea about extremes. (but I did go home on weekends)

We're probably 50/50 on staying on the boat and then venturing off, so it's not like we're confined to staying on the boat at all times.

Some may tell you size doesn't matter, and that may be true for them. Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy.

I looped last year and will tell you there is a bell curve for Loop boats. Saw a small number under 30'. Saw a small number over 50'. The majority fell in the 35 to 45' size.

Met a very nice couple doing it in a Ranger Tug. The boat is well designed with optimal use of space. The couple was also well organized. Saw another couple doing it in a Sea Dory. It reminded me of camping while hiking.

The Loop is a long trip, even if you break it up into segments. There is a big difference for most people in what you will tolerate on vacation for a couple of weeks versus several months or more. My advice to you would be to borrow a 15' travel trailer, park it in the backyard for a couple months and try living in it full time. If you plan to have friends or family join you on the Loop, have them spend a long weekend with you in the travel trailer.

As to advantages and disadvantages. A small boat should cost less to buy and loop with. However, you may find yourself spending more money on overnights in marinas do to less storage, water capacity and holding tank capacity. You will loose more travel days do to weather. What you can bring with you will be less, and may require hard choices. Bicycles, kayaks, and a dinghy may not all fit on a 28' boat, maybe none will. Does the boat have a generator, or does heat and air conditioning require being tied to a dock?

Lots to think about and choices to make.

Ted
The reality is also that some people like all inclusive resorts and some like more real experiences. Some like to be living on floating castles with all amenities and some like more authentic simple life.
Some people are loving their 65 palace and some like to go with kayak and camping.
Reality is what do you expect from your live aboard?
Don't misunderstand me I am not bashing on people going big, just that I realised these 2 past years that well, more space you have more space you need, all depend on what you like, what you want,what you expect...

L

The reality is also that some people like all inclusive resorts and some like more real experiences. Some like to be living on floating castles with all amenities and some like more authentic simple life.

L

Wifey B: There is nothing more real or authentic about either of those. They're different. All inclusive resorts are very real, just not the real you prefer. Castles with amenities are authentic. Just don't fit what you prefer. Now most people prefer a combination of fancy with amenities and simple. People don't have to fit in one camp or the other. :)

If the boat is dry , has good bunks , a space for food prep and eating and a nice comfy place to sit and read for UGH type of days its big enough.

Remember although the 60 fters can handle rough weather , most do not bother , so you will be traveling the same sked as the larger craft.

You can venture to many places anchorages denied the biggies due to draft.

Any grand kids can sleep on the cabin sole , air bed , part of their Adventure ,

Oh, I don't know about that...just because you didn't see one doesn't mean the loop hasn't been done by very small craft.

Where you see limitations, discomfort, and danger, others see adventure. How about a 23 month, 12,100 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg, Canada, to the mouth of the Amazon?

The experience of a journey is completely dependant upon the method of travel.

We've sea kayaked for months at a time, and liken it to hiking or traveling by bicycle where you feel every breath of wind, notice the smallest details as they go by, and you physically work to earn your goal. Traveling by boat is a lot like traveling by motorhome.

I'll ask you this; two people travel the length of the Rocky Mountains, one by motorhome and one by hiking...which experience has more depth?

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know about that...just because you didn't see one doesn't mean the loop hasn't been done by very small craft.

Where you see limitations, discomfort, and danger, others see adventure. How about a 23 month, 12,100 mile canoe trip from Winnipeg, Canada, to the mouth of the Amazon?

The experience of a journey is completely dependant upon the method of travel.

We've sea kayaked for months at a time, and liken it to hiking or traveling by bicycle where you feel every breath of wind, notice the smallest details as they go by, and you physically work to earn your goal. Traveling by boat is a lot like traveling by motorhome.

I'll ask you this; two people travel the length of the Rocky Mountains, one by motorhome and one by hiking...which experience has more depth?

What does depth mean? If the hiker spends all of her time with her head down trudging along in an elevated aerobic state vs the motor home traveler who stops for days to savor the places that the hiker passes through on her way to the days goal, which experience has the most depth? Just because you travel in a motorhome it does not mean you cannot hike in exactly the same places.

What does depth mean? If the hiker spends all of her time with her head down trudging along in an elevated aerobic state vs the motor home traveler who stops for days to savor the places that the hiker passes through on her way to the days goal, which experience has the most depth? Just because you travel in a motorhome it does not mean you cannot hike in exactly the same places.

Wifey B: "Depth" means the same as "real" and "authentic" above. It's someone attempting to insert a word to make their way of doing things somehow make them feel or look superior. :rolleyes:

Guess we had a more real, authentic, deep trip to Battery Park to catch the boat to the Statue of Liberty this morning because we walked there instead of taking a bus or train. But then our trip to the Statue wasn't deep at all as we took the cruise instead of diving in and trying to swim there. :whistling:

"Truth is size does matter as you won't see anyone doing the Loop in an 8' dinghy."

It was not uncommon for 15 ft outboards to run much of the loop in the 1950's.

No big deal till you remember most went UP the Mississippi.

A 23+ ft I-O could do a great job for a couple.

Maybe $5,000 for the boat and trailer , whats to loose?

Wifey B: "Depth" means the same as "real" and "authentic" above. It's someone attempting to insert a word to make their way of doing things somehow make them feel or look superior. :rolleyes:

Guess we had a more real, authentic, deep trip to Battery Park to catch the boat to the Statue of Liberty this morning because we walked there instead of taking a bus or train. But then our trip to the Statue wasn't deep at all as we took the cruise instead of diving in and trying to swim there. :whistling:

I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...

Last edited:
I guess you'll never really know what I'm getting at until you go on a long, self propelled expedition/journey of your own...

Wifey B: Then guess I should come here and brag about how it makes me better than others. :ermm:

Ever consider that you have no idea what kind of journeys others may have been on? :nonono:

Wifey B: Then guess I should come here and brag about how it makes me better than others. :ermm:

Ever consider that you have no idea what kind of journeys others may have been on? :nonono:

I don't jump on your pronouncements. Why so sensitive?

I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?

Last edited:
I don't jump on your pronouncements. Why so sensitive?

Wifey B: Not so much sensitive as just think the attitudes that if one does things one way vs another then their way is so superior is total BS. :rofl:

I'll try again.

One person does a free solo climb of El Capitan, and another flies to the top in a helicopter. Which person walks away with the richer experience?

Wifey B: None of us can judge how rich the experience of another is. Pick one set of two people vs another set and it may be much different. Someone could accomplish something that most of us would consider incredible and not really appreciate what was there. Sometimes the one who does something doesn't even feel the uniqueness or how incredible their activities were.

Think of some of the most amazing things you've done in your life. Did you appreciate them as much as that moment or perhaps when reflecting back on them later in life?

I met a fireman years ago who risked his life saving a mother and young child. In his perspective, he did nothing special, just did his job. Others saw it as such a special courageous act, even if it was his profession. The experience didn't hit him until the young girl he saved, 20 years later asked him to walk her down the aisle at her wedding. :cry:

I know people who live simple but extremely rich lives and they appreciate experiences in ways others of us don't.

To your example, sometimes one can see things better from a distance than they can up close. :)

I'm sure you've have a very rich life of adventure because you've done things your way and things that meant a lot to you. Others wouldn't have perhaps felt the same but get that same rich life doing things their way.

You guys crack me up. This thread is stating to remind me of last year when I simply asked how much tip I should give the kid who ties me up.

You guys crack me up. This thread is stating to remind me of last year when I simply asked how much tip I should give the kid who ties me up.

Wifey B: And how much tip have you been giving the kid? ;)

Wifey B: There is nothing more real or authentic about either of those. They're different. All inclusive resorts are very real, just not the real you prefer. Castles with amenities are authentic. Just don't fit what you prefer. Now most people prefer a combination of fancy with amenities and simple. People don't have to fit in one camp or the other. :)

You really need to get out more. There's nothing real about an all inclusive resort.
From the fake smile when you check in to the artificial waterfall in the courtyard, to the grass that will shrivel up and die when you turn the irrigation off.
You're certainly right about it not being preferable to a lot of people.
Real to some of us means when you take a deep breath you smell the scent of fir not perfume on a hot day, you get a rush from seeing a sow grizzly with cubs from your tent not the kids in the next RV, or you feel the sweat cooling all over your body after climbing to the top of a mountain not after sitting at the concrete pool ordering ice tea at your all inclusive resort on a hot day.

Really? You think an all inclusive resort is real?

I'll try again.

I get your point, but I would suggest that rather than "richer" maybe the two experiences are simply different.

I'll try again.

I guess it depends on how much you like helicopter rides.

Oh well, it was worth a try.

I'll never know how profound it is to carry a baby to term and give birth to it, so why should I expect some people to understand what happens to your level of awareness when traveling through wilderness under your own power for months at a time, if they've never done it.

Back on point...it can be done and enjoyed, on a small boat, by some people.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom