Hauling a boat to NC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kokopelliTim

Vessel Name
boatless
So I might have a "great deal/opportunity" on a Prairie 29.

The problem is that it is in Brunswick, GA and I am in New Bern. NC (approx 550 miles on the water; 450 miles on the road).

I am considering getting her hauled up here by a truck. I would consider moving her on the water, but her engine is not right and I do not have time to go there and work on it.

So, having never considered hauling a trawler; what do I need to know?

1. Who are some good haulers on the east coast you might recommend?
2. How do I know they are "good" and will do a proper job?
3. How does the vessel need to be prepared?
4. Are there height restrictions that will prevent hauling? The boat is just less of 15' in height it seems.
5. What else do not need to know, wish I had known as I prepare to possibly do this?

Thanks for advice.

Tim

I know nothing about trucking a boat from Point A to Point B other than what I've read here which has convinced me that it's expensive and usually involves tearing the boat apart and putting it back together. You may be able to find those threads, but I don't have the best of luck with searching this site.

Owning a boat has its challenges, expenses, and (in my opinion) responsibilities. What's wrong with the engine, and what is preventing you from returning it to good working order? If you're unable to do that, for whatever reason, and deliver the boat to your home port on its own hull, I suggest that this may not be the boat for you. Have the whole boat and the engine surveyed, determine how much it'll cost in time and/or money to prepare the boat for the voyage, and decide if you're capable and willing to bear the expense.

Whatever path you decide to take, best of luck and be safe! Keep us posted.

What is wrong with the engine?
Is 15 ft keel to FB windscreen or is that bridge clearance in the water?
The boat will have enough things to fix without adding more from removing the FB.
If it were me I would find a trustworthy mechanic near the boat to get it running reliable then bring the boat home on its own bottom. With a big but if NO SEATRIAL. Did that once. Never again!

I would be guessing, but I assume it's the same Prairie 29 with the questionable engine that was driven hard north by a delivery captain?

I think triton moves boats and they are close to you. if you get it running plan for two weeks to get it home by water. it took me 5 days .should have been 4 but my planning was awful . 220 miles in December .the days are a lot longer now.

As noted above, talk to Paul at Triton Yachts in Oriental. He is a real pro. I have used him for two hauls from New England to Oriental and back.

The radar and spot light had to come off to keep the height down on the boat at the left, so I doubt that you can do it without removing the fly bridge.

Paul may be able to plan a route that will let him move 15'+ but that is more than can typically be moved.

Prep is minimal unless the fly bridge has to come off. Just tie down and pad anything inside that might shift.

If the fly bridge does have to come off, then I would pay the yard to fix the engine and move it up myself. I am guessing that without removing the flybridge, the haul will be about $3,000 but if the flybridge has to come off and back on, that will double the cost at least.

David

Last edited:
Thank you each for advice.

I am looking at ALL options: fixing engine, hauling....just to see what the best for me is at this time.

Stubones99. Yes, it is the Prairie I had on another thread about a problem in the engine.

Tim

Another option to consider is buying an outboard and doing a temporary mount to the transom / swimstep.

Sell the outboard when you get the other motor fixed.

Either way, good luck and happy to hear you’re joining the Prairie family.

I would fix the engine before moving it. If the engine is not worth fixing, then you should consider not buying the boat. Its not going to be much cheaper when you get it to N.C.. But get a good engine surveyor before you commit to buying the boat.

If the engine is bad, then you may have other issues with the boat that continues to bump up the price to get the boat in shipshape, that is if you are planning on doing more with it than sleeping on it. What engine is in it? That may give us some idea about fixing or if its worth it to even replacing it

Another option to consider is buying an outboard and doing a temporary mount to the transom / swimstep.

Sell the outboard when you get the other motor fixed.

Either way, good luck and happy to hear you’re joining the Prairie family.

BTW , I helped a guy rig an outboard to his 40’ sailboat that he took from Wilmington to Florida earlier this year. He used a 10 hp OB and stayed on the ICW.

FOG
Ive also done this with an outboard on a large sailboat coming down the ICW several years ago.

Possible, but time and distance and life interfere with such plans.

Trying to see if the price of a truck haul can compare in any way to fixing engine down there, hiring a capt to bring her up, pay expenses and possible issues.

We shall see how all the numbers crunch together.

Tim

So I might have a "great deal/opportunity" on a Prairie 29.

but her engine is not right and I do not have time to go there and work on it.

The only way you can possibly know you have a great deal is if you've got a price low enough to have a yard replace the engine and still be at a reasonable cost. Otherwise, you'd be better gambling on the Kentucky Derby next year.

If a boat can naturally meet height and width requirements then hauling is a great way to go, but once you need to remove the bridge then that changes that especially given the close proximity you have.

This sounds like a tough proposition given you can't get anytime away to look/work on it, you would really falling on the mercy of yards/hauler etc, which unfortunately doesn't have the best reputation for taking care of your every need. So I guess you can ask, if I can't spend the time now, what will change when I get it home, other then being closer. All the best.

Back
Top Bottom