bad fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Molly

Vessel Name
La Bella Vita
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 34T
I live in SW Florida where there is hot weather and then hotter weather. Fuel polishing is very common. Is there a simple way to tell if your fuel is mucked up? I guess after your 3rd filter change in 50 hours is a good sign? If you run some fuel into a mason jar and let it sit, is that a good way to check?

"I guess after your 3rd filter change in 50 hours is a good sign?"

Fuel polishing only cleans the liquid in the tank.

It does not clean the tank walls where the dead bugs and their excrement coat the tank walls.

One solution is better filtration with the use of a large pre filter ,the old style glass jar and fabric sock works well.

Centrifugal is needed for modern electronic engines , but not for most old boats.

A cure is to cut a hole in the tank and scrape the walls clean , special repair ports fill the hole.

Sadly this is a problem that should not exist.

A fuel tank with a bailable sump would have solved 100% of the fuel bugs hassle , but costs more than a box for fuel.

Frequent filter changes is not a bad thing. You are cleanin out your tank. If you don't fill up but instead run with low fuel and bouche it around you will clean the fuel faster aasis sloshes around. If your engines return a lot of fuel it works faster.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom