Westerbeke Rotary Aire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wally

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Summertime
Vessel Make
Kadey Krogen Manatee
We have a 10000 btu unit that runs perfectly for 23 minutes. It then shuts off and soon trips the 30 amp input breaker. If you let it set it will do the same thing all over again. I had an a-c technician look at it and he just said it was too old! It appears something heats up...compressor locks.....then trips the breaker. Anyone have this problem before if so how did you fix it. Don’t want to buy a new one unless I have to

Put a clamp-on ammeter on the feed and confirm breaker good or bad.

Or your raw water circuit could be fouled which lets the condenser temps rise too high and trips the system. Measure the exiting sea water temp. If ten degrees or more than inlet, then that is likely your problem.

Flush with Rydlime or Barnacle Buster to clean.

David

I back flushed my two units by removing the overboard discharge hose and flushing it backwards with hose water. The extra pressure forced out all sorts of silt that had accumulated over the years from the low volume cooling water pump. Nice strong streams of water from the pump now.

We have a 10000 btu unit that runs perfectly for 23 minutes. It then shuts off and soon trips the 30 amp input breaker. If you let it set it will do the same thing all over again. I had an a-c technician look at it and he just said it was too old! It appears something heats up...compressor locks.....then trips the breaker. Anyone have this problem before if so how did you fix it. Don’t want to buy a new one unless I have to

Check the compressor for failing capacitors, loose terminals at the power terminals on the shell, don't invite the same a-c tech back, "too old" = "I'm a lazy troubleshooter". Get an amprobe on the compressor leads, advice to clean condenser coil is spot on. Find a tech who can troubleshoot. In that trade, you frequently get whatcha pay for. Experience comes with a cost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom