How to make your gas can better again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OldDan1943

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinja
Vessel Make
American Tug 34 #116 2008
I am sure many of us are fed up with the "do gooder's'' modification to the small spare gas cans for the outboard or diesel fuel to refill the filter housing after changing the filters, if necessary. We manage to spill gasoline into the dingy or the water or diesel into the bilge.

Here is something to consider. It returns the gas can to the pre-modification 'state'.

I use one on a spare gas can and one on a diesel can.

EZ-POUR Universal Fuel & Water Jug Spout

I have NO connection with the company.

I bought these on Amazon but had to ship to a non-California address. They cost about $15 each.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGVRXD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I am calling Gov. Jerry Brown on you. LOL
Did you sneak them into Calif, under cover of darkness?

The 'new and improved' spouts have always been a pain and confusing for me. I am glad I stumbled on these 'retro-spouts'. I am not sure how I found them but, I am glad. They even include an extension to the pour spout. With the extension, it looks a bit strange on a 1 gallon container but, works fine.

I have to wait until we get back to FL. Those stupid original spouts leak more gas on the ground than any old style spout!

I am calling Gov. Jerry Brown on you. LOL
Did you sneak them into Calif, under cover of darkness?

'Friends' smuggle them into CA from Tijuana and I get them from my friends in the CA State Benefits line. No tax, free delivery! Works well! :socool: :eek: :nonono:

:D

I went on their web site to look at the spouts and saw this. :rolleyes:

PLEASE
Certain spout products may not be purchased in some states. Please click on your state below to see spout products available in your area.

I went on their web site to look at the spouts and saw this. :rolleyes:

PLEASE
Certain spout products may not be purchased in some states. Please click on your state below to see spout products available in your area.

Exhibit A Reasons for having friends in other states. They are not under the same restrictions. :angel:

I am NOT encouraging anyone to break the law. :angel:

Those spouts may not have the same threads as on your jug/can.
I can’t swap and switch all of my gas jugs.

I have found Craigslist to be a good source for used gas cans. They're usually a buck or two and have the old style spout.

Those spouts may not have the same threads as on your jug/can.
I can’t swap and switch all of my gas jugs.

There are 2 new included 'collars' and they said, if the included 'collars' do not fit, use the original 'collar'.

My 1 gallon cans are from West Marine and I ended up using the original 'collar' to secure the spout to the can.

I bought these on Amazon but had to ship to a non-California address. They cost about $15 each.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DGVRXD2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm a huge fan of these things. I get them at Amazon too. Don't get me started about those stupid guaranteed-to-spill new-age spouts! Geez!

Anyway, my point is there are a few types. Around the house I use the one with the smaller, white spout.

For diesel to the boat, I think the one I use is like the one FlyWright posted. There are two spouts which thread together, and they're much larger diameter. Empties a 6-gallon can (yes, 6-gallon. Again, don't get me started!) into the tanks in no time. Frankly I don't have the endurance (or patience) to hold a gas can for the half-hour it takes for the fuel to dribble out of the new spouts.

Also, be sure to get the kit with multiple caps (see above) AND the little vent. Just drill the correct-size hole and pop it in. Otherwise you're back to gurgling and splashing like the original spout.

I got tired of trying to pour gas in to the boat while it was on the lift. Even with a good fitting spout on the can it was just a pain in the butt. Now I use one of these. it works great a sucks all most every drop out of the can with not a drop in to the boat or canal. Now I don't even worry about a spout just a good fitting cap.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPER-EASY-S...909539&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=super+siphon+3/4

I have had good luck with my 3/4 drill bit. So far it’s fixed all my fuel cans.

My new dingy came with a 10 gallon fuel tank but because of all the tank safety equipment you could only get 7 gallons in the tank. Still the manufacture advertised it as a 10 gallon fuel tank, Which it is even if 3 gallons are not usable. Now, after a few modifications you can get 9 gallons in.

Tilt. U either have a supply of tapered cork plugs or u dont allow smoking in ur garage[emoji848]

Thanks I just ordered a few !!!!!!!!!

There are a bunch of old style replacement nozzles for sale on Amazon and ebay that fit most new portable fuel cans.
Leave it to the EPA to establish a whole new line of business with their poorly thought out regulations. I often wonder if anyone there every had a real job.

I wish I could just use the 2.5 gallon gas can as the outboard fuel supply. I keep looking for a way to modify the fuel cap so I can plug a fuel line onto it, it would make life so much easier...

Just adding a vent makes all the difference in the world. Vents are available on eBay.

I switched all the spouts on my cans to the EZ Pour just before the last hurricane hit. It actually made it possible to refuel my truck from the cans.

Of course my Ford truck needs a special funnel to get that stupid little flap in the fuel fill to open.

I wish the government would stop caring about my safety so much.

Just adding a vent makes all the difference in the world. Vents are available on eBay.

I bought a pack of vents a few years ago, just drill a hole, size as directed, and push the vent in they work fine.

I bought a pack of vents a few years ago, just drill a hole, size as directed, and push the vent in they work fine.

Like this?

614EHRc92DL.jpg

https://smile.amazon.com/Yellow-Blitz-Scepter-Essence-Midwest/dp/B00Z3TQZJ8/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

The same, or very close, here are a couple installed on 5 gallon "cans".

Attachments

• Gas can vents.JPG
    Gas can vents.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 128

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom