View Single Post
Old 11-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #6
Phil Fill
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house
RE: Solo cruising

For single solo cruising you need to be close to the bathroom, galley, engine room and easy quick access to the dock. Its not really the size as once you get over 40 ft, 90% of the maneuvering/docking is at the helm.* I usually have/request someone at the dock to toss and secure the lines.*
When away for the dock usually 100% of the responsibility is mine as my wife and most of our guest are of little help.* The best feature for a solo boat is an auto pilot and GPS/electronic charts.* The auto pilot sand charts do not have to connected.* Going 6 to 10 knots most of the legs are long runs of san hour or more before having to change course.* A remote control for the auto pilot is nice so you are not stuck at/behind the helm.* I want wander 25 ft and many time I can sit out on the front deck.* ******
We sell equipment work wide, so I am frequently the craters and dock.* There are a lot of older boats and car being shipped from the US to many parts of the word, since the US dollar has decline in value and prices are depressed.* I use DHL as our freight forwarder as they handle picking up the equipment from the plant to deliver to the customer door.*

I have priced shipping the Eagle Down to Mexico, its costs a little more than on its bottom, but saves a lot of wear and tear on the boat.* After my wife and I cruise Alaska/Canada, we would like to move to warmer climate and a cheaper place to live south of the boarder.* The Eagle is 58 ft long, 14 ft beam and 40+ ton. The closer the boat can be the max 39 ft long, 8 ft wide, and 8 ft high which is a standard container size the cheaper and easier shipping it would be.****
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote