MS 390 Bow Thruster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

suntansailor

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Au Naturel
Vessel Make
2000 Mainship 390 Trawler
Anyone know what model the factory installed of the Side-Power? Trying to not tear apart center island bed to get down there to see...I need to order replacement props and anodes. My boat is a 2000. Thanks for any help.

SM71190A Side-Power Aluminum Anode (SM51180A)
SM31180A Side-Power Aluminum Anode List Price: $10.00
Our Price: $8.80
PRODUCT SPECS

these are the anodes I use on my 2003 390. it is 8hp. not sure of the model but maybe Sidepower can tell by the anode #
John

Thanks John. I will inquire with SP on them. I always thought the bow thruster was a 7hp...I wonder if MS upgraded from 2000 to 2003 on the install.
Gordon

Seems like the model is SE100 12v 8.4hp from what I can interpret on the website. Have you upgraded the SP props from 4 blade to the newly designed 5 blade? I have read that they are interchangeable, but would like confirmation before I order any.

I think mine still has a 3 blade. I wonder if I can go to a 4 or 5 blade.

Where is the anode on the bowthruster? I must have missed that.

Replacing blades the expensive way

FWIW, we had to replace the entire gearbox after sucking a mooring line weight through it (at least I think that's what the other owner did). All the blades were gone and one side of the shaft was cracked.
Notwithstanding the parts list, individual shaft/gear wasn't available and we had to replace the entire gearbox.
Needless to say we had to haul the boat and spend over a boat unit.

Interestingly, the new gear head doesn't use an oil reservoir, and seems to be fine after a couple of years use.

Bow Thruster info update

On my 2000 MS 390, I spoke to Imtra, and finally got someone who knew about our brand.

In 2000 they installed as standard SP75 two 4 bladed 7.5 hp thrusters, which the manufacturer later updated to SE 85 (8.4hp). Also some first owner purchasers had installed more powerful upgrade thrusters when their boat was being built.

Imtra offers an upgrade kit 7-9999 that converts the 4 straight blade props to the new and improved 5 curved blade props. What a difference it makes in noise when operating, as well as what I think is superior sideways thrust.

The kit comes with 2 props, adapters, pins, washers...everything you need to upgrade. When my trawler was out of water doing the bottom, I installed the kit taking less than 30 mins to do. List price was a bit pricey at $320, but Defender had the kit for $215. Converting the touch pad controls to the toggle control was also money well spent, as it is much easier to use. (Imtra has a kit for our old style touch pad to convert using same hole for new toggle model.)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom