stuffing box

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Ok this is a stupid question. But my stuffing box doesn't have a water hose going to it.

I assume the water for lubrication comes from the cutlass bearing. via the shaft log.

If I was to install a dripless system do I need to run a tube with water to the stuffing box I see these hoses running off the stuffing boxes all the time.

I have never delt with them. I repacked mine but that is about it.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 14th of November 2011 04:07:37 PM

Depends...for slow boats some stuffing tubes/dripless packings don't need the water flow...it's really dependent on design but boats around*10 knots or under*generally don't need the feed.

-- Edited by psneeld on Monday 14th of November 2011 04:13:43 PM

Thanks that is what I was hoping.

SD

SD, It does depend on the RPMs of your engine, however, PYI is going to recommend at the least a tube connected to the dripless, vented above the waterline and left open to the air. This allows the system to burp itself and purge air. The water line is an easy install if you decide to go that route. Chuck

Capn Chuck wrote:
SD, It does depend on the RPMs of your engine, however, PYI is going to recommend at the least a tube connected to the dripless, vented above the waterline and left open to the air. This allows the system to burp itself and purge air. The water line is an easy install if you decide to go that route. Chuck
*It's usually not about RPM...as the range of most boat engine rpm*isnt that extreme..it's about boat speed and whether higher speeds would draw water out of the stuffing tube to the point of lessening cooling.

Here's a couple statements from installation manuals/articles..

15A. Low speed boats:(Under 12 knots of boat speed under power).
Note:Sailboats or displacement powerboats with a powering speed below 12 knots can use either method A or B.

Using a 3/8
A dripless seal must be constantly
cooled by water. In low speed applications
(under about 12 knots) water pressure i
the stern tube is sufficient, but most models
have a hose barb in the seal housing for
injecting cooling water

-- Edited by psneeld on Wednesday 16th of November 2011 07:16:43 AM

If a regular packing seal looses it's water lubrication it gets a bit warm. If the carbon fiber/SS sleeve face looses it's water I'll bet it would self destruct very quickly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom