View Single Post
Old 05-07-2018, 09:36 AM   #35
FBoykin

City: Ft. Myers, FL
Vessel Name: Hannah Jane
Vessel Model: 2000 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Thought I'd update folks on my teak project. I used my 3 hatches (bow & 2 lazerette) for practice. I tried the Makita saw on the bow hatch and found that it was too tricky to use (messy & real easy to overcut or wander) and never used it again. After seeing the plow plane photo in this thread, I researched them - Stanley made standard size ones and there was an English palm size version (Record #043). I located both on Ebay. I also got some millimeter size hand chisels and tools from Teak Decking Systems (TDS) and did the lazarette hatches by hand with assistance from my Fein multi-tool.

Some of the hatch board tips were loose so I glued them back with West thickened epoxy, then cut out the caulk with a carpet knife and TDS reefing tool. I cut the grooves deeper with the Record plane and hand chisels. Sanded the grooves with the Fein tool and applied the caulk. I used bond breaker tape and masked the teak with 3M blue tape.

Believe me, I got WAY better as time went on. One photo shows the majority of the tools I'm using (since I have the rest of the deck to do). There's lot more details, but that's the big picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Gluing hatch board tips (West epoxy) (Small).jpg   Using Fein tool to sand teak grooves (Small).jpg   Caulking hatches using masking tape (Small).jpg   Aft hatches re-caulked (Small).jpg   Re-caulking project tools (Small).jpg  

FBoykin is offline   Reply With Quote