View Single Post
Old 05-03-2018, 10:46 AM   #1
cardude01
Guru

City: Victoria TX
Vessel Name: Bijou
Vessel Model: 2008 Island Packet PY/SP
What skill did you pass on to your kids?

My apocalyptic thread about climate change got me thinking about this again. I often think I’ve failed for not yet passing on a “skill” to my kids, but the only skill I really have is finance related, and selling and working on cars. I’ve tried to pass some of the finance skill on but that has not taken, and in their defense I’m a terrible teacher and probably don’t really know that much. I’ve passed on a little bit of mechanical skill. Not much. My kids are boys ages 18 and 21. One in college. One leaving for college in September.

One skill I would like to learn and then pass on to them would be cruising (probably sailing) self-sufficiently. This dovetails with my sometime apocalyptic views, and my desire to live the rest of my years cruising to interesting locations. This is kind of a pipe dream right now since my wife is really not on board (yet!) because she doesn’t think we could live full time on our smallish boat, and she is not ready to sell the dirt house and leave her community. If I bought a bigger boat (like a decent size sail cat) I would have a better chance, but I’m not ready to do that yet until my wife is ready.

Anyway, what skills were others on the forum able to pass on to their kids?
cardude01 is offline   Reply With Quote