Swift 44 Fender Size

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Make
Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Hi all, just curious, what size fenders do you use?

And does anyone have any creative ways of storing them underway? I've been just keeping them on the sides, which I don't love.

Certain sizes of fenders I noticed fit in the storage compartment built into the swim platform.

Thanks,
Mike

And does anyone have any creative ways of storing them underway? I've been just keeping them on the sides, which I don't love.

Certain sizes of fenders I noticed fit in the storage compartment built into the swim platform.

Thanks,
Mike

The prior owner left me all different size fenders. I was going to try to clean them up and replace a couple of the smaller ones. That said, 10" fenders are probably fine for the average boater but it really depends on your docking / rafting situation (type of dock, winds, currents, etc). For instance, at one of my docks, I need larger fenders and double the # of fenders due to wind and currents. Some folks install fenders directly to the dock in those situations in addition to having tied to the boat. Round fenders can be good to keep the boat further off a dock or structure. I haven't tried storing any fenders yet so I can't comment what fits in the swim platform locker (round fenders definitely will not fit) but worst case is they get tied in a bunch to the railing inside the cockpit area. West has a good write-up: https://www.westmarine.com/WestAdvisor/Selecting-Fenders

Thanks,
Mike
I have two 12 inch and four ten inch. We keep two in the bow locker and four in the lazarrete. The two 10 inch in bow locker are extras. Typically use 3 or 4. The 12 inch are important to me.

I have two 12 inch and four ten inch. We keep two in the bow locker and four in the lazarrete. The two 10 inch in bow locker are extras. Typically use 3 or 4. The 12 inch are important to me.

I didn't even think of the bow locker! Thank you!

I usually keep 5 at the ready...

4 hang on adjusters on the rail like the pic. Adjuster on one end of the through line - other end pulled through enough to knot around the rail - EZ to deploy - undo th knot and it drops - adjust to position desired.

5th one is a ball I hang right where the fwd hull meets the platform and move it where / when needed

Attachments

• Hull Paint 2016 1.jpg
    Hull Paint 2016 1.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Hull Paint 2016 3.jpg
    Hull Paint 2016 3.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 82
The correct size is the largest that you can store. The correct number is the most that you can store...

Agree with COMODAVE.

Also on our ST44, I added 2 pcs 2" pvc pipe, +/- 8' long, lines on each end as a fender board..... (Easy to store)

I place (3) fenders behind the pipe. - Works great.

Also added a CAM lock on the teak rail - STBD side instead of the outboard side ring.

In a jamb using more fenders, I have a few Seasuckers......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom