On our way to Alaska

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salish Nomad

Vessel Name
Salish Nomad
Vessel Make
American Tug 34
Beautiful day in Pender Harbour after a bumpy crossing of Georgia Strait.

Attachments

• DSCN1267.jpg
    DSCN1267.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 285
  • DSCN1268.jpg
    DSCN1268.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 296
The first leg (Pender to Nannimo) is a great relaxing cruise.
Try and stop at Monague Harbour. Enjoy
We always stay at the small harbour to the left of the fuel dock at Naniamo. Takes me back to the days I lived in the “West End” of Vancouver .. Robson St. in the 70’s and I can remember the address 1831. I love the urban continental cities in BC.

Last edited:
SloBoat Flotilla?

Bob, We are not actually part of the flotilla. Laura, and Kevin did a private cruising evaluation before we left Anacortes. We have encountered the group several times, and Laura, and Kevin helped with some tech issues when we met in Silva Bay. Great people!

At Blind Bay B.C.

Today we traveled from Squirrel Cove to Blind bay. The weather was windy with occasional rain showers. This was our first time thru Yaculta, Gillard, and Dent rapids. Small tides, so not many whirlies to contend with. Tomorrow will be Greene Point, then Whirlpool.

Dave,

You're right they a a great pair. Looks like a fun day for you. Safe travels.

Bob

Today we traveled from Squirrel Cove to Blind bay. The weather was windy with occasional rain showers. This was our first time thru Yaculta, Gillard, and Dent rapids. Small tides, so not many whirlies to contend with. Tomorrow will be Greene Point, then Whirlpool.

This should be "Blind Channel", not Blind Bay....We are in B.C., not Shaw Island WA. Must be getting old.

What's the recreational traffic situation? Many vessels headed north?

Thank you!

Blind Channel Resort dock

Lovely evening, the wind finally died.

Attachments

• DSCN1273.jpg
    DSCN1273.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 190
  • DSCN1274.jpg
    DSCN1274.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 191
  • DSCN1275.jpg
    DSCN1275.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 191

Thank you!

We know of two flotillas that are under way...Slowboat, and Waggoners. Other than that it seems to be a bit early for most folks, and we have found that many of the small B.C. marinas are not fully opened til mid May.

Thank you!

Seeadler is leaving Tacoma Tuesday, Vancouver the 25th, Ketchikan June 11th, Seward July 2nd.

share.garmin.com/williambutler3

I made the same trip in May a few years ago. Hit a desdheaf south of Port Hardy. Had the boat hauled there. Had to take prop to Port Cambell to straighten. Dead head was waterlogged 6" round post sized log barely bobbing vertical. Impossible to see. There were 3 other boats in the yard with similar or worse prop damage. It was a $1,500 stop and that was minimal damage.May is a month with lots of debris washing into the water. Keep a sharp look-out. I think the yard at Port Hardy is closed now.

Be sure to bring a crab pot. Excellent results in May before commercial pots are set.

Seeadler is leaving Tacoma Tuesday, Vancouver the 25th, Ketchikan June 11th, Seward July 2nd.

share.garmin.com/williambutler3

We are share.garmin.com/DavidThompson6

Btw I was friends with Ron Rawson back in the day. We had a 32 built as a crew boat at a camp near Sitka.

Last edited:
We have explored the Alaskan water for the last 20 years and we never get tired of its beauty. We are currently in Ketchikan and about to take off. We will keep an eye open for you and hopefully we can link up and share our favorite spots with you. Have a safe trip up.

We have explored the Alaskan water for the last 20 years and we never get tired of its beauty. We are currently in Ketchikan and about to take off. We will keep an eye open for you and hopefully we can link up and share our favorite spots with you. Have a safe trip up.

We will be spending quite a bit of time in Sitka, as we have a house, and car there. We intend to be there mid June. If that works for you, let us know. GB 36 is one of our favourites.

I like Kindergarten Cove, SE of snow pass. Coffman Cove is a nice stop, I've caught some amazing ling cod at Lewis Bay, NW side of Prince if Whales Island.

Sorry we are going to miss you, awaiting parts to be shipped to Ketchikan so decided to do the Behm for the 10 time. Will catch up to you in Sitka.

Oh how I know that Ketch hurry up and wait.......

Sorry we are going to miss you, awaiting parts to be shipped to Ketchikan so decided to do the Behm for the 10 time. Will catch up to you in Sitka.

Too funny..We just did Behm clockwise, now back in Ketchikan at Bar Harbor S.
Are you nearby?
We plan to depart Wednesday the 30th, for Edna Bay.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom